Baby Bearded Dragon Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you're going to invest in a hood like that I think you're better off getting the T5 version and use the 5.0 bulb (6-8'' optimal distance) so that you can upgrade later to a 10.0 (10-14'' optimal distance) and not have to buy a new fixture. The T8 will top out at the equivalent (ish) output of the T5 5.0.

Are you still using the 100w PowerSun? That should be producing a good amount of UVB at 10-12''. The downside is just that it's difficult to control the heat when you have the bulb fixed at that distance for UVB output. If you can maintain 103 basking surface temps with the combination of bulbs and the PowerSun is at 10-12'' above the main basking area I think that should work for now.

If you do decide to move to a separate UVB fixture, you can move the PowerSun into a portable dome fixture and use it as a basking spot for outside the tank and for travel.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Oops wrong dragon. :). I don't know if that 20" has a plastic cover on it--- if it does take it off-- hang inside the tank--- w/ decor piece directly underneath approx 8-10 inches -- T 8' s need to be replaced every 6 months- if you need ideas for things to use let me know
Karrie

Aireon719

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
It doesn’t have a plastic cover on it but I do seem to be having trouble mounting it on the inside cause they put the cord on the back which prevents me from putting against the glass.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You dont want it against the glass --- are you talking about in the back of on the back wall-- you want it out from the glass so you can put your basking decor piece directly under it --- if you want set it width wise across in tank instead of length wise running beside the basking dome --
Karrie

Aireon719

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I put it beside the basking dome in the middle. I also replaced the duel dome with a single dome and also replaced the 100w power sun bulb with a 150w repti basking spot lamp. And I had to redneck rig some shelf brackets to hold the uvb fixture. Does that look better?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It sounds better -- here are some ideas if you need to readjust the UVB for hanging
3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties--- potted plant wire hangers fishing line ---- shoe laces
Did you post a pic of it it did not post
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of message box then click on the pic it should post
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok you need to get a piece of decor and set it directly underneath that UVB approx 8-10 inches from he needs to be able to sit directly under it
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Did you get a new basking temp after you put this in 150w repti basking spot lamp ? With a digital probe thermometer?
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok sounds good --- he should start eating good w/ the new UVB -- if you need any help w/ tips on getting him to eat his salads or need websites for insects/ worms let me know I will post some
Karrie

Aireon719

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I will. Thanks so much for everything. And I actually made his first salad today and while he did eat a bit he didn’t eat much. I’m guessing he is still scared. And today he is more active cause normally when I hold him he stays still but today he keeps trying to escape me. I know that sounds bad but it means he isn’t scared stuff.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Dont be afraid to mix her greens -- they like variety -- I add squash to my mixed greens along w/ some gr or rd pepper once in awhile some shredded sweet potato I have a cucumber in the house now so I added some of that -- that is not a usual thing - green beens can be added -- thawed out frozen peas which is not a usual thing either -- fruit is not their forte --- I have tried all kinds of fruit and have not found anyone they really like --- and its only an occasional thing as well -- too much sugar from fruit
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom