A memorial for Jasper

Status
Not open for further replies.
A note from Alex: Jasper, one of the more well known beardies of one of the more long-standing members of the site, Sandi, has recently passed away. The moderators and I agreed that a special memorial was a good idea.

S6300197.jpg

Sometime in the beginning of 2005, a bearded dragon was brought into a veterinarians office with some severe problems, he was about one year old and had lived his life up until that time without UVB and survived on a diet that consisted of dog food. By the time his owners had taken him to the vet, this little beardie had a bad case of MBD. Being that these people felt that the money they would have to shell out was too much they decided to just leave this guy with the vet. The vet was very caring and decided to do what he could for him, he ended up having to amputate all of his tail and most of his left rear foot. Enter Sandi. She must have fallen in love with the strength and will to live this little guy had because he wiggled his way into her heart and he found his permanent, forever home. This sweet beardie became Jasper.

jasper17.jpg

Sandi quickly learned what a character her little boy was when he fell asleep one night on her shoulder just to have him start head-bobbing at something that only he could see as he was still fast asleep. It must have been a bad dream from the past because what Jasper found with Sandi was bliss. She had quickly spoiled this amazing boy by hand feeding him, although his heart was in the right place as a hunter he had decided that this was the only way he was going to eat. Jasper became slave master to Sandi, but I don't think she was complaining.

IMG_3681.jpg

Instead of seeing Jasper as a beardie without a tail, Sandi humorously saw his stump as a built-in stool in which he always had at his disposal...in fact, whenever Jasper sat this way on his "stool" Sandi felt like wiping down his log with a bar towel and offering him a tiny rye and coke!!!!!!

jasper14-1.jpg

Not all was smiles and giggles with Jasper, he had problems with his tail that had been amputated, problems with parasites, and recovery was just a long road, but they did it. Jasper soon became comfortable and curious enough to want to trek out on his own to explore his new surroundings. He must have learned that his tail and foot was not a hindrance to him as he would take off on his own to find mischief wherever he could. One of his favorite pastimes was to run through the salad that Sandi would leave for him before going to work, only to return home and find salad strewn from one end of his home to the other, and even find a food encrusted Jasper sitting there looking at her as if to say "This is my playground, I'll roll in those raspberries and silkworms whenever I want to, Woman!"

hereswhatithinkofyoursalad-1.jpg

Jasper was the type of beardie that loved to help out around the house, whenever Sandi would fold laundry it wasn't too surprising to find Jasper in the pile of warm clothes helping with this chore the best he knew how - snuggling.
Jasper had other talents as well, many people didn't know that Jasper was a Barry White fan and would croon to the cuties songs in his deep Barry White-like voice songs such as "Hey beautiful ladies. Who's the smoothest, sexiest, most flexible dragon on the forum? Let me bend your body and blow your mind! I love the beautiful beardie babes." That was Jasper alright. But there was another side to Jasper, he could be a grump - yes, I said it, Grump with a capital G! He could shoot a black beard at you like no other beardie but Sandi knew that this was all a bluff, Jasper really was a softie.

S6300177.jpg

He was also a prankster, imagine Sandi's horror when she looked up to find that her beardie had just disappeared into thin air!!!

IMG_3608.jpg

Jasper became a champion to many. The story of the beginning of his life helped to raise awareness of the damage that poor husbandry could do while inspiring others struggling to help their beardies overcome similar illnesses. His painful beginning was not in vain as his story saved so many other beardies from facing the same fate. He filled our hearts with awe and inspiration. Jasper was a true bearded hero and just as the story of his first year brought tears to our eyes they were soon filled with joy and laughter as his "grumpy" ways inspired many a story or photo that could lighten the spirit of even the darkest soul. His passing does not mark the end of Jasper as his story will continue to inspire others to strive to give their beardies the best possible care and Jasper will no doubt save even more lives. Jasper, you are a hero and you will live in our hearts forever.

IMG_3756.jpg

dasher

Hatchling Member
that story was so touching i nearly cried I'm so sorry for your loss :cry: and all that we can hope is that Jasper is in a better place now... i hope you eventually get over it and discover that now there's maybe room in your heart for a Jr.Jasper :|

MIssAnn

What a very wonderful tribute to Dear Jasper whiskersmom. It brought me to tears. What an amazing beardie he was and Sandi, what an amazing person you are to have brought such love and happiness to his life. I have not been apart of the forum for long but in the short time I have I am so glad I did get so know him through all of you. Sandi I am so very sorry for your loss. I pray for peace in your heart knowing that Jasper, thanks to you, got to see what real love was.

Again I am so sorry for your loss.
God Bless you Sandi!

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
I want to take this opportunity to say a big public THANK YOU to Alex, all of the mods, and everyone who has commented on Jasper's thread or sent me a PM or an email. I want to say a special thank you to Sherri (whiskersmom) for writing this beautiful memorial. I couldn't have written anything nearly this wonderful! It means so much to me to know that Jasper's story has reached so many people and hopefully helped other beardies as well. The outpouring of support I have received from this community has been nothing short of a miracle, and I want each and every one of you to know how much your words have meant to me. As some of you may know, I have struggled with treatment-resistant depression for a long time, and Jasper was in many ways a therapy animal for me. When things were at their darkest, holding him would make all the bad stuff go away. His death hit me very hard, and I wouldn't be doing nearly as well as I am now if it weren't for all the kind words and wonderful memories and virtual hugs that I've received from all of you. I am going to take this amazing tribute and have it dry mounted to display next to his ashes, which will rest on top of his plush bed. I can't bear the thought of getting another beardie right now, but I know that someday in the future, my vet will phone me up and say the same thing that he did when he told me about Jasper: "I've got a little beardie here who really needs someone to love him..." and I'll know that Jasper will be watching with approval from up in beardie heaven.

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
what a beautiful memorial. there is nothing i can say to make the hurt go away, but i just know in time you will share your heart with another beardie.

i know im probably one out of hundreds, but if you feel like talking or venting please PM me.

beardienewbie

Juvie Member
Oh gosh, I am so sorry!! Poor Jasper. He will be missed by many. You gave him the best life he could have had! He was lucky to have you.

RIP Jasper!

Thor's Mom

Sub-Adult Member
Sobbing now.... :cry: I feel like I lost one of my own.

What a beautiful tribute to such a very special beardy. Jasper's story is inspiring and he will always live on in our hearts.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
This is an absolutely beautiful Memorial. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Just when I thought I was done crying over Jasper and for Sandi I found this.
Here we go again! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

R.I.P Jasper (Mr. Grumpy)

And his story lives on................ :)

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
What a beautiful memorial for Jasper - a.k.a. Super Beardie and Mr. Grumpy. Sherri, you did a great job!

Sandi, you're probably getting tired of hearing me say this, but I need to say it once more - My heart aches (still) terribly for you over the loss of Jasper
smiley1747.gif
. It all seems so surreal - as if we're all waiting to wake up from the same bad dream. Can't believe we will no longer see adorable pics of him and his super black beard :cry:

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
I'd also like to express my sorrow for your loss, Sandi. The mods really deserve the credit for the memorial, though... especially whiskersmom for getting this going.

Jasper will be missed.

***hugs***
-Alex

1happymommy

Juvie Member
That was a very beautiful memorial. Since I'm new I had no idea about Jasper's begginings. He was so lucky to have you as his mommy. You are one special person to give so much love to this guy. I know he loved you back.

amylee159

Gray-bearded Member
I am in tears :cry: That was such a beautiful memorial. I think the photos were perfect, and resembled the beardie we all knew and loved. Jasper will be missed by all :(

whiskersmom

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
You are very welcome, Sandi, as hard as it was to do this it was also very easy. Jasper was indeed a special beardie and like the last paragraph states Jasper was a true bearded hero. But I can't take all the credit for this....Vicky was instrumental in putting this together and for that, I'd like to thank her.

I hope and pray that in a very short time, you will be able to remember this big guy with just a smile on your face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom