2 month old beardie, not eating. HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

PentzFamily5

Hatchling Member
Is it just stress from the environment change. It's stressing me out.

Tank size : 20 gallon
Lighting : UVB light and heat lamp
Cool side is at 80degrees warm basking side at 103-106
Substrate : using paper towel right now
Trying to feed 1 week old crickets, very small. Dusting with vitamin powder and calcium. Introduced some shredded carrot today. Misting a couple times a day.
Thanks for any advice

PentzFamily5

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Sorry, so rude. Didn't introduce ourselves. We are the Pentz Family. Logan our 9 year old just got the Beardie. His name is Stanley.

TheWerewolf

Gray-bearded Member
Welcome! I have a few questions.
What UVB do you have? Is it a coil or tube? What brand?
What color is the heat light? Is it clear or white?
Here is a food chart. Carrots aren't that good for them. http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Has Stanley pooped? What did it look like? Did it smell horrid?
How long have you had him? What age is he? How long is he from tip of nose to tip of tail?
Sorry about all these questions. But I'm just trying to help. :)

PentzFamily5

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the quick reply.

UVB is Exo terra coil.
Heat light is clear and emits a yellowish light
It did poop. It was runny. Didn't smell bad.
Have only had it for two days nd was told it was 8 weeds old.
About 6 inches long.

OMG Carrot is no good. I keep reading conflicting info.

Pentz Family

TheWerewolf

Gray-bearded Member
Yeah, I think I know the problem. Petstores give the wrong info. :roll: Please turn off the coil and give the baby some natural sun. One hour a day of sun works wonders. You need to get a tube UVB, and only two types work. The ReptiSun 10.0 and the Arcadia 12%. Here is a site that sells the ReptiSun for cheap. http://www.petmountain.com/ But depending on where you live it may take a while to come. The baby could also be going through relocation stress. That may be the cause of runny poo.
Hope this helps and I am very happy to help you! :D

BeardieMommy3991

Sub-Adult Member
Welcome! Werewolf gave some very good advice!

If you are ever wondering what is good or not to feed Stanley, there is this wonderful chart all of us use.

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

(Beleive me, you are not the only person to get misinformed by petstores. :roll: Most of them either want to sell the most they can, or sincerely don't know about the creature they are advising. Everyone on here is very knowledgable, very understanding and very nice. :)

PentzFamily5

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Sweet thanks. I as referred to this site by someone on Can Reef, as that is the forum we us for our 180g salt aquarium.
I have the nutrition page on my phone now so I never have a worry.
Quick update.
As of today
Day 3 with us, i sort of force fed him 4 crickets today. I rubbed squished mango on his mouth and when he opened to lick it off I put a cricket in. Not for fully, just a bit, then he pulled then right in.
Still doesn't seem to care about them when I just put them in the tank to feed. I have heard of people feeding in a separate container but don't want to stress him out any more. I do remove everything else from the tank when I feed, except his water dish.
Don't care how long I have to hand feed, I'll do it. Just wish he would chase them down himself.
Thanks for the info

BeardieMommy3991

Sub-Adult Member
As it is only day 3, it's no wonder he is being finicky. :) Some dragons take up to a week or two to get over the stress of an entirely new environment. I wouldn't force feed crickets, as he could choke, but keep offering and I am sure he will warm up to them. The change in bulb will also make a world of difference in him, as UVB helps to stimulate their appatites.

The most important thing is to give him a chance to get used to his new home and you. If you are worried about him not eating his crix, you can always mix up butternut squash and chicken/turkey babyfood and drip it on his nose for him to lick.

:D

mudskipper

Juvie Member
Have you got a new fixture and new bulb? Please read this to see why it's important that you switch ASAP. http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor.htm The most recommended bulbs for bearded dragons are Zoo Med Repti Sun 10 and Arcadia 12%. 18" or 24" long depending on your tank size. Return the Exo Terra bulb.

Do not force feed crickets though. If he's not eating because he can't properly digest food right now due to his set up, the crickets would just sit in his stomach.

For the heat bulbs, the best ones are old fashioned clear incandescent bulbs. If you have a hard time finding 75 watt or 100 watt, you can buy them in bulk on Amazon with free shipping. Get the 100 watt and a dimmable lamp from Fluker's.

Did you measure the basking spot with an infrared temperature gun? The surface temperature is generally warmer than the air temperature on the basking spot. You can get one on Amazon as well or at Petsmart or Petco.

Good luck :)

PentzFamily5

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well, he's still not eating still really.
I have removed the UVB light I was using. Is it ok to take a 2 month old out into the sun and how long is ok. Cause that I can totally do, for now anyways.
I wasn't really force feeding, but I understand if things aren't going right he may not be digesting them. I know he likes mango. That's the only thing he is really getting and only if I rub it on his mouth.
Anyone in the lower mainland that could come over and have a look at him? The store that I bought him from said to bring him back in and they will check on it. My fear is they are just going to say they will switch for a different one. That will not be a good thing in the eyes of the 9 year old owner. I'm stressing out. It will break his heart if he dies. This is his first pet.
Oh and to answer the poop question, it's runny and reddish/white. Hope that's not blood.
Thanks for all the help.

PentzFamily5

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I've put in 5 small crickets. A salad of kale,red bell pepper and mango. He still won't eat anything. He only drinks when I spray him. Took him outside for 1/2 hour direct sunlight. Gave him a warm bath. I have a thermometer that sits right on the basking rock to make sure he doesn't get burnt. Anywhere in the lower mainland that sells the proper UVB lighting I should have.
Already in the works to build an enclosure that will be good for him to grow.
I really need to keep this little guy alive.

mudskipper

Juvie Member
The Lower Mainland like in Canada? Sounds cold. He probably shouldn't be outside if it's in the 60's.

You can buy these Repti Sun 10 bulbs online or google for pet stores in your area and see which ones have them. Have you checked the pet store you got him from? Just get it overnighted or something if you have to order online.

mudskipper

Juvie Member
As long as it's not cold, he will be fine in a tub in the sun. Some beardies freak out when they go outside though. I wouldn't hold him in your hand and would just keep him in a tub in case he panicks and tries to run away. Make sure it doesn't get too hot and that he has a place to hide from direct sun.

PentzFamily5

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Another day, Stanley did not eat anything. The temps seem to be right throughout the day. Looking for the right lighting now, for UVB. Anyone have one they are not using to help me out. Don't even know where to look around here for that kind of light fixture. Since the store I went to sold me the wrong stuff in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom