Allie, my baby

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got Allie last Saturday with very little research, experience, and only a few items for her. It's been a rocky start because I got three different stories from two different people and misleading websites. I told the pet store I was getting a beardie and wasn't sure of her size yet because I was going to pick her up. (She sold me a dozen crickets.) Petland's associate told me I needed a ninety gallon tank and other things. He said he knew all about Beardies and how they need to live. Well, he had two males together and they fought constantly. I wasn't going to follow his tale of a ninety gallon tank. Then he told me I needed calcium sand which I did buy. I'll not use it. :p So you guys don't have to be worried about Allie.

When I rescued Allie from her previous owners, they had promised a 29 gallon long tank, basking lamp which they gave me, but it was broken, and a well used heat mat that wouldn't stick to the bottom of her tank. (The tank she was in was a fifteen gallon tank that had broken glass. I knew right away this wouldn't be her home and went to buy another tank and a few other supplies such as: A 50 watt basking light, a 10 gallon tank-too small, a heat mat (House gets cold, used to heat the bottom of the tank at night), a climbing piece, a food bowl, a hide-way converted into a bathing area, and a plant.) I took in the basking lamp to get another one and they fixed my lamp for me! I was glad I didn't have to spend anymore money on another lamp.

And Allie was starving. She didn't eat anything all day from her previous owners. When I asked them if she ate, they said no. When I fed her, she ate all of the crickets and had none for the next day. They couldn't afford to feed her. (Sure she's expensive, why did you get her in the first place?) They fed her crickets every day with very little veggies. I couldn't let her just eat crickets. The first thing Allie ate was a spring mix salad. She picked through all of the lettuces and ate the dandelion greens. She likes dandelion greens a lot but I can't find them except in those spring mix salads. I give her parsley, banana, and a sliver of strawberry as a treat. She also likes celery leaves.

Since the ten gallon was too small for her, I went searching for another tank. Something a bit larger than a ten. I found a twenty gallon tall with a background. A fish background, but she loves it none the less. She didn't know what to make at first because she had a change of scenery. Everything of hers almost fits. She's got two more plants, a new 75 watt bulb that works wonders now. The tank's between 87. Close enough to the nineties. She's not used to the 100s yet. (I don't know if her previous owner had her in the 100s or not as a basking temperature. The tank goes into the mid-70's at night.) She's regular now. No more abnormal poops. She poops every day at 3:00-3:20, after she eats her crickets. Today's the first time she ever pooped and peed early at 11:00. If I can get her to go, she looks happy. :)

Allie loves to run around and explore. If she had her way, she'd have her run of my room and practically the whole house. I've got three dogs that stay in doors. I'm trying to protect her against them. I set up a basking point near my sliding glass window on the old 10 gallon tank. I also found that doggie pads, the large size, are a good way to catch her poop and pee. She has made it the habit of not going in her tank. So she's clean. After that, she got upset because her colors were black this morning. I told her she didn't have to worry about going into the tank today yet. I told her that she's a good girl and she could come out because she pooped and peed already.

A warm bath and a massage seems to help her go and holding onto my hand while she goes, makes her feel better. Does any of the young beardies do this? They run to you for help when they relieve themselves? I know she's getting plenty of food and water. I know she's eating right because the first time she pooped, it was hard. Now it's not as hard as it was. It's not runny either so that's a good thing.

Allie's 13 inches and is a dare devil. Climbing a portable screen that was hanging over our sink, she jumps right in and looks like she didn't do anything wrong. More like saying, 'Look Mommy! I jumped for you!' Then the second time, I had her on my bed with some sheets and a huge pillow mountain. I was working on my laptop, she decided to use my blanket as a slide and slid down between me and the bed. I had put a teddy bear behind me in case she tried it again. She had the same kind of look again, 'Look Mommy! I did it again!' I swear, she had the biggest grin on her face. I think she's happy when I'm around her.

Bedtime. Oh, you must hear this! When I first got her, she wouldn't sleep in her tank. I had to rock her, stroke her, and tell her it's all right. She fell asleep on me. Then after that, I started to get her used to the tank and she fell asleep where she lay down. I moved her so she wasn't sleeping on the heat mat all through the night. Didn't want her belly to get burned. But anyway, she began to really feel different. I took an old flannel pillowcase and wrapped her around in it. As long as she could crawl out when she wakes up, she's fine with it. I rocked her to sleep in it. Tell you what, she was sleeping over the heat mat with her flannel pillowcase where she sleeps. I haven't thought of using a flannel pillowcase for her. There's also another thing about her that you should know. She doesn't sleep anywhere else in her tank. She doesn't sleep on her basking branch, rock, or near her watering pool. She sleeps right near the fan. I guess it helps her sleep. White noise and the vibration. So I guess I'll have to have it there for a long time to come and that's great because she's one of a kind with a personality.

She does love sleeping on me. As of right now, she's sound asleep on my chest. She's happy. :blob5:

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
PumpkinJelly":317muwqa said:
Yay! I'm glad, because retained sheds are SO annoying.

Ali is fresh and brand new now! Hi Ali!

I noticed that he's got some red in him. It's around the base of his tail.

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I found out where Ali picked up pinworms. I went to a pet store where I picked up his first five superworms. I went to get six since he's been a good boy for taking all his antibiotics, well, I told the sales lady I wanted six and guess what flew out of the tank. Gnats. The more I thought about this, the more I connected the dots to the pinworms. It's a lifecycle. Gnats eating garbage, bringing in pinworms or all kinds of germs, landing in a tank with a couple of potatoes that were blackened and eaten by the superworms. If you think about the superworms, they're eating the droppings off the potatoes and thus, pinworm cycle of life. Also, I was going to get crickets and looking into the containers, they were filthy disgusting. Their water source dried out and filthy, dead crickets, and dirty food. I didn't get any crickets and threw away my purchase of super worms out. I'm going to Petland instead.

Did you know that I almost had two fires because the same pet store gave me wrong information about using CHE's. They kept giving me these 'sundomes' and they'd burn out and smell. Well, I got something else. I got a wire clamp lamp made specifically for CHEs. Now, there's no smell or burning out. :) And I bought a 100 watt basking bulb. He likes it. :) I mean he's sitting on the highest perch in his tank and is basking with a happy grin on his face. Ali finished his antibiotics! Now he's got one dose of dewormer left and will be done by Friday. :) I found Mustard greens the other day. :) The tank's temp was 93 and rising. I take it he really likes the warmer temp. So yesterday was good even though I've been battling iron deficiency anemia again. And now my Mother has it, too. They want to run some tests to determine where it's coming from.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Our cricket bin gets completely disgusting in no time. Today it was full of fruit flies and stunk and I just cleaned it last week when we got this new batch of crickets. :shock:

Occasionally we do by the mustard greens and it is a really nice change of pace for them, a different taste! Right now we have collards or turnips - I am not sure! Otto buys the greens so I do tend to forget which is which anymore.

Bummer about anemia! I have abnormally high iron in my family so I haven't had that problem and I probably never will, or at least I sure hope. I know it is an energy drainer and it doesn't help to have low energy these days - life is so busy!!

PumpkinJelly

Sub-Adult Member
Despite your iron deficiency anemia problems (which I am really sorry about and I hope you get better soon :D) It seems like you're having a good day when it comes to Ali! A new lamp (I'm SO glad those silly lamps didn't catch on fire or anything!), a new basking light, Mustard Greens, and you're almost done Ali's treatment! :D That's wonderful!

Ali must really be enjoying life. My two LOVE hot temps, the hotter the better! They also love a mix up with their veggies, so it's good you got the Mustards for Ali! :D

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you. I'm feeling these bursts of energy and then it's gone. Last night, I wanted to watch a 2 hour movie so I forced myself to stay awake. 'The River'.

Ali's antibiotic's done. Yay! Last night was his last dose of it! Now one more and that comes this Friday and then a fecal test. :) So I'm hopeful he'll not have any more pinworms or a bacterial infection.

Here's something else: Okay, if I give a description, can you tell me what he might be? I know he's a leatherback.

His colorations are: Yellow with white lines on his head, a pearly white underbelly, light brown with a small hint of red on his tail, back, and a brown tip of his tail, orange beard, white spikes, black eyes, some brown, yellow, and possibly orange around his eye ridges. He also has some faded lavender on his back.

When he was sick, he was brown, black, and not showing any of his colors. Now they're exploding out and he's morphing into a beautiful beardie.

PumpkinJelly

Sub-Adult Member
That's a bummer! I really do hope you feel better soon. You need all the energy you can get to keep up with Ali! :D

Yay! Less medication for Ali! Hopefully that fecal gives Ali a clean bill of health. Both You and Ali deserve it! You've done wonders with Ali. Your latest batch of pictures prove it. I mean, seriously. Look at the 'before' pictures. Ali is dark and grey. His mind is happy because you're with him, but his body is just sad and sick. But the 'after' pictures (your latest ones) show that he's happy both mentally and physically! Noella you're awesome for doing this for Ali! He's amazing & so are you!

Do you have any more recent pictures of Ali? That will give us a better visual to try and "guess" what morph Ali actually is. I'm so glad his true colors are popping out. He's a healthy and happy big boy! He's a leatherback? Really, that's awesome. I didn't know he was a leatherback.

The pictures will help with morph identification, but seriously, I love seeing pictures of Ali no matter what the reason! He's so cute and happy and full of spunk. I love it!

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I can try some time this weekend for more pics of his new colors. At least I think he's a leatherback. He's got the markings of one. I'll :study: some more. :)

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I think I found out what kind of morph he is. He is a lemon het leatherback. I compared pictures of him and his markings.

PumpkinJelly

Sub-Adult Member
Lemon Het Leatherback? I've never heard of it, before. But that's really cool that you think figured out Ali's morph. I would love to know what Fiz's morph was, but I don't think he is any special morph.

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Since shedding, he's showing some other 'acts' such as jumping up to his light. It's a 100 watt one now instead of the 75 watt. It just wasn't cutting the basking temp I felt. Now, he sits on his basking spot, colors showing including his beard. He rarely showed his colorful beard when he was sick. I'll get some newer updated pics soon. And found a new large rock surface from outside, now soaking in a bleach solution. Tomorrow, I'm going to bake it like for an hour and a half just to be sure it's safe for him. I'm actually building up his basking spot so he can climb instead of walking on the floor. It's a work in progress. :)

Changed my mind on that rock. I looked closer and decided not to use it. I found holes. So out it stays.

DragonsNDoodles

Juvie Member
If you got Allie from a pet store with no known genetics, then you cannot guess a name for his coloration. The names are actually bloodlines, not morphs, so you would have to know what his parents were in order to know what Allie is. You can't go just by what he looks like because that's just his coloration, not his genetics. For example, if I got a Petsmart dragon that was orange colored like a Sandfire red dragon, I would not be able to call my dragon a "Sandfire red" because he didn't come from a Sandfire red bloodline. His parents were not Sandfire red dragons. So just because your dragon is yellow or whatever color, you can't call him anything except "yellow" because you don't know what his parents were.

Also, I doubt he is "het leatherback". That would mean that he carries the gene for recessive leatherback but does not show the trait visually. In order to know if he's het for something, you would have to know that one of his parents WAS visually recessive leatherback, so he would inherit one of those recessive genes. Recessive leatherback is extremely rare.

Not every dragon HAS a morph (hypomelanism, translucence, leatherback, silkback) or a named bloodline (Sandfire, citrus tiger, blood red) , even the really pretty amazing colored normal dragons. All the dragons that are in the pet trade now are not "wild" color, they are still all many generations away from wild phase because Australia does not export any animals, so there are no wild dragons in the breeding colonies of other countries.

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
DragonsNDoodles":2gbljuq3 said:
If you got Allie from a pet store with no known genetics, then you cannot guess a name for his coloration. The names are actually bloodlines, not morphs, so you would have to know what his parents were in order to know what Allie is. You can't go just by what he looks like because that's just his coloration, not his genetics. For example, if I got a Petsmart dragon that was orange colored like a Sandfire red dragon, I would not be able to call my dragon a "Sandfire red" because he didn't come from a Sandfire red bloodline. His parents were not Sandfire red dragons. So just because your dragon is yellow or whatever color, you can't call him anything except "yellow" because you don't know what his parents were.

Also, I doubt he is "het leatherback". That would mean that he carries the gene for recessive leatherback but does not show the trait visually. In order to know if he's het for something, you would have to know that one of his parents WAS visually recessive leatherback, so he would inherit one of those recessive genes. Recessive leatherback is extremely rare.

Not every dragon HAS a morph (hypomelanism, translucence, leatherback, silkback) or a named bloodline (Sandfire, citrus tiger, blood red) , even the really pretty amazing colored normal dragons. All the dragons that are in the pet trade now are not "wild" color, they are still all many generations away from wild phase because Australia does not export any animals, so there are no wild dragons in the breeding colonies of other countries.

I was told he was a regular dragon earlier today by my pictures from my website.

When I first got him, he was one color-brown. His color's only started showing 'after' his treatments of antibiotic and dewormer. His colors didn't show up until after his shed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom