8 Year Old Beardie Jack (I WAS NEGLECTFUL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

singtoyou

Hatchling Member
Some of you may have already talked to me about Jack and for that I thank you...I also posted this very message as a blog for all to read just incase they have been out of the loop also.I hope that in sharing this with others that it might help someone else out there understand that you can't just get an animal like this and take care of it like a dog or cat. I unfortunatly did just that and Jack had to suffer because of it. I never knew that a website like this excisted. Had I a long time ago found this website Jack would had been a lot better a lot sooner. I only found it by searching google because Jack just seemed to be getting worse. Here is his breif story:

I got Jack when he was 5 months old and have had my beardie for 8 years now. I never knew that I was taken care of him wrong. You are told so many different stories on how to take care of your beardies. Well this website saved my Jacks Life! I have had the same UVB Light on him for "8 Years" that's right! I didn't know and never was told any different. And I only thought calcium was for his growing bones! Auh!!! Didn't know that was wrong either. :banghead: And was told no more pinkies because of his age...that pinkies had to much fat content.....I feed only fruits and veggies and not a variety either. Well, needless to say; Jack has gone down hill in the last couple of years, so thin and not much movement. I know! It sounds horrible. And it is, I blame myself for not researching more for him. I just thought that, that was the way older lizards look and react. Well, in saying all that, Jack now as of 2/8/09 has a brand new UVB light, and new black light warming light, A new diet with worms, different greens, and fruits, and calcium. He is acting so much better, really alert, running around in his cage, and basking like never before. He is drinking very well also. He is going to the bathroom well and not regurgitating anything back up. We are on a good road to recovery. It will take a while to get more weight put back on him. That will just come in time. I am just very thankful that I have this website now and can share with others how Jack is now recovering from my neglectful behavior. I will not let that happen to him again now that I really know how to take care of him. I just love him. Thanks to all who helped me Singtoyou
100_8412.jpg
Here is a picture of him today 2/10/09
100_8410.jpg

singtoyou

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I am taking pictures of Jack every Day to see improvement and I have seen dramatic change since the 8th of February here.
I will place them in order so you can see.

THese 2 pictures: 1 & 2 are before I started making the food & lighting changes Jack looked terrible.
0daysoftreating.jpg

0days.jpg

THis picture: is the first day of change in the evening time
1dayafterfeedLightchanges.jpg

THese pictures: are the 2nd day after changeing food & lighting.
2days.jpg

2daysnitetime.jpg

THese pictures: are today 3rd day after all the changes so far.
3rdday.jpg

3days.jpg

He was in such bad shape that I think his body is adapting really well and fast to all
my changes I am making for him.

I am going to keep taking daily pictures of Jack to see how much he is improving everyday.
Thanks to all.
I thought those of you who have been seeing me through all this would like to see these
pictures of him. The first ones I am ashamed of....but at least I know what I need to do
for him now.
THanks SingToYou :blob5: :blob8:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great job, Jack must be feeling so much better now. At least you are giving him the best now & he should have more years with you & should drastically improve for you. :D
We all learn, & help each other on here.

Tracie

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Thanks for sharing those pics. He must be a very strong/healthy beardie to survive so well without uvb and calcium for 7 years. I'm assuming you gave him calcium the first year you had him.

singtoyou

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you to you both! Oh Man, I sure hope I have more years with this little guy.
You know after all the talk on here I am surprised myself. Carrots have been his most
favorite veggie and I got to say that is something he would get all the time, because he
wouldn't eat other stuff so it was like his main food. So maybe the carrots are what has kept
him good all these years. ??? He doesn't know it yet cause I haven't told him, but carrots are not
going to be his main food they are going to be dessert! :p
Yes I gave him calcium for the first year always on his crickets. You guys are all so great on here.
I really do appreciate you all. I hope that my story with Jack has helped some newbies on here Of
what not to do, and then what to do. I sure hope that I can be a help to someone out there like
all you have been to me. Thanks guys

Josie

singtoyou

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Oh :) That was sweet to say. Say I have made another post over in the General Discussion, its called
I'd like to see your bearded dragons send picturs please.
If you would like could you all go over there and send some pictures and share your babies with the others?
I am loving seeing all the different beardies of everybodies. Its sooooooooo coooooooooool I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sohaiko
Top Bottom