A bit confused with set up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all!

I'm new a beardie owner and like many newbies here, so it seems, I'm kind of confused now on the set up I have for me new beardie. I got (him?) about a week ago and he's doing great and has been eating great but I feel like I don't have him set up right.

I bought an "All Living Things" 40g starter tank with the UVB and heating bulbs, two bowls, a thermometer (that didn't work) and carpet substrate. It was actually a really good deal but I'm finding the rectangular opening only in the middle to be kind of frustrating with positioning of the heat lamp. Also, I've been seeing that the coil UVB bulbs aren't good? That's what it came with D: 26W 10.0 UVB.

I had his tank blocked off half way cause I was told that the full 40g would be too much space for him but he kept trying to explore the other side so I opened it up- is that ok? I'm also having a hard time measuring his basking spot because of the narrow opening- that or it's really not getting warm enough- keeps reading like 98 or 99 at most. I use an All Living Things 100W infrared (pictured below). I thought 150 would be too hot but now...?

I was initially told that mealworms are good but then was later told no that they're not good for smaller dragons and that wax worms and crickets are better- but he hated wax worms. Loves crickets and meal worms. So I started doing both dusted in calcium powder and am planning to start keeping my own crickets.

I just want him to be happy and healthy and right now it all feels rather confusing >.< oh I also switched to paper towels for now for easier cleaning.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

AF9A176F-E9BA-4062-8ABD-A058D63AB542_zps3evjscgj.jpg

7DC5FDB9-7BA3-45F4-814D-A381CA42441B_zpshkcqmeqj.jpg

Should replace the lid for a full open mesh one?

E851EF9B-4731-4CD1-9697-52E1E557A942_zpsbgap5u4y.jpg

This is all of the stuff I have for him right now. I'm going to start with those crickets in the cricket keeper and that feed. Will also give vegetables and such.
519208A0-674E-48FE-9E81-81153D916226_zpsg5eyvkkj.jpg

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
https://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/newbies-guide-lighting-help/

I like the above article because it has a really good illustration of a beardie set up.

So as not to overwhelm you, I will be as short as possible with changes I would make.

1. Get a reptisun 10.0 florescent tube and mount inside with 3M hooks. You can get the light fixture from Lowe's. Be sure to remove the plastic light cover.

2. No need for a red light.

3. Mealworms and superworms can cause impaction so many people avoid them altogether when young and introduce them when the dragon is close to adult size, as treats. Stick with crickets, roaches, phoenix worms for now.

4. With an infrared temp gun you should be able to quickly lift the lid, hold gun 2 inches away from basking platform and get an accurate reading. The low end should be 78 degrees to 84 degrees and the basking spot should be around 110 degrees, but not higher. When the dragon gets older you will drop the basking spot to 100 degrees to 105 degrees.

Enjoy your dragon.

SabineMaxine

Original Poster
DaisyDragon123":1cykogvq said:
2. No need for a red light.

Enjoy your dragon.

Thank you very much for the article!

Should i just switch back to the 100w daytime bulb then? I was just worried it'd get too cold at night.

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
I use a basking bulb and 10.0 reptisun tube. Red lights are sold primarily for night heating, but healthy dragons do not need a nighttime heat source unless the cage dips below 70 degrees. Then, you would need to get a ceramic heat emitter.

I buy my bulbs in two wattages 50 watt 75 watt. In the summer I use the 50 watt and during the winter I use a 75 watt. This will vary from region to region and what you have your house thermostat set on. I'm in the southern US and we have hot summers.

You will need to experiment with different wattage basking bulbs to get the correct basking temperature. Sometimes you may have to adjust the height of your baking platform. This is why a probe or infrared heat gun is so important.

Below I have a picture of Daisy's basking platform. I had to place the tile on top of a shoe box to get the temp right. The shoebox height allowed me to get the correct basking range.

83620-5058742431.jpg

I hope that answers your question. You just have to mess around with it to get the correct temps. But once you get it right, it is only little tweaks here or there.

SabineMaxine

Original Poster
Oh okay! That sounds perfect. I'll monitor the temp at night; I'm in southern Cali so it's not all that hot but it's been pretty warm.

I'll switch to the 100w basking bulb and monitor the temp at night. If it's warm enough, I'll ditch the infrared. I'll also look into getting the uvb!

I think a prob thermometer is what I have? I had it for my aquarium- but it's a small digital reader with a long cable and small probe at the end on a suction cup. Is that right?

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
I've never used a prob, just a temp gun so I can get readings on the cool end, middle, and basking spot.

I meant to also say that red lights during the night should not be used on dragons. It interferes with their sleep. That is the reason I suggested a ceramic heatile emitter, if night temp in cage goes below 70. Dragons need darkness.

SabineMaxine

Original Poster
DaisyDragon123":24buxmk5 said:
I've never used a prob, just a temp gun so I can get readings on the cool end, middle, and basking spot.

I meant to also say that red lights during the night should not be used on dragons. It interferes with their sleep. That is the reason I suggested a ceramic heatile emitter, if night temp in cage goes below 70. Dragons need darkness.

Got it! I'll be looking into all of that ASAP. Thank you again! That was all very straightforward and immensely helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom