A Penny Dragon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dezismom

Juvie Member
Introducing...The Penny Dragon, Dezi's new sister!

Yes, it was bound to happen; I have become a multiple beardie owner! I rescued a little one and so Dezi has a new little sister.

My hubby and I were in a big pet store to buy Dezi food, when I saw a sign on a beardie viv stating that one was a "special needs" beardie, and was "up for adoption", to please enquire. In the far back of the enclosure was a tiny one, flattened against the back, completely black with distress! I could not even see her markings, because she was so black...I saw no obvious physical problem--no toes missing, no injuries, she seemed a bit thin, but not starved. What could be the problem, here? I should have run away. quickly...but I had to enquire...

The very sweet sales girl said the dragon was completely untameable, very vicious, had badly bitten several employees, could not be held or calmed. Anyone who took her home would be required to sign a form stating they understood it was vicious and would bite, and never would be a pet to be held. I could not believe that, at such a young age, any animal could be labeled as untameable!! I have worked with injured adult wild animals who were tameable to holding! This little one was no bigger than my hand. Her head was the size of my thumb; how much damage could she do, even if she bit me with all her might? I asked to hold her, but no one could pick her up. So, I gently reached in, picked her up, and held her. At first, she showed her open mouth, and was defensive (good, I thought, she should defend herself against a total stranger! That meant she had not totally given up on her life! good for her!)

After a few moments, some of my magic beardie shakes (a gentle back and forth motion with beardie held nose up, in between hands like a sandwich--a very experienced beardie rehabber showed it to me to calm any stressed dragon) and calming sounds, (it is a low "cococo" sound, made mostly in the throat) and some breathing on her, which they seem to like, (maybe I have dragon breath, ha, ha!) and I had a sweet, calm, relaxed little beardie in my hand. Either I am a good dragon whisperer, or my breath had completely overwhelmed her, poor dear;)

Several of the staff had gathered around as I calmed her, and I was so deep into being calm for her I did not know they were even there. They were totally amazed. Said she had never been held so long, ever!
I asked what they meant by "up for adoption"? Thinking maybe it was a clever ploy to suck me in, and only actually a ten percent discount or something. The sales girl said they usually sell the special needs animals for a penny, if it is to a person who has the experience and desire to work with the animal. Also, the person must sign a contract stating there is no return no refund, for that animal. The manager, suddenly thinking there was more money to be made, butted in and said they could sell it for a discounted price...The salesgirl, who has worked with me before, and has shown special care for the reptiles, let him talk, then when he left, she leaned over and said, "she's a penny" and smiled at me.

Well, I had to take her home, now, didn't I? Even my husband,who has expressed numerous times that we must not add any more critters to our little zoo, agreed that this dragon was in trouble, and its best hope for a decent life would be for me to take her home...otherwise, she would probably end up in an aquarium, untouched and unloved, for the rest of her (short, unhappy) life. How could I leave her to that fate? She was clearly terrified; stressed to the point that she thought she was about to die. I do not know what was going on in that viv, but it was very bad for her. Maybe the others were picking on her, maybe a sales clerk had dropped her or "punished" her for biting him, who knows? But I do know that, when a beardie turns completely black, they think they are about to die. And she was as black as coal. So, I kissed her little head, tucked her into my palm, and welcomed her into my life.

I have named her, appropriately, "penny". Here she is, The "Penny Dragon"...

does this look like a vicious, untameable beast to you?
82765-7799742440.jpg

sound asleep! Her markings are quite lovely, almost a paisley pattern Very different than Dezi was. The sales person said she was in with the "fancy"ones, what ever that means...
82765-1339592333.jpg

If she grows into those feet, we will have a big girl!
82765-9769637305.jpg

I think she is such a lovely little one. This photo was taken after she had several days to get used to her new viv. She loves it. She is ready to shed, and has already grown a few inches!
82765-5884394208.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Penny looks quite "vicious" to me :roll: I'm glad you are able to give her a good home and take her out of that situation. I'll bet she'll grow up to be a sweet dragon and have a good long happy life with you =)

dezismom

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you, Cooperdragon! I know you are a multiple Beardie slave, so I may be asking for your advise as time goes on...but for now, I have a no meet, no greet policy for my two. Penny has had enough stress for such a short life, and Dezi is big enough to eat her in one gulp..He is a spoilt only child, and may have some jealousy issues, when he discovers he has a sister. I keep them in seperate rooms. His viv is in the TV room, hers is in the room where I sleep. so I can keep an eye on her, and she sees me throughout the day. She is curious about her new environment, but not nervous or strssed acting. Her appetite is not as big as Dezis was at her age, but then, he was always such a little piggie.:)

She has not decided to eat from my hand yet. She takes a bite or one cricket then looks at me like I am nuts! She does eat from her bowl. I am just happy she is eating. She is a serious huntress. Loves chasing down crickets...Dezi never was. He has always preferred his meals delivered straight to his little lips, even when he was small. Penny does drink from a syringe when I offer it, so I think that will help,her to bond with me. Penny may always be a bit more independent. She is such a cutie, and I am okay with her having her own personality! It makes the world a more interesting place to have such a variety in it. She does have an interesting back pattern. It is entirely different than Dezi was. He had more red, even as a baby. I do not think she is any special kind of genetic type, just has a pretty pattern. Her scales seem normal size. She certainly is not a hypo. Her nails are all dark, none white. It will be fun to see how she develops. I will do my best to see that she has a wonderful life!

She is growing like a weed! She was around seven inches when I first got her home. She is already several inches longer, and looks heavier. This tape measure is outside her enclosure. If it were closer, and she were stretched out straight, I think she would be around 9 inches!

82765-2728156089.jpg

Lorilyn

Hatchling Member
Awww Penny looks like a vicious man eater!!! So glad you found her and you have magic dragon breath! :lol: I am looking forward to reading all about the man eaters adventures! She is beautiful! Love her feet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom