Baby beardie in need of help fast!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sara24354

Sub-Adult Member
Please use kale and carrots for treats only as I believe they both bind calcium absorption ( someone correct me if I'm worng but i think I remember reading that). Mustard greens,collard greens and turnip greens are much better staple greens and you can add fruits for treats as well,mine loves strawberries,blackberries and blueberries as a treat.

Omnomnami

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
When I woke up this morning she just looked so happy and full of energy. I dusted some crickets for her and offered them two at a time. She ate 6!!!
Now she's got even more energy and she's running around on my bed at the moment. Hehe. I went and bought a ReptiSun 10.0 so she could get the light she needed FAST. She just pooped on my floor...haha. It looked a lot better, white and black with the slimy stuff on the outside but still firm and it smelt pretty horrible. I believe she's doing WAY better and it's making me very happy as well. Thanks for all of your advice! I'll continue to post more info on her.

Omnomnami

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I got some pictures of the babies. These are about a week old though.

DSCN0145.jpg

(Top dark one is the translucent male, Zepik. The lighter one is my hypo baby girl, Rhark.)

DSCN0158.jpg

(Here's another pic of them. They are now kept separate.)

DSCN0159.jpg

These next pics are of my normal juvie male. His name is Ghoul but I like to call him Goo cause he's such a sweetie.

DSCN0168.jpg

DSCN0151.jpg

DSCN0133.jpg

DSCN0134.jpg

Ghoul likes to sit on my computer and hog all the attention so I can't type. Hahaha.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there. I have to say that you have received some great advice/suggestions. The changes you have made seem to have helped already and that is great. Separating them was a wise decision and they will both be happier. Just to warn you though, any change can cause them to slow down their appetite, etc so if either of them acts differently, it's because of those changes. So, please don't think they're missing each other and put them back in the same tank. Some owners have done that which just made matters worse.

I'm glad to hear that you have the Repti-Sun 10.0 on the way, just to make sure, it is the strip fluorescent bulb, right? If so, make sure the UVB is placed alongside a bright white basking bulb and that the UVB is 6 to 8" from your beardie when he is basking. It's also great that you ordered some digital thermometers, make sure they are the type with the long wire & probe on the end. In the meantime, if you could tell us the sizes of the tanks and the wattages of the basking bulbs you're using now, we could get an idea if the wattages are about right for each individual tank.

Make sure to give them all frequent baths as babies can go downhill VERY quickly if they get dehydrated. A 15 to 20 min bath in warm water daily or every other day is a great way to keep them properly hydrated. Use a washcloth in the bottom of sink or container to help them feel more secure and make sure their vent area (where they poop) is right down i the water.

They are all adorable and it's obvious that you love them very much. :love5: I would also suggest that you feed more of the greens/veggies that are on the Beautiful dragons site and printed in green ink as those are the best for them. You can mix a small amt of carrots and kale in with some of the staple greens and a variety is best as it keeps them interested.

You must be so relieved that Rhark ate some crickets today and had more energy. It would be a good idea to offer the crickets at least 2 times a day and 3 times would be even better as sometimes their little bellies can't handle a lot at just 1 feeding. Feed all the crickets they can eat each time in about a 10 to 15 min timeframe. Dust the crickets with calcium with D3 but phosphorus-free 5 days a wk, but only 1 feeding a day and with vitamins the other 2 days a wk, but only 1 feeding a day.

I'm sorry if I repeated anything that someone has already told you, just trying to cover everything so your little ones can thrive. Thanks for posting the pictures of them and we are here if you have any other questions/concerns. :wink:

Diane

Omnomnami

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The light I purchased is the strip fluorescent. I have 3 more purchased from petmountain.com along with more fixtures for them. The UVB is exactly 8" from them and their branch allows them to climb an additional 3" closer is they want. The basking lamp is 100 watts and is kept 12" away. Again, the branch allows them to get closer to the basking lamp. Both lights are over head and give them direct rays. Once I get those thermometers I'll be able to tell you the temps.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's good that they are all the Repti-Sun fluorescents. It would help if you could post the 3 different tank sizes and basking bulb wattages to help us to make sure that the wattages are pretty much correct so that they aren't too hot or too cold or if they are about right. We all have different size tanks so we can kinda estimate what wattage should be needed.

Omnomnami

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The babies are in 20 gallon tanks. They both have 100 watt basking bulbs. I said the measurements of how far the lights are from the babies.

My juvenile is in a 55 gallon tank with a 150 watt basking bulb. I took out the Slimline so he doesn't have a UVB until the new ReptiSun 10.0's get here.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thanks for that info, I hope you don't feel that I was pressuring you because I didn't mean to.

The 100 watts seems like a little too much for the 20 gallons even at a distance of 12" away. I would keep an eye on them and if they seem to be avoiding the basking area, would cut back to a 75 watt household bulb until you get your thermometers. Babies can get dehydrated very quickly and we wouldn't want that to happen if the temps are too high. I suggest you watch the one in the 55 gallon with the 150 watt bulb too. I have a 100 watt T-Rex mercury vapor bulb on my 55 gallon at a distance of 15" and get a basking temp of 105 to 106. I also have a 40 watt household bulb on the cool side which gives me a temp of 80 there which allows for her to thermo-regulate. Just trying to give you some suggestions, just in case.

Omnomnami

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok. I'll keep a close eye on the dragons. They're all drinking and eating their veggies so that's good. Once I get payed this coming week, I'll buy new bulbs for both the babies and the juvie. Thanks. :)

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
No problem, be sure to keep us updated on how they're all doing and good luck. :wink:

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Ah, really terrific news today... and your dragons are so dear. :love5:

Yes do, please keep us posted!

The best,
Em

Omnomnami

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The babies are doing great! They have their new lights and they're just so full of energy! I give them so much attention and the little girl is so interested in humans. She doesn't run away at all. (Wish I could say the same thing about the male. Haha.) Thanks again for your advice, everyone! I'll post more pictures if I can get them to stay still for the camera. :blob5:

Omnomnami

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I noticed yesterday that Rhark was making a twitchy swimming motion with her front legs...could that be MBD? She's been doing it more often today. I have the ReptiSun 10.0 bulb and I've been dusting her crickets with D3 calcium. Maybe it's just because she's been running around a lot recently, she could be worn out...I don't know what I've been doing wrong.

Please help me! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom