2 month old beardie, not eating. HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

PentzFamily5

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Looks good. Just need something sooner then later. Do you know how fast their shipping is. Looking for somewhere local.

PentzFamily5

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Is Exo Terra Repti Glo 10.0 fluorescent tube ok. I took out the coil, so now he has nothing. Still not eating. Can't find the one that was suggested close by.

mudskipper

Juvie Member
If you can't find it locally, then order online. 8) Arcadia 12% is also another good bulb. You can order it at http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/ If you research and read other posts, you will only see people recommending only the non coiled Zoo Med Repti Sun 10% and Arcadia 12% bulbs. :wink:

Shipping can be as fast as overnight to 5-8 days depending on how much you want to pay.

PentzFamily5

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Day 5, still not eating. How long does it usually take? Is there a dragon candy, something that he's gonna eat. Anything. I'm going to go pick up everything I possibly can that's ok to feed him. Have tried the crickets, bell peppers, kale, mango, strawberry. Not eating anything. Going to try some squash and blueberries tomorrow.

mudskipper

Juvie Member
Think about this. When you are sick or not feeling well, does it matter how tasty the food in front of you is? Your baby dragon is no different. When a new baby is not eating, it's usually because there's something wrong with the lights, the temperatures, the size of the tank, what he sees outside the tank, his reflections in the glass, or the type or the size of the food. If all of these things are already optimal, maybe he just needs a couple of days to adjust.

If you ordered that bulb the first time someone suggested it to you on Saturday, you would have had a new bulb by now. He may not eat until the set up is right. I think you need to read other threads and care sheets and see what other people are doing. There are PLENTY of "my baby won't eat" posts out there. Read what their problems are, what other members have suggested, what changes the owners of those babies did, and what the results are. I just wanted to point out to you that you are asking very common questions (which show you are not researching on your own) and not really doing anything with the answers you are getting. People on the other side of your computer screen can only do so much.

To be honest, I have only held a bearded dragon once. I know all these things purely from reading the posts from this wonderful forum. There's no reason why you can't do the same.

PentzFamily5

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The condescending attitude is not needed. I'm stressed out as it is already.
I'm doing everything that people have suggested except purchasing the lighting online. ( not that it's any of your business, but I'm not able to do that ). I have purchased a light. I am trying everything. I'm hoping the light helps, with his appetite. I've also introduced some wax worms and we are heading out to get some Chinese cabbage and blueberries. This little guy would be eating better them me if he would just eat it.
As for reading other posts I've literately read them all.

Spikeshuman

Juvie Member
I cant even imagine your stress level at this point.. I would be beside myself.. completely freaking out. Have you tried taking him to a vet? I have an amazing reptile vet where I live and I have no clue what I would do without him. Even if you haven't yet.. its probably a good idea to look for one in your area anyway.. you never know when you will need one. I have seen that people feed baby food through syringes.. maybe you can give that a try? Chicken and turkey baby food.. sometimes flavored with squash or carrots.. is what I have seen done. Good luck.

PentzFamily5

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks, I will try the syringe feeding.
I actually got him to eat 3 crickets. Once again I had to hand feed him, but if that is what it takes to get him eating then I'm prepared to do it. The worms I picked up are way to big, but as I am hand feeding anyways I will try to feed them half at a time or mush them up to use the syrinng. I hope this light helps. Fingers crossed.

mudskipper

Juvie Member
I sincerely apologize that my previous post sounded mean. That was not my intention at all. Since you are unable to get the recommended UVB bulb, are you able to take him outside to be in the sun? Did he eat the waxworms? Usually nobody can say no to those.

PentzFamily5

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Apology accepted. As I mentioned, really stressed. Didn't want the worms at all, hand fed 3 crickets. Will try again tomorrow. I'm not giving up on this little guy. Saw some juveniles at a store today that we're so active and chasing around the crickets.
Should I be hand feeding? He has to eat, right. As long as he's pooping?
I'm so confused.
This little dude is causing a lot of stress.
I'm the type of person that can't handle when a gold fish dies. It's a pet no matter how small.
One week, I've already invested so much time.
Why stop now.
Thank you everybody for your help.

Spikeshuman

Juvie Member
How big is he.. and how big are the crickets? Im sure that someone has mentioned to you already that the crickets should be no bigger than the space between his eyes? If the crickets are fairly large.. and hes fairly small.. maybe 3 is enough? Although I would not suggest continuing if the crickets are big. When I first got Spike I was unaware of the size issue and was picking out smaller crickets from my leopard geckos food stash and I was feeding him ones that were no bigger than his mouth. He only ate maybe 2 or 3 because they were too big for him. I only did this the first day before reading my beardie book. The next day I got pinhead crickets.. which were super small.. and he ate like 30-40 each feeding. Sorry if this is repeat info. Also.. if he is hand feeding.. at least he is eating. Spike can be super lazy.. and will just sit and stare at food.. but if i pick them up and feed him.. he may eat 10-20 crickets, and Spike is lazy too.. he doesn't actively move around his enclosure .. ever! He just sits in one spot on his branch. Sometimes he makes the one inch step from his branch to his hammock.. but that's it! I have bought him new accessories.. and tried to get him to move about.. but he just sits. Even when I take him outside... he just sits on a rock. I gave up worrying about it because hes growing.. eating.. and drinking. Anyway.. good luck with the feeding.. and I know its BEYOND stressful not knowing what to do for the little guy but all you can do is keep at it.

PentzFamily5

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He's only about 5-6 inches. He is more active today with the new light. I hand fed him one cricket this morning. They are small. He doesn't even look at the worms I put in. I have left the crickets in there hoping he will chase them down.
He's a question I can't seem to find the answer to. Is it ok to just leave it bare glass for now, cause the crickets keep hiding under the paper towel.

Spikeshuman

Juvie Member
Im not sure about your baby.. but sliding around stresses Spike out.. if he cant grip what hes walking on he gets pretty frantic. Also, I wouldn't leave the crickets in their while he is sleeping.. especially not over night. Im not sure if tiny crickets can do damage.. but I know crickets bite in general.. and the crawling wont wake the dragon up so its possible that they will bite him/chew on him. Honestly if I were you.. I would be trying to hand feed him a cricket every hour. I know thats pretty impossible for most people.. but if you can do it.. try. When Spike goes on hunger strikes.. I retry every hour or so. When your freaking out.. just remember.. him eating something is better than eating absolutely nothing.

PentzFamily5

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I do remove the crickets at night, I try to feed him an hour or so before lights out. Whatever he doesn't eat or I don't squish, I remove.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom