Baby beardie needs help!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your going to need a digital probe thermometer to get a accurate basking temp - it needs to be 105-110 for that baby --- the tank looks like a 30 gallon tank - we can help you get it set up but I am thinking this baby you have now may not make it -- he looks pretty sick --- he looks like hes dehydrated and he needs food --- you can try giving him some water by syringe and very slowly so he does not aspirate - you can feed some organic baby food squash and baby food chicken for protein in a syringe as well - slow - he looks malnourished -- I would mix it in a bowl kinda water it down maybe cut the very tip of the syringe off so the hole is a little wider and food doesnt plug
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Good that he pooped ! We can only say that he's critical + it will be GREAT if he survives in this condition. Just do what you can.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Feed him 3 small meals per day-- like 1 ml or cc at a time-- you don't want to overload his system and keep him hydrated-- too - his poops will tell you if he's hydrated--- the white urate- should be moist and formed-
Karrie

Stephh

Original Poster
I decided to take him back to the pet store today. I called earlier to tell them what was going on with him because I was afraid that if I waited too long that they would not reimburse me or replace the animal. I really wanted to save him. But I do think that he was going to die. I think they were sick when I got them. It was pretty frustrating because while I was there one of the employees said “oh he was definitely dropped. His head is tilting to the side and that means his neck is broken.” His head never tilted to the side while we had him. She literally was holding him at an angle. And on my kids lives, none of us ever dropped him. Ever! It was frustrating because I know we didn’t and she was basically accusing me of killing the animal and trying to get my money back. They wouldn’t give me my money back in the end, they said they would be getting some more in a few weeks and will replace it then. Praying that this next one will at least survive so that I can be done with this place. I think I will take it straight to the vet as long as I think it looks decent enough to even take out of the store. I’ve learned a lot over these last two days and will be looking a little more carefully at the animal before leaving next time.

Stephh

Original Poster
Part of me does think that I was moving in the right direction with him though. Like I said, I was just afraid that the store wasn’t going to handle the situation correctly if I waited too much longer and then it died. He had pooped twice by the time I decided to take him back. So that was promising. But he just wasn’t walking, at all. It’s like he couldn’t. I even tried a timer to to kind of Pick him up and then set them down to stand up and he would just lay on his belly.He also just looked really deflated. I’m assuming that he was possibly dehydrated. But I have been soaking him regularly and trying to give him drops of water with a syringe. I just don’t know what else I could have done. Thank you all so much for all of the advice! I am getting a bearded dragon come hell or Highwater! Hopefully the next one from the shop will be healthier and I definitely have all of the best advice to get off to the right start next time.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's really sad to hear, sad for you and sad for the little guy . :( Did you tell them about the other one that died right away ? Those people are killing the poor things, or they are getting sickly babies for the cheapest price and don't really care. Is there another store anywhere in your area that would have healthy beardies ?

Stephh

Original Poster
Yes, it is. And yes, they know about the first one that died. I took it back as well after it died. They were out of bearded dragons so she suggested a leopard gecko because it was the same price. So, now we have on of those as our “replacement” for the first one that passed. But after I took the second one back, I asked if o could just get my money back. I mean, every time you buy a different animal you have to buy a whole new set of supplies to go with. So I got the leopard gecko when I returned the first lizard but ended up spending another $120 for everything I needed for it. After I Brought the second one back I asked for my money back. She just paused for a long time and said I’m getting some more baby bearded dragons in a few weeks and I will replace yours with one of those when I get them. since originally going in, Ive read that other people have had issues In reference to getting their money back. They won’t give anyone their money back. They either get into it with people and basically run them off or I guess replace the item with another animal or the same one. It’s a mess.

Don't take this the wrong way, but:

You spent time and energy, asked for and received advice and help, saw some improvement, but decided to send the remaining baby back to certain death anyway, all because of a return (money-back) policy the store wouldn't honor anyway?

At that point, with that much time and care invested, I would have collected my little critter from them and gone home to see if indeed I did make a difference and brought it back to life. But I would have made SURE to NEVER set foot inside their door again.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
It's so sad hearing cases like this & it sounds like a call to animal welfare might be in order if this place is consistently selling sick/injured animals. It's very likely that nothing will come of it except to get a complaint on record, but if more people complain, the weight of complaints might finally move someone to action.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is pathetic these people have NO business in being in business and selling sick animals --- where is the animal welfare ???????????????????? If I knew who the business was I would be calling them in
Karrie

Stephh

Original Poster
@coopersdad I completely understand what you’re saying. I struggled with making that decision. I love animals and have many others as pets. I really wanted to save it but I ultimately felt that I was fighting a losing battle. I even took it to an exotic animal vet where I spent more than the price of the animal only to be told that there was nothing they could do with a baby that small and that far gone. The vet suggested a lot of the same that was suggested here. She also thought that it was too young to be sold. Some thing that the owner kind of confirmed when I returned it. She said that the breeders they work with were wanting to sell more and faster than usual. She assumed that this was because of Christmas. I don’t know what to make of that. But I guess it’s a possibility that the breeder sold them to young. In my opinion though the pet store should have known that they were too young as well and refuse to sell them. I suppose I could have euthanized the lizard though it would’ve cost more money. The vet suggestion was to take it back to where I got it from. She was familiar with this particular pet store and was also worried that I might not have any luck getting my money back. It’s not to say that money is more important than the animal, but I have five children and Many other pets. I didn’t mention before that I purchased other pets for some of my other children along with all of the supplies for those pets and supplies for this one as well. I didn’t exactly get nothing back from the pet store, they are going to give me another bearded dragon when they get more in. Obviously, not as good as getting your money back and purchasing one from somewhere else. But I really do not think that it was going to make it. I’m sorry if it seems that I’ve wasted anyone’s time with receiving advice on the topic. But I truly appreciate all of it and feel like I am better prepared now for the next one. I made many mistakes with this transaction. I actually was in the pet store to purchase a bird which I have been researching for months and months. I know I made a mistake by purchasing an animal without knowing the ins and outs of caring for it. I do feel extremely guilty for that. Had I known what to do if things started to go downhill from the beginning, I may have been able to do more in an appropriate amount of time and maybe things would’ve turned out differently. But I also paid $75 for the bearded dragon. Which I have come to realize after the fact is more than pretty much anywhere else I can find them. I definitely got ripped off in more ways than one and I do feel guilty for what that animal went through. I do believe it was sick when I received it but nonetheless I don’t want any animal to suffer. My first priority though is to provide my son with the pet that I originally purchased for him. And I just don’t think that keeping it and just letting it die was the best choice For my family. Again, so very grateful for all of the wonderful advice. We’re excited and looking forward to having a beardie as part of our family.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Be advised that bearded dragons are not pets for kids -- they are way more complex than a cat or dog or turtle -------------- they do not show many times when they are sick -- they are expensive to own - you will spend alot of money the first year trying to keep their diet healthy for them to live - I only say this because one you have more animals in the house and two its your childs pet----- plus cats and dogs are known to kill baby dragons ---- it has been seen many times on this forum--- the correct husbandry for a dragon is expensive to get set up --- I am just saying so you have time to think about what your getting into ---- even teenagers are finding it is more money to keep what they can afford ---
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I can understand your perspective Stepph and no one should demean you for anything. Mostly everyone is upset at the store and just want to be sure you get things right next time. Hopefully you'll get a healthy one but be sure you have the right lights + set up or even a healthy one won't last. Never ever buy a sleepy, lethargic beardie. They are always alert + usually energetic and on the plump side when they are healthy.

Stephh

Original Poster
@AHBD Thank you. I feel like the advice I have received in this forum is everything. I have the lights that have been suggested year as well as the adjustments to the set up I had before. I know that everyone here knows what they are talking about when it comes to this animal and I feel lucky to have stumbled across this page. I will definitely be inspecting The next animal that they are getting for me. I obviously have my concerns about taking another animal from them but I will be looking at it was a different set of eyes this time and will not leave the store with it if I do not believe that it is healthy. And because of this particular situation I’ll probably take it to the vet right away as well just to cover my bases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom