Anorexic approx 2mo with failure to thrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
How great that Strax is shedding! That would explain his lack of appetite. Heartening news that he is holding his head up, as well. I had a hard time finding all of Praxis in that photo. Found the bottom part first, then the top later. Cute picture. Hope your trip is going well!

woodnt

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Here is a pic of Strax today. Looks like most of the shed is gone from his back and is down around his tail.

1175723_405597792873921_628789380_n.jpg

Guess this might also explain why he has been (as I would describe) mopy around the viv.

I'm relatively new to this site as well as to dragons since my family just got our first a few weeks ago. During this last week or so I have been a voracious reader of this site trying to learn all I can to do all I can for our little Nessie. I became entranced in your little one's story and deeply touched by how you and your wife worked together to pull him through. How wonderful! I am a lot like you. My animals are my babies, my little loves.. They keep me going and give me a purpose to wake up each day.

Thank you so much for sharing your journey with your kids. I learned a lot from reading it and will most likely continue to follow along. Give them Beardie babies a kiss from me if you would.

woodnt

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
StarStitcher, thank you so much for your kind words and interest. We do love all our little animals almost as much as our children (I have to say almost). Feel free to post a pic of Nessie if you would like, or link to where you have already posted. I would love to see him/her. I gave him that kiss, too (and many others).

Yest, Strax just did his boost. Today however, he took a couple of dubia. I was just about to give up and start giving him his boost when BAM! he snagged one. I grabbed another and he took that one, too. He didn't go for a third one, but it still made me happy he has a drive to get them. He drank/ate/whatever his boost just fine, too. I had him out a bit on the couch. He didn't explore too much, and moved mostly when I would disturb him petting him. He is still a little lazy in his viv not having his head and upper body up all the time like I see with the baby beardies in the pet store, but he is moving around locations in the viv pretty frequently, so he isn't being a complete lug.

woodnt

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I'm so excited for Praxis (I don't know why that much, though). We got those horn worms the other day. A couple were absolutely huge. We put him in his "supersized" feeder bin and put it in there. It was so funny. He didn't know what to think of it. There were a few BSFL in it from yest when my wife fed him. He went after those first. I let him try to get used to the hornworm, but he just didn't know what to do. I think the size intimidated him. So, I put in a smaller one he was crawling towards he could see through the feeder bin. No joy on that one. I gave him a few more BSFL's as "appetizers," and after a bit, he finally went for the smaller hornworm. Several mins later, he went after mondo-boy hornworm. I think Mikie likes them! :D

I hope Trenzalor likes them, too.

Also, when Strax starts reliably eating more, we'll order him some, too.

We might try some of the butter worms tomorrow, but those are a little more Strax-sized. I'm glad you can fridge them. I wish you could do the same with he hornworms. I don't want to feed them too much as I know they are fatty.

woodnt

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Esther19":1v8m0qp5 said:
Oh my gosh! That's an excellent picture! You need to submit it for the calendar!

First I have heard of a calendar. Would you please tell me more?

Hello,
Is this what you gave Strax to get his appetite boosted up? http://www.amazon.com/gp/cart/view.html/ref=lh_cart_vc_btn.
I'm getting a bit worried about Nessie. She hasn't been eating hardly at all this past week and even though she grew 2.5cm I don't know how she did it. We have been trying BSFs with her and I'm kind of wondering if I got them from a source that may not have been appropriate for her. They seem large to me even though we give her the littlest ones. And stupid me... I got a 1000 of them thinking this was the ultimate best diet for her. She at a few the first day... and hasn't touched them since. She also has hardly touched her crickets. She's been pooping and they look good. Well, I think one day she didn't but today she did a couple. Anyway, I'm worried. I put her in her new habitat last week and she seems to love it. SHe's funny. She goes at the top of her stick to bask (still making her a custom basking surface) but then runs over to the cool side of her tank to her silk plant to hide in to go to bed. LOL.

We all love her dearly. But it was my little girl's persistent admiration and love of lizards that sent us out to look at them better. Now my little girl will look at her and just keep whispering, "Wow" as she gazes upon her or gently strokes her and the first words out of her mouth when she gets home from school is, "Did my lizard grow today"? She even made a song she sings to her. She sings, "I love my lizard" over and over in a song to her. Considering she is only 5 years old, and developmentally she is about 3 and she is still learning to talk about what is "normal" this is awesome. My daughter was severely neglected to the point that when I got her at 3 years of age, she was basically a feral child. It took a long time before she could bond or anything. Yet she is soooo crazy about her lizard. If she lost Nessie... well, I fear it would set her back. It would cause all of us to grieve but for Winter, it would be devastating.

Anyway, I'm not expecting her to die anytime soon but I want to take all precautions I can and when she doesn't eat it scares the bejeebers out of me if you know what I mean.

Anyone able to use about 1K of BSFs?

What food should I try next?

woodnt

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hello StarStitcher,

This is the supplement we are giving. The link you provided just took me to your purchase bin.

Repti-Boost

I would have my beardies and chameleon eat BSFLs for every meal if I could, but I couldn't make that happen (esp with my bigger beardie, he got tired of them for a while, but tore them up yesterday evening). I personally like dubia, silkworms (a little hard to manage), BSFL, and crickets.

How big is your Nessie? What they can eat often depends on size, too. I'm guessing he/she is still a baby or there wouldn't be a concern with the size of the BSFL. I learned (I think from Diane) that smaller beardies esp need care with the size of feeders (you have probably heard the size should be the space between the eyes). I thinking thought that this applies most for hard-bodied feeders as I've never seen any beardie or cham with an eye separation enough for a big hornworm.

Beardies who are not eating can get tired of a food (like my Praxis). Switching to another feeder is best. You have tried BSFL and crickets. Do you have access to anything else locally (like dubia? Avoid mealworms) When that happens, I recommend wax worms if you baby isn't too small. Be careful with them, though. They are very fatty and addicting.

Praxis is much bigger, so we give superworms once a week or so. You can get small silk worms and small hornworms at many of the shops. We have some butter worms, but haven't used them yet. They are supposed to love them!

She might also just be getting ready to shed.

How long have you had her? Any idea how old she is?

Hello Woodnt,
Thank you so much for answering me. Yes, that was the same item I was trying to show you. The Repti-boost. I might get some on hand just in case.

Nessie is 10 weeks old. She was hatched the first week of July I guess. She weighs 14g and is 18.7 cm today. The BSFL are bigger than the eye space but I thought I read for soft bodied food such as bsfl, they could eat bigger. We pay attention to cricket size of course and besides that we have not fed anything yet besides salad.

I was in a PetCo the other day and looking for other food and what I found was disgusting. They had containers of various things but when I opened the containers to look at the food it was dead, dried out, and nasty. That was when I got some Super Worms thinking that was one that was all right for her. I found once container that was alive. She at a dozen of them voraciously! THen I read she should not have them till she was 15 inches long. EEEK! :banghead: Major Mess-up! I was so scared but she pooped like a champion the next day and I threw away the Superworms. Every other store close to hear has crickets or canned food. Blech! :puke: Or even worse... dead food. I've resolved myself to buy online for now.

She just got done with a big molt so I know it's not that. I really think she is tired of crickets and does not like them worms and that may partly be because they are too big for her. She ate a few the day we got them and then it was like... "I am NOT impressed." I'm serious when I say that I need to find someone who can use them because I really hate to throw 1K of fat, wiggly, BSFL away. Seems so wasteful.

Anyway, I thought I would see about buying her some goodies at the Buggie Headquarters, maybe even some tiny BSFL, and see how she does. I'll look into your recommendations as well since I noticed they have a number of packages of several kinds of bugs and they come highly recommended. They sure can scare the wits out of you! I think I'll be relieved when she is big and healthy. I bet it's so awesome to play with Praxis where you have less fear of accidents etc.

I'll try to get a pic put up on Nessie one day soon. I absolutely LOVE seeing Strax and Praxis and your chamelion!

Thank you again for taking time to respond to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
syafiqmust
Top Bottom