Baby bearded acting weird, some advice needed please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyffersnpaws

Juvie Member
that's exactly what it means... things are good... just watch the next stool to check for undigested crix... personally I like the dubia roaches... my guys seem to handle them a bit better. Keep up the good work... he looks great

nahuelarg86

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Update:

-Some good news-
First, I could put some cool furniture to the tank. But this was only possible thanks to Lisa (pyffersnpaws) who donated her unused furniture! Thanks a lot Lisa!! :blob5:
Second, I changed the position of the UVB light, now, instead of being kind of in the side, is on top. Yay!

So, today I gave him a bath, to try to help him with his shedding, even though, the only part that he shedded so far is his left upper leg. So I don't know if he will be shedding more.
He isn't eating a lot still. But I gave him to try some dubias and he seem to love them! I wish I could start a colony but my landlord does not approve.
Since I modified his tank, I'm expecting some distress from him, so I'll have to see how that goes.

Here are some pics of the new setup:

camerazoom2012011215554.jpg

camerazoom2012011215560.jpg

camerazoom2012011216040.jpg

camerazoom2012011216075.jpg

NightFury

Hatchling Member
He's a very beautiful dragon :) I know with time you will become more familiar with him and how to care for him. It looks like you may have your problem fixed, they do tend to eat less sometimes during a shed. I wouldn't worry too much but a checkup wouldn't hurt either, this way you know if he's on the right track. I recommend you get a bigger tank soon, a 20 gal will be too small for him soon enough. This is always a great site with lots of great help from people who love their beardies as much as you do. Keep up the good work, I can tell you are trying really hard ;)

nahuelarg86

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
NightFury":1bbgr2wz said:
He's a very beautiful dragon :) I know with time you will become more familiar with him and how to care for him. It looks like you may have your problem fixed, they do tend to eat less sometimes during a shed. I wouldn't worry too much but a checkup wouldn't hurt either, this way you know if he's on the right track. I recommend you get a bigger tank soon, a 20 gal will be too small for him soon enough. This is always a great site with lots of great help from people who love their beardies as much as you do. Keep up the good work, I can tell you are trying really hard ;)

Thanks for your support! I really appreciate it.

nahuelarg86

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Look! Some shedding is going on! At last that dull looking tail (that he got since I got him) is going away. Could be possible that it took 3 weeks for him to shed that tail?

Pics:

camerazoom2012011316090.jpg

pyffersnpaws

Juvie Member
Oh yeah... it can take a while for them to shed. It took forever for pumpkin to shed this last time. Make sure you are bathing him frequently while he is shedding.

nahuelarg86

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
*Update*

So my beardie was doing really well lately. He's gain wight and grown a bit. Last time I measured him he was like 45 gr and almost 10" long :D
I used to put him in a little kritter container when I cleaned his house, but now he's grown so much that he can actually jump and get out :blob5:

So, here is the thing. I don't know if it's something to worry about, but I notice that my beardie's legs/arms are kind of skinny :-?
Here are some pics, can you tell me if that looks fine or not?

camerazoom2012012812011.jpg

camerazoom2012012813431.jpg

camerazoom2012012813441.jpg

camerazoom2012012813530.jpg

He looks perfectly healthy to me, how long has the shed been going on? To answer your concern about him swallowing air and puffing up (if someone already hasn't brought it up, sorry didn't read through all the replies) I read that they do this to help loosen the skin when they are shedding. My little guy just had his first shed and was doing that for 2 days... it was quite hilarious to see. The colour coming out looks beautiful, but again, it shouldn't take longer than a week (I believe, could be wrong) to shed. Make sure you are giving him daily warm baths (around 90-95 degrees) and make sure he doesn't retain shed on his toes ^_^ They act quite strange during this time.

Best wishes for you and the little one!

pyffersnpaws

Juvie Member
He looks very healthy and normal :) As he gets a bit older he'll feel out his legs a little more. If you find that the shed is having a little difficulty coming off, soak him in his bath and gently use a toothbrush in the direction of his scales to help loosen the shed, pay attention to his extremities. Glad to see an update on him!

Mirthy

Sub-Adult Member
Hi there,
I have been reading all about your beautiful little dragon. He looks spectacular! Scrawny arms are just a baby stage, you'll miss them! :p
I wanted to share that my dragon always gets very fussy about eating right BEFORE he sheds. Sometimes its the first sign that he's finally going to get that dull stuff off.
Also, I don't think anyone confirmed but yes, a bit of liquid in with a well formed poop is a sign of a well hydrated dragon getting rid of some extra fluids.
Wow 45 grams and 10" ! Nice job!

nahuelarg86

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Clearskies14":y7mr2x6j said:
He looks perfectly healthy to me, how long has the shed been going on? To answer your concern about him swallowing air and puffing up (if someone already hasn't brought it up, sorry didn't read through all the replies) I read that they do this to help loosen the skin when they are shedding. My little guy just had his first shed and was doing that for 2 days... it was quite hilarious to see. The colour coming out looks beautiful, but again, it shouldn't take longer than a week (I believe, could be wrong) to shed. Make sure you are giving him daily warm baths (around 90-95 degrees) and make sure he doesn't retain shed on his toes ^_^ They act quite strange during this time.

Best wishes for you and the little one!

Thanks for your help! Besides the gulping he also does the eye-bulging, I guess is because he is trying to shed his head, he also is rubbing his face on the rocks. I give him baths every other day (I would give more but I lack of time), but his shedding is weird. It started with his left arm, then the right after a week, the the legs after 3 days, and now he has the trunk and the head to come. :shock:

nahuelarg86

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
pyffersnpaws":3lvmjwfu said:
He looks very healthy and normal :) As he gets a bit older he'll feel out his legs a little more. If you find that the shed is having a little difficulty coming off, soak him in his bath and gently use a toothbrush in the direction of his scales to help loosen the shed, pay attention to his extremities. Glad to see an update on him!

Thank you Lisa! Yes, I used the toothbrush last time, but seems he doesn't like it so much... overall he doesn't like baths at all.

nahuelarg86

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Mirthy":3j6ef8jl said:
Hi there,
I have been reading all about your beautiful little dragon. He looks spectacular! Scrawny arms are just a baby stage, you'll miss them! :p
I wanted to share that my dragon always gets very fussy about eating right BEFORE he sheds. Sometimes its the first sign that he's finally going to get that dull stuff off.
Also, I don't think anyone confirmed but yes, a bit of liquid in with a well formed poop is a sign of a well hydrated dragon getting rid of some extra fluids.
Wow 45 grams and 10" ! Nice job!

Thanks a lot!! :) I worry a lot about this little bugger!

Mirthy

Sub-Adult Member
that type of shedding is normal. I think beardies have their own special patterns. Norris does his back legs together, then his front legs. His tail is separate. Then he does his entire back and belly. His head sheds in three different parts, too! Lips/chin, nose and then the back of his head. Right before a tail shed is when he gets the grumpiest. They all have their own little quirks. They aren't like snakes who just shrug off the whole thing in one piece. Although, sometimes, especially a baby, will just seem to explode in shed! So be prepared for that! :D Shedding is going to be pretty much a constant for a while. One part or another. It means you are doing good. They are out growing their skins so fast at that stage. Be proud :D Each shed pat yourself on the back. Oh and expect changes in color and pattern!
Carrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Godaxus
Top Bottom