Aloha!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyBilbo

Hatchling Member
Bless him, I'm sure he'll get used to it. Hows his shed going? Bilbo's just legs, feet and tip of tail now

Cloud

Original Poster
It's still just his head and neck shedding. Rest of his body has been faded for a few days now. He'll get there

Im still in the doghouse after yesterdays bath. He wasn't please to see me come home today :D
79908-4572876897.jpg

Cloud

Original Poster
Little fatty ate two lots of calci worms and two smaller portions of mealworm today.

Someone is trying to grow.

MyBilbo

Hatchling Member
That's good, lol I don't really bath Bilbo regularly, to be honest I think its a bit weird to put an animal in a a body of water that maybe wont see rain fall for months at a time, but each to their own.

I'm sure you know what your doing, but was on swellreptileuk looking at the live foods, and I read in there when I was looking at calci worms, but they should not be used as a staple diet but more a treat for bearded dragons cos they are high in fat? Just though id let you know? I dont known so I'm just looking out for you

Cloud

Original Poster
Theres a lot of debate about calci worms being good as a staple or not.
There seems to be more for it than against, so i'll stick with it for now. He'll get more variety when he stops being so fussy over eating.
Until I see an actual weight issue with him, I see no reason to stop.

Im bathing him mainly because he refuses to drink, and I have to do something. Is also handy for shedding of course. Some of his skin looked like it didn't want to come off.

There is 6% fat in crickets and 9.4% fat in Calci worms. Its not really a big leap.

MyBilbo

Hatchling Member
I'm sure you know they get most of there fluids from what they eat, in the dry arid desert of Australia it wont rain for months on end, also little tip, they actually only really drink running water or droplets, so a fountain/waterfall is a good idea or a dripper. If he has a good balanced diet you can pretty much take the water dish out, I know some will argue with that, but if someone can say I'm wrong about how they rehydrate with fluid in the wild ill hear it, Bilbo does not have water in his Viv, he is healthy, not dehydrated, good moist poohs not sloppy wet yuck though. He has one soak for 10 mins every 3 weeks ish. Works for me and him =)

Did have a water dish to satisfy the missus cos she said its weird, but its out most if the time

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Insects are widely variable in nutrition content, especially factoring age and diet into it. Larvae tend accumulate fat as they grow so they have energy stores for during/after they morph into adults. Adult Soldier flys don't eat so as larvae they have to store up all the energy they will use for the rest of their short lives. I've seen fat values ranging from 9%-50%.

Some dragons do get picky and only want to eat the food they like and it can be a pain to get them out of the habit :(

MyBilbo

Hatchling Member
Man i feel like crap, just left work, coming down with summit!

I guess it would be costly but you could try summit different every day maybe?

Cloud

Original Poster
The problem at the moment is that I can only feed him before and after work, and he doesn't eat when anyone is around him, so I have to leave food in there in the morning. Which is why worms are ideal. So I don't want to release a tub of crickets on him at 8am and leave them in there all day and come home to a harmed dragon. Like I mentioned, I have Dubias coming in (which I forgot to order) so we'll see how he likes them.

My other option is to take out anything that the crickets can use to climb onto the higher levels, and just let them run around on the base of the viv. He spends most of him time up on one of the higher levels, so can just pop down to eat them and pop back up to his usual spot.

MyBilbo

Hatchling Member
Hey there, sorry been bit crazy lately, cloud is looking great, he looks like he could be the same age as Bilbo, Bilbo is growing well he is 11 inches now (10 Jan).

Got a few home improvements for out self in the form of a new sofa then ill be ordering his new 5.5x2x2 Viv exciting stuff!!

MyBilbo

Hatchling Member
Bless him I'm sure he will, I remember measuring him right at the beginning of the month he was 10 inches and by the 10th he was 11 inches do think he had a bit of a spurt, and he has gone from one shed right into another? Crazy

BILBO HANGING OUT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom