55 gallon tank ~ how many beardies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a 5-6 month old that we just moved into a 55 gallon tank. A friend of mine has a baby that she has to give up and wanted to know if I would take the little one but I don't know if that is feasible. Can you have 2 beardies in a 55 gallon and if I can how do I introduce them?

Hi. It is really not at all advisable to have more than one dragon in any size enclosure. Beardies can be very territorial and can fight with/harm each other. Even if they do not outwardly appear to be showing aggression, one can still be dominating the other in more subtle ways, and this can lead to stress and ill health on the part of the more submissive dragon. Besides, 55 gallons would not adequately house 2 dragons anyway, even if they could live together. A standard 55 gallon tank is usually very narrow, and although it would be okay for a baby, it most likely would not be wide enough for a single adult. Hope this helps!

BrianB

Just to add: Your 5-6 month old would merrily eat another beardie if there's enough size difference. So, if it's truly a baby, don't let the big one near it until it's a juvie size.

You should also quarantine any new animal brought into the house. Keep them separated by distance, don't share supplies, and wash hands after handling/doing cage maintenance.

For two dragons, I'd look at two 40 breeder footprint cages, about 36x18" floor space. That's a decent size for a single adult dragon, though they'll happily use more size if you can give it to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom