Anorexic approx 2mo with failure to thrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodnt

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Esther, your right!

I wish Strax was big enough to eat as many as Praxis! The cham doesn't eat a whole lot of anything.

Strax weighs in at 13 gms now. That is almost twice what he was at his lowest point. I need to start charting it on dates to see how he is doing over time.

Strax ate 5 BSFL and 2 dubia for lunch today. It really seems to take a while for him to get started at times. Not sure why. Then he'll eat in stages, getting 2 or 3 in quick succession, then dawdle around then another couple. It isn't the feeding frenzy that is Praxis :lol: . He ate his boost, of course for lunch, too

I have put some BSFL in a ceramic bowl in his viv (and Praxis, too because he only at 19 which is 1/2 what he will normally eat). I'm curious if they will eat at their leisure in their vivs.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A good supply of worms you have going there.

So happy to hear that Strax ate some today and dubias too as well as his Boost. :D You're right, he is just about double his wt now, how awesome! Guess he likes to take his time and savor his feeders. :lol: Praxis sure is enjoying them.

Let us know how the ceramic bowls work out.

woodnt

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
We are so grateful for our BSFL. They are easy to maintain and wonderful (from all I've read) as feeders. I just read that humans eat them, too, because they grow so fast and have excellent nutritional value. Wish I could use them year round. I'm guessing down south here it will be over in Nov.

Sadly, I just found out a few days ago, that my wife has been feeding my adult dubias to Praxis and Trenzalor. OH MY!!! :? I thought she new better! I spent so much money to get those adults and the females should have lasted at least 18 months. She probably feed half my adult population. I will likely have to use a lot more crickets and other bought feeders over the winter until the dubias mature. Silkies didn't work out to well for use without having our own Mulberry trees. Talk about bad timing! Oh well, all this is a learning process for us all.

The ceramic feeder bowls (like you can get at PetSmart) worked well for Praxis but not yet for Strax.

I didn't offer him any feeders just now but he did quickly down his boost.

I also just measured his length. I was a little disappointed that he hasn't grown length-wise at all, but I'm not discouraged. Strax has made so much progress. I want him to quickly get big and strong like Praxis, but at the same time, I know I will miss the little sweetness that he is now at this size. I just want him to be as normal as he can be and do what he is supposed to do (growth-wise). Perhaps he is going to grow up a runt (which I don't mind, just wanting him to have a long life)?

Had power out the other night which happens more frequently that I like. Across the street? Power. Across the street behind us? Power. It is always just our line. Makes me worried about our herps getting too cold when the power goes out. What do you all do up further up north?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Dubias grow and breed very quickly. I always used a heat mat attached to the bottom of the glass tank and that helped them multiply quicker. Yes, all the learning process. You might want to think about planting a Mulberry tree next year, they grow very fast and you can even feed the leaves to your beardies. Our tree comes up every yr and needs no special attention at all, something for you to think about.

I think it's great that Strax is gaining weight, seems like his body is going to fill out more before you see a lot of length in him yet. He's gaining and filling out, that's the main thing.

We always keep hand warmers on hand since we live in the Northeast and they work very well in keeping the beardies warm. You have to be careful which ones you buy because some can get as hot as 130 degrees. The ones I bought, heat from 80 to 100 degrees, I wrap the hand warmer up in a thick washcloth or hand towel, then wrap both the warmer and the beardie up in a thicker towel or blanket. I use a temp gun to ck their temps during the night as I can't sleep anyway when we loose power. :roll:

woodnt

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
We are using a Rubbermade bin for our dubias. I have a tank heater under it that seems to do a nice job on that side of the bin. We seem to have a lot of little ones so it will happen (getting a self-sustaining colony).

Great ideas about the hand warmers!!! Can you share a brand I can look for? This will work great for the beardies, but not so well for our cham. He doesn't like being handled and would not settle at all being wrapped up in a blanket/towel. I bet he would absolutely freak out. We do have gas heat, but moving all the vivs into the living room (the only place with the gas fireplace) would be difficult (esp if I'm out of town). I wish our power was more reliable. This wasn't an aspect I had thought through til power went off the other day, but I'm grateful to think about it now than after the fact.

Perhaps I need to rethink our herp locations for the winter and just preemptively move them in the living room to be ready. As long as we have gas (which I don't think has ever gone out) and my wife or I can start the fireplace vent-free logs, we should be in good shape, but I still want the hand warmers as an excellent backup plan in case we have a double failure.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
You could just have some Rubbermaid tubs for emergencies. You wouldn't have to worry about attaching lights with no power. The tubs would easily stack for storage, but would be fine for the living room to be by the fireplace.

woodnt

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Esther, such a good idea. Makes me feel stupid for not thinking of such. I love that idea, and it will be much easier than moving their vivs. We'll need to get something for Trenazalor to climb on, but using bird cage ladders might do as I saw somewhere (can't remember where) if I can fixate them somehow.

Strax can just be full of surprises. I had BSFL in his viv all day Fri, and he didn't touch them. Today I got him out for his only feeding of the day (I'll explain later) and very quickly he finished off 6 BSFL and downed his boost.

We are going to Medieval Times in Dallas tonight and spending the night. We have a critter sitter coming for the dogs, but she couldn't come early enough to see about feeding the dragons, but they should be fine for a day with what they have already eaten. Praxis is really getting chunky and even having some accessory fat storage under his front armpits. He is eating a little less I think because he is been shedding his legs and is about to shed his head and back. We had him out a lot today. It was really fun. I just don't feel as comfortable having Strax out as much as small as he is with so many places he could hide and such a small body to keep warm but we are eager for the day.

Happy Labor Day everyone :D

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Strax ate very well, what a good little thing.

Have a wonderful time in Dallas. Both of them should be fine overnight. Great that Praxis has put on some weight. Bet you enjoyed giving him lots of attention when he was out & about. You're right, the little ones sure can hide, in fact, even the adults can making it almost impossible to find them sometimes. They can snuggle down in the strangest places. :roll:

The rubbermaid tubs is a good idea that Esther mentioned, that should be quite easy. In the evenings before our beardies went to bed & the power was out, we had small Mr Buddy heaters and would set one up in the livingroom. I would take all 5 beardies, 3 males & 2 females, wrap them up in their blankets and lay them in different spots on the couch & loveseat. They were sound asleep and didn't even know there were other beardies laying close to them. It worked out very well and kept the livingroom about 72 degrees. Then when it was bedtime, I would have the handwarmers all ready for them and pick each one up still wrapped in their blankets and lay them down with the handwarmers. It's amazing what you can come up with when you need to.

woodnt

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Had a great overnight get-away to Dallas. Medieval Times (as I remembered) was a lot of fun. The kids weren't really excited about going (they didn't think they would like the food because they don't like chicken on the bone, spoiled rotten in the modern age). Food was great. Entertainment was fun, and I got $22 off each ticket with a coupon at the last minute. Have a lot of nice leftovers bits for the BSFL, too.

Got home to find Strax's basking bulb blown so we can't feed him yet. He needs to warm up a bit. I turned on 100w his CHE to warm him up until we can run to PetSmart to get a 2 pack (if they stock that) of the basking bulbs (to have a backup on hand).

Praxis ate, but not a whole lot. His tail was dark rather than his normal bright. I gave him a bath and boy did he drink!!! We have not been putting water in his water bowl in his viv lately thinking he probably never used it. Perhaps we have been wrong. We all always thought it seemed to disappear faster than evaporation would allow.

Krista wants to feed Strax after she has a rest (we were all up a little late last night). Will update how he did later.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sounds like you all had a great time. I saw your pics on FB, amazing. Awesome that you saved $ too. :D

That's a shame that Strax's bulb burnt out. The CHE's throw off more heat than a basking bulb so just thought I would mention that. Good idea picking up a 2 pack.

Praxis was thirsty. Maybe he had been drinking the water in his bowl, some drink standing water and some don't it seems. That's good that you picked up on his tail looking darker and thought to give him a bath, that must have pleased him.

Yes, let us know how Strax's feeding went.

woodnt

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Strax wasn't interesting in feeders. Did great with boost. I'm going to chalk it up to his darker day since all he had for light was his UV tube which isn't very bright.

Praxis uric acid has been nice and white but yes he sure was thirsty. I think since Strax is good and alert, I'm going to put some water back in his viv as I'm no longer concerned he might fall into it and drown just in case he is like Praxis.

woodnt

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Sorry no update yesterday. Strax had 4 BSFL and his regular boost. Today, he very quickly ate 5 BSFL at lunch, but none this evening. Did great with the boost. Still haven't had a chance to get to some small crickets. Time for that tomorrow.

Praxis was slowing down on the BSFLs this evening. We dumped in some crickets and he went ballistic. Guess a little feeder fatigue. Ordered some more crickets as we are about out. Also ordered some butter worms and some hornworms for Praxy and Trenzalor. Will see about some small ones for Strax soon.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
As much as we love hearing from you, please don't feel bad about missing a day. More than that, though, and we'll send out a search party. (Just kidding) It sounds like everyone is doing well. Strax chasing crickets is something to looks forward to. I'll bet it was a kick watching Praxis.

woodnt

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Praxis is on food strike today. I thought it was feeder fatigue the way he went after the crickets last night, but he wouldn't eat any crickets or dubia today at all. I'm going to chalk it up to shedding. It is starting around his eyes. His head and entire back need to shed. Baths aren't helping yet. Guess it is a little too soon.

Strax wanted no feeders at lunch, but did his boost. We're getting out this afternoon and will get some crickets to see how he does with them.

I think I'm also going to get some wax worms and superworms for Praxis (and Strax can have a waxy if he wants) for some additional variety. Strax liked mini mealworms, and I have about a 1000 in the fridge, but I kind of hate feeding them to him (our hamsters love them, though).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heidib715
Top Bottom