Are these symptoms of a dieing or sick bearded dragon?!!!!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Do you have anything you can raise the 100 up with ? Bricks, books, blocks of wood... anything. You can even use a lamp to hang the fixture from. I think that the 100 is what you need, just need to adjust the distance a bit.
Janie.
Also, bright white is what you should be using, as any colored bulbs are hard on dragon eyes.

A7X899

Original Poster
i measured the temps. right on the log it is around 110 115 and in the cool it is around 80.

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Ok so the temps are a little high babies need temps of 105-110, and 100-105 for adults. What did you use to raise the log up with?

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Ok, so you will either need to move the bulb up a little, or somehow lower the log. Sorry if i missed this, but how old is your BD?

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
zebraflavencs":6ec84 said:
Also, bright white is what you should be using, as any colored bulbs are hard on dragon eyes.

Yes, very important... the bright white light guards beardie's eyes from the UVB rays, and also provides proper UVA and mental health.

Buggsy":6ec84 said:
Ok so the temps are a little high babies need temps of 105-110, and 100-105 for adults. What did you use to raise the log up with?

Second this. And as you have an adult, the temps can actually be taken a bit lower to 90-100.

I would definitely try to secure a digital with probe however, because at this point I'd be concerned that the temps you're getting here are not accurate, and could have you on a bit of a "wild goose chase" KWIM? Also, remember a regular old household white bulb can be used as a basking bulb, so long as it's incandescent (i.e, not the energy saver type). Perhaps you might have one lying about... or one you could "borrow" from a near by lamp. :wink: I actually had to do this yesterday (in a pinch), as the temps in our house got too warm and our MVB shut down (a safety feature).

Good luck. Please keep us posted.

Em

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
So, you are using a 75 watt red bulb right now? The red bulb is probably contributing his eye closing too. Do you have a 75 watt household light bulb that you can use instead? You're getting a basking temp of 110 to 115 under the 75 watt bulb with the round gauge thermometer sitting on the basking log that is 8" under the light? If that's the case, I would see if you have a 60 watt household light bulb in another lamp in your home right now, and replace with that. It's hard to know what the temps actually are right now, but since he could be overheating, better to be more cautious and use a lower wattage bulb than the 75 watt. Is he acting lethargic, eyes still closed? Did he eat anything today? I would also recommend that you give him a nice warm bath for about 20 minutes, if he isn't strong enough to hold his head up then hold him in the palm of your hand making sure that his vent area (where he poos) is right down in the water because that's how they get hydrated.

When do you think you can get to Walmart to get the probe thermometer? Please update us as soon as you can about how he's doing today.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's good that he ate a superworm. By rep cal, are you referring to pellets?

Were you able to change the red light for a white one?

dna14

Sub-Adult Member
Hi! Just read this thread and I'm really pulling for your dragon! I didn't notice if you'd changed the substrate yet and if it was posted that you did, my apology. Just wanted to say that we had our Twitch on crushed walnut shells and it looked so natural! We were like, it's nuts what could it hurt? And she got very sick. We had other issues too, not bathing enough, UVB not close enough, etc. We did get the thermometer Diane and Em recommended and it's made a world of difference. I have learned to check the temps every couple of days because as the weather changes, so do the temps in the tanks. Also wanted to throw in that we got a chain like you hang a lamp from and hung the basking light from the ceiling. It's really handy in that when we need to make changes, we can just move the chain to a higher or lower link and no worries about fires. Best of luck, I'll be checking for updates! *hugs*

A7X899

Original Poster
thank you all so much. he is eating a bit more. I got him to eat a bit of baby food. we changed the light bulb, and now he is up on his log looking like he used to. he still cant move right and sometimes goes to sleep for a while. At the moment i do not have enough money to get any tiles/slate for the bottom. unless someone can tell me a really cheep place to get them. I dont know what else to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom