Anyone ever get very active AFTER laying eggs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeosMom

Juvie Member
Crystal just finished laying 26 infertile eggs - her second clutch this season. Everything was normal for her (although she is totally bizarre in the way she lays eggs, but this is our sixth clutch, so I'm used to it). She laid her last egg and put her head down and closed her eyes and started sticking her tongue out a little bit. No problem. Bath time. I've been down this road before.

So, I put her in the bath. She keeps circling the sink and nose bumping the edges as if she's looking for something. I gave her lots of time to soak, but she was being really odd. So, I took her out and drained the sink and put her on the towel to dry. She dove back into the empty sink. Ok... odd, but I can work with this. I refilled the sink. She kept doing her odd circling thing, but was obviously happy, so I let her be. She decided she was ready to get out and started reaching for the counter. Fine. I put the towel there and she climbed right out. This is where she normally just collapses in my arms and spends the evening snuggling and sleeping. A nice break for both of us after a week of her being totally wild. Not tonight...

She is crazy. Full of energy. Won't sit in my arms. Won't be still anywhere. Right now she is running around the house getting into everything. This is her typical behavior before she lays eggs - never after. I have never seen anything like it. My other female has never done anything like this either.

Egg laying rules in my house... Get hyper and want out of the viv constantly. Eat like a horse. Stop eating. Dig like a maniac. Lay the eggs. Get a bath (drink the water for one, but not the other). Collapse for the night. Ravenously eat all the bugs I will feed the next morning.

She is currently trying to figure out how to get into the air intake. Really?

Has anyone ever had one behave like this before? If so, any suggestions?

Mindi

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Mindi....I've had females stay quite active after laying, but they've always been in their tank. Some seem to want to keep " covering " their eggs even though they are no longer in the lay box and/or just wander the tank scratching here + there. But as I mentioned, I always return them to the tank so they can really warm up, it can be chilling for them to go from a damp dig box in to a bath and then in our " comfortable for us" room temp., especially since we can't totally dry them off and they can't generate any heat on their own.

But she might have an egg or 2 left, or she might just have been feeling antsy for some other reason. You know they are prone to the DYC behavior [ Drive You Crazy ] :lol:

NeosMom

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks for that. Good to hear it's not totally unheard-of. Crystal has always laid her eggs after lights out and last night there wasn't much time left til they went out.

I said she is bizarre... well, she won't lay in a box. I've tried every mixture ever posted online and she refuses to dig in one. She digs in her sandbox uselessly. Then she searches out dark corners / holes. Last night she chose the recliner. So, I pick her up and bundle her in soft blankets and let her lay in there. I know... really odd. But it is the only thing that works around here. After she finishes she gets a very warm bath (generally cuz her lights are out) and then cuddles until my bedtime. She doesn't want anyone but me to hold her and she doesn't want to be left alone. In the morning she's ready to eat a ton and wants her Viv super warm for a couple of days. I know it's all "wrong" but she is a very difficult girl with an attitude and a half so I feel bad for her when she's laying and I let her have her way.

Thanks again for responding. I feel better knowing reasons she may have done that.

Mindi

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It seems that there are a slight majority of females that lay in the orthodox way....they dig around for a while, pace, glass surf and then eventually lay in their designated lay box or under a log in their tank. Then there are those that have strange behavior and reject all our " perfect" laying areas that we so painstakingly fix for them. Your silly girl is one of those that has her own mindset on laying for some reason that makes no sense to you but it works for her. :)

NeosMom

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks. :D I was afraid someone was going to cry dragon abuse here. I appreciate the support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom