Are you sick of me yet? Ha question on handling

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Either in a bowl or just on the ground in the tank. I raised babies from the egg, with 4-5 babies to each rearing tub. I would put the crickets [ if you're going with cricks as a staple ] in an oatmeal container or jar with a pinch of calcium powder to coat them. I'd then shake it enough to stun the crix, then toss them in near the beardies. The wobbly crix are very enticing and easy for the babies to grab. You can use the same method.....just a few crix at first to be sure the beardie is going to eat them. If he eats 4-5, offer more , etc, etc until he's had enough.

If you will be offering dubia roaches or Phoenix/calci worms, a bowl is fine or a few at a time on the floor of the tank.

Feed it insects in a bowl, and salad by hand maybe. You could even take him out of the take every other feeding so it doesn't think that every time you stick your hand in its cage that it's food time.

Honestly, you will learn how to handle on your own. It's a learning experience and takes getting used to. You have to learn to trust each other. When i got my guy he was an adult so I felt comfortable putting him down on my floor and I would sit with him, talk to him and pet him. When I got comfortable petting him I started holding him. He's very docile and just hangs out on my chest or thighs when I'm reading a book, watching tv or playing video games. Since he's an adult it's easier to keep him out and we sometimes cuddle all night until bed time. He's gaped and puffed at me- and one time even nipped at me, but it was more of a warning and did not hurt at all. He was just telling me he didn't like how I was petting him. The more you hold and pet your beardie the more accustomed to humans they are. If you're feeding your beardie in its tank, I reccomend petting in the cage regularly too so that everytime you stick your hands in its cage it doesn't think it's feeding time.

When I first got my beardie to take her out of the cage as I thought she would run away. I read the best way to get them used to you is to handle and hand feed them so I faced my fears and let him hang out w=with me while I studied. Now Saphira is happier out of her cage than in, I usually only sit with her on my bed while she snuggles my shirt but sometimes I walk around with her. I don't take her out unless she gets in my hand without struggle and only leave her out for 30-60 because of the cold winter weather.

I am new to bearded dragons but have spend a lot of time on this forum, so I would only take this as an experience I wanted to share and not a guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maryjane91383
Top Bottom