67 gallon tank lighting and screen top questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan on upgrading my beardies tank to a 67 gallon pretty soon and I don't really know how many watts on her uvb light would be needed. If you could suggest some trustworthy (but not too expensive ;-;) brands that would be very helpful. I was also wondering if it is required to put your lighting inside the cage or have no screen top. I haven't tried anything like that yet but if it'll really help my beardie I can find a way to fit it into my budget (I'm upgrading everything in her tank so I'm trying not to spend too much..).

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would get a 24" fixture w/ reflector and a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb - inside the tank 12-15 inches directly above basking decor w/ no screen - if there is a screen depending on the screen type fine mesh like a screen door or wide holed type it can sit on top distance w/ screen 8-10 inches -- basking bulbs are trial and error -- I would start w/a 100 watt bright white basking bulb -- some on here are able to use House hold bulbs I cannot they do not keep my tanks warm enough -- some on here use flood lights I believe but use stands to keep the temps from getting too hot -- I use the Exo Terra Intense basking bulb 150 watt on my 120 gallon tank and its sits on top of the screen - I also have a piece of decor that offers gradient heat --
Karrie

Impawsiblesquad

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3jqak667 said:
I would get a 24" fixture w/ reflector and a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb - inside the tank 12-15 inches directly above basking decor w/ no screen - if there is a screen depending on the screen type fine mesh like a screen door or wide holed type it can sit on top distance w/ screen 8-10 inches -- basking bulbs are trial and error -- I would start w/a 100 watt bright white basking bulb -- some on here are able to use House hold bulbs I cannot they do not keep my tanks warm enough -- some on here use flood lights I believe but use stands to keep the temps from getting too hot -- I use the Exo Terra Intense basking bulb 150 watt on my 120 gallon tank and its sits on top of the screen - I also have a piece of decor that offers gradient heat --
Karrie
Thanks a lot for going so in depth about it! So if you have a screen top but your beardie can get 6-10 inches close to it that would be adequate?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
My tank is 24" high so he is no where near the 6-10-- his basking decor piece at the top is 14" from light - and at the 14" its around 102 or so depending on how warm my room gets -- if my room is warm that spot is warmer - you dont want him closer than 6 " to that light --
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, what are the dimensions of the tank ? That's very important in determining if the uvb will be mounted in or outdide of the screen. The screen type is also important because if it's very fine mesh [ like on our window screens ] then you need to put the uvb inside but if the tank is not TOO tall and the screen is the type with larger holes , the uvb can sit on top. Can you post pics of the tank + screen or do you not have it yet and have no access to pictures ? Here's how to post pics :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

Impawsiblesquad

Original Poster
AHBD":37j40vao said:
Hi there, what are the dimensions of the tank ? That's very important in determining if the uvb will be mounted in or outdide of the screen. The screen type is also important because if it's very fine mesh [ like on our window screens ] then you need to put the uvb inside but if the tank is not TOO tall and the screen is the type with larger holes , the uvb can sit on top. Can you post pics of the tank + screen or do you not have it yet and have no access to pictures ? Here's how to post pics :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them
Here's the link for it: https://www.amazon.com/Carolina-Custom-Cages-Terrarium-36Lx24Dx18H/dp/B0738KGWLP/ref=sr_1_9?crid=FWX3K4BPZXJS&dchild=1&keywords=48x24x18+terrarium&qid=1601243213&sprefix=48x24x18+ter%2Caps%2C170&sr=8-9
I saw in the questions section that the sellers said that mounting the light on top of the screen wouldn't be an issue because of something about the steel mesh screen...?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
As long as the screen is a wider hole type and not a fine mesh like a screen door that would be fine distance for a T 5 top of screen would be 8-10 inches w/ basking decor directly underneath -- screens block 30% of the rays --- how high is the tank ? If its 24" it would need to go inside the tank -- you dont want your basking decor piece really high---
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok w/ that being said I would put it inside the tank --- 12-15 inches from basking decor directly above it
Karrie

Impawsiblesquad

Original Poster
KarrieRee":11vfoeul said:
Ok w/ that being said I would put it inside the tank --- 12-15 inches from basking decor directly above it
Karrie
Thanks! What could be used to hold the lights in the cage? Heavy duty tape or something similar? Or do you need to buy something specifically made for it? Also does a dome light work fine paired with a reptisun? Or are they incompatible for each other? So sorry for all the questions! Its just its pretty new to me :lol:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Here some things to hang w/ 3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – long plastic zip ties
fishing line -- potted plant wire hangers -- shoe laces -- Tak-ty hook and loop cable ties you can see if Walmart carries these
You need a bright white basking bulb I am not sure what your talking about "dome" light - it looks like this https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/environmental-control-and-lighting/exo-terra-intense-basking-spot-light-14809.html?cgid=500202
If your talking about a UVB you need a fixture w/ reflector looks like this
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html
and this bulb a 22" https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-t5.html
You can look at your petstores but most do not carry the length or the T 5 bulbs
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom