"Answering Newcomers Threads"

Status
Not open for further replies.

morphmom

BD.org Addict
-So, I've been "making my rounds" trying to say hi to newbie's and answering the questions I can, and I've noticed a really strange trend. Many very easy to answer questions are not getting answered as no one is responding :(
-I have a lengthy thread and a smallish group of people who I "visit" nearly everyday. (I really care about them :love5: ) I get wrapped up in my own thread and the threads of others and sometimes it's hard to venture out and help those who really need advice. I'm guilty.
-I'd like to suggest that more of us (myself included) try to find the time to help the people just starting out in the world of BD's as we were all newbie's once. :wink:

XiDiS

Juvie Member
Honestly... the same questions get asked OVER and OVER and OVER.... i havent been on the forums long... but im sick of typing the same stuff out. This may sound a little harsh to some people... but whatever. The forums has a great search feature. IMO people should use it before starting a thread for every single thing that pops into there head. Im sure im not the only one that feels this way either.

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Yeppers! :wink: I hear ya XiDiS. Some new people should really put in more effort. However, it never hurts to point them to the place that has the info they're looking for so they can do their own research. It really doesn't take much effort at all to provide a hyperlink :wink:

chastityx

Sub-Adult Member
as you noticed, i offered my hand at helping someone and they were rude. most of the people ask questions and then don't even do what we tell them is right. i'm over it. lol.

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
chastityx":16uvvqbt said:
as you noticed, i offered my hand at helping someone and they were rude. most of the people ask questions and then don't even do what we tell them is right. i'm over it. lol.
Yet another valid point. :wink: I have seen this many times and it really is a shame. However, let us not paint everyone with the same brush, There are diamonds in the ruff. The point of a forum is to learn and to teach. So why not advise those who are willing to take the advice? :wink:

LaDragonEcho

Hatchling Member
Im a newbie poster and i feel bad sometimes because ill be on here and i am one of those people that LOVES researching and i honestly mean that and im not being sarcastic in any way when i say i realy do LOVE doing my research and finding the rights and wrongs... when i have a question on here usually i try to stop myself and go search to see if it has been answered already...like i was trying to figure out how to get my little one to eat veggies and i found a lot of people have posted the same thread but what i kept finding was on adult beardies much older than my own and i didn't know if i was to expect my little one to eat his greens now or until he is much older...then i saw one that said if they don't find a liking to greens at a younger age that it can be difficult to get them interested in veggies in adulthood if they never come around to it at a younger age..so i didn't want that to become a future problem and i put out my own thread on when i should expect him to eat veggies and how to get him to eat them.... i did search but i wasn't finding specific answers for my problem so i do try to not be such a repeat...then i have DYI post which i guess i never really search those but maybe i will i just don't know if some of my ideas would be repeats :/

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Great to hear from a new comer :D Good points.
There is misinformation here just like anywhere else. Some people believe they really do have the correct info, but really don't because they were misinformed themselves. It happens to all of us. Because of this, don't feel as though there is any harm in getting as many opinions as possible. Newbie's (or anyone, for that matter) who want to learn shouldn't be put down for making sure they understand the answer to their question 100% :wink:

LaDragonEcho

Hatchling Member
yeah i have had my little guy since the day b4 easter and i already have posted so much... but i just want whats best and ill have my dubia here soon! so i can't wait but im sure ill have a lot more questions coming about the dubia breeding and all that fun stuff!

check out my post if you would like to! i have lots of ongoing questions!

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
I feel like I have gotten away from the helping part of the forum, because several times I have been met with rude responses or criticism of my own care. I do believe some of the older members should help more, because that what the forum is for. Yes the same questions get asked and the search tool isn't used as it should be but that doesn't mean we should respond or expect someone else to, that will start giving the site a bad reputation and discourage people from coming to get help.

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Thank you Lindz. That would actually make for another valid topic of it's own. Respect and using the PM option rather then letting the topic fly off track and lead to something personal. It's ok to disagree with each other. But, lets all keep it tactful and again, we just can't throw up our hands and say to heck with everyone due to butting heads with the precious few who would rather argue then take the advice they asked for :wink:

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
Lindz0518":2pose6ie said:
I feel like I have gotten away from the helping part of the forum, because several times I have been met with rude responses or criticism of my own care. I do believe some of the older members should help more, because that what the forum is for. Yes the same questions get asked and the search tool isn't used as it should be but that doesn't mean we should respond or expect someone else to, that will start giving the site a bad reputation and discourage people from coming to get help.

I've been on the forum for 2 years now and I think it's easier for newer members to help newer members. Once you've typed a response to the same question 4 times over the course of a week, it gets very tiring over 2 years. Most of the questions newbies ask are repetitive in nature and can be answered by other newer members who have asked a similiar question in the past. Sometimes, if I do answer, I end up just posting a hyperlink to a thread not a few weeks old.

I do think that people are very quick to jump on another member whose advice deviates from the accepted norm. I honestly don't feel that it hurts to hear someone else's experiences.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
So as a moderator I'm going to poke my nose and tell everyone that is ANYONE is RUDE it is unacceptable behaviour and this should be reported by pressing the asterisk on the right above the post. It's very important that this be stated, it is unacceptable behaviour to be rude to anyone on here. I can't say it enough, it has made people leave this wonderful forum and it is even in our policy under Website Comments. So please, report it and we'll get on top of it.

I do my best to try to answer any questions from anyone on this forum, but I work full-time and have 6 dragons to care for (yes, I'm a crazy reptile lady) so sometimes I run out of time. Sometimes, even doing research doesn't bring up the best answers. So, I have no problem with anyone pm'ing me if they need more help.

I have learned a lot on this forum in the over 6 years I"ve been a member. Three of my beardies lived long lives because of the answers to my constant questions and I feel I've helped a lot of people keep their beardies healthy, too. I know it's impossible to answer everyone's post, but being a new beardie owner can be terrifying, which is probably why there are so many new posts on here. I'm hoping there will be an updated article on here, have put forward that request and it's being worked on, so when it's in place there will be something to refer new owners to.

I want to thank everyone for doing their best to answer all they can. It's much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom