a few questions about brumatiom

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToothlessTheDragon

Hatchling Member
okay i have a few questions about brumation since i am kinda a newbie at the topic
so here they are

(1#) what time of year do beardies enter brumation?, and what age?

(2#) do they rest the whole time?

(3#) do they decrease in eating?

if anyone can answer any of these questions
it would be great :blob5: :blob8: :blob5:

I am new to brumation as well, but according to my research bearded dragons usually enter brumation in the winter time or just before it (around September). Brumation is more common in adult bearded dragons, but it can happen with juveniles as well. They do rest most of the time, and their appetite decreases big time, they might eat a little but not a whole lot.

ToothlessTheDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
okay thank you :)

why i was asking is my beardie is entering it and he is 1 year old
and i do not know that much about brumation so thanks again :D

I haven't deal with brumation yet, so I am not 100% sure. From what I read you can bath them since they need to stay hydrated, but not to hold them if it's not necessary... you should try not to bother them in this period.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
ToothlessTheDragon":ynrpcv4w said:
okay i have a few questions about brumation since i am kinda a newbie at the topic
so here they are

(1#) what time of year do beardies enter brumation?, and what age?
Usually around a year is my understanding, but depending on the weather some younger dragons will slow down too. Generally dragons will brumate in local winter. Some will also sleep during the summer (Aestivation)
(2#) do they rest the whole time?
Depends on the dragon, and maybe where you live. Some are down for the count, others jusdt sort of nap.
(3#) do they decrease in eating?
In full brumation, where the dragon stops basking, they also stop eating. It's important that they clear their system before sleeping completely, so the undigested food doesn't rot. If the dragon is still basking some, it can be offered food. They shouldn't be lossing much if any weight from not eating, as they have slowed their metabolism.
if anyone can answer any of these questions
it would be great :blob5: :blob8: :blob5:

ToothlessTheDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
how can you tell if your beardies gut is full or not?
i don't know if it is or not,
and you said (In full brumation, where the dragon stops basking, they also stop eating. It's important that they clear their system before sleeping completely, so the undigested food doesn't rot.)
so can i check if it is?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
ToothlessTheDragon":34a08pza said:
how can you tell if your beardies gut is full or not?
i don't know if it is or not,
and you said (In full brumation, where the dragon stops basking, they also stop eating. It's important that they clear their system before sleeping completely, so the undigested food doesn't rot.)
so can i check if it is?

Give them a change to pass the waste of any large meals they eat, it takes about 1-3 days for them to fully digest. Since most dragons slow down their appetite before sleeping they usually do just fine - but its why its not recommended to try and feed a sleepy dragon.

Just a few questions to add to this...

Past month my beardies dragon has decreased ... Thought it may be due to parasites as I saw blood in the stool.. did a stool exam and there was a bit of parasites so he was on an antibiotic.. Second time fighting parasites, first being in july. Past two days he hasn't eaten and has been sleeping during the day, hasn't had a bowel movement in two days.. however is still basking. Only at night does he go to the bottom of his cage and try to hide under is rock is this normal?

His face is shedding and body has been looking like it will shed for awhile...

He's also been doing this like swallowing motion as well as gaping.. not often.. maybe once a day a handful of times. However tonight I noticed while sleeping his beard is out and he'll wake up and start gaping...

He's also been bulging out his eyes which I associate with the shed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom