12 month old male possible brumating??

Scotty97

Beardie name(s)
Scales
Our 12 month old bearded dragon ‘Scales’ has started acting weird.

All of a sudden he’s not eating any salad or bugs, and has been hiding in the corner of his Viv.

We also noticed he was digging a little at his reptile carpet, and has been sleeping a lot through the days.

We did bath him two days ago and he went to toilet etc.

Could this be his first ever brumation?

As you can tell, Scales is our first bearded dragon, so we are a little concerned.
90A45D5E-2F6D-4570-AB95-0B6E807FF24D.jpeg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Our 12 month old bearded dragon ‘Scales’ has started acting weird.

All of a sudden he’s not eating any salad or bugs, and has been hiding in the corner of his Viv.

We also noticed he was digging a little at his reptile carpet, and has been sleeping a lot through the days.

We did bath him two days ago and he went to toilet etc.

Could this be his first ever brumation?

As you can tell, Scales is our first bearded dragon, so we are a little concerned. View attachment 73156
What are you using for a uvb? Coil or tube? What are the surface basking temps-- and how are you taking them?

Scotty97

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Scales
We are using a Reptile Systems ECO T5 zone 3, 39w

The temps are as follows.

Basking 40 at basking log using IR Temp gun.
Warm area 36 using digital thermometer & probe.
Cool zone around 28 using digital thermometer & probe.

The one thing we did recently change was our basking lamps, from a Habistat 75w to a Reptile systems 75w.

This photo gives a rough idea of lay out. Although we now have a log hut in corner under hammock

20DB044B-1764-4336-A2C2-C027246F62A5.jpeg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
We are using a Reptile Systems ECO T5 zone 3, 39w

The temps are as follows.

Basking 40 at basking log using IR Temp gun.
Warm area 36 using digital thermometer & probe.
Cool zone around 28 using digital thermometer & probe.

The one thing we did recently change was our basking lamps, from a Habistat 75w to a Reptile systems 75w.

This photo gives a rough idea of lay out. Although we now have a log hut in corner under hammock

View attachment 73157
Was he doing this before you changed the basking bulb out or after? And I am not real familiar w / the UVB bulb your using - where is the UVB made? If its China please replace it- does he have a gradient heat for basking - 40 is 104F and w/ him being a year old he may not like that hot of a temp. We recommend 95-100 F for juvies/ adult - basking temps and UVB are the most common for them hiding and not eating- what is the distance from UVB to basking decor - is the bulb a T 5 or a T 8 ?

Scotty97

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Scales
Thanks for the info.

I’ll turn the thermostat down slightly to lower the basking temperature slightly, and see if that makes a difference.

I’ll also measure the distance from the UVB light (T5).

I know it’s a rubbish photo, but the basking bulb runs across Viv, slightly towards the front.
B82D3EEA-A56C-4CEF-ACEF-4A54C329CFB4.jpeg
78A0A6CD-14E4-4B84-96E2-B02B75E25EEF.jpeg
3EF558F7-09C6-4107-B523-C6C1DB45374F.jpeg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thanks for the info.

I’ll turn the thermostat down slightly to lower the basking temperature slightly, and see if that makes a difference.

I’ll also measure the distance from the UVB light (T5).

I know it’s a rubbish photo, but the basking bulb runs across Viv, slightly towards the front. View attachment 73186 View attachment 73187 View attachment 73188
Is he basking under the T 5? Try the basking temp lower and see if he starts basking - let me know please

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
There's a slight chance that it's something to do with the lighting but most likely brumation behavior and perfectly normal + harmless. He may stay that way for a few days, weeks or even a couple of months.

Scotty97

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Scales
Ok thanks.

I will tweak temperature to bring it down to the recommended temps.

Is there anything I need to be doing during this period, if it is brumation?? Food, water, lighting etc??

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
No, just let him sleep and you can offer water after 2 weeks or so if he's still awake by dripping it on his nose. You can tuck a thick wad of folded paper towel under his beard to catch any drops. Night temps. can go down to the mid to low sixties sand if he actually stays asleep you can lessen the time that the lights are on to about 8-10.

Scotty97

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Scales
To be honest, he’s not fully asleep, he wakes when I walk in room, but seems to drop off to sleep while I’m in there

Scotty97

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Scales
Thanks for all your info.

Just got home from work and he was lying there with his eyes open, and didn’t react to me walking by Viv, I had to give him a little tap to make sure he was still alive. This is scary when you don’t understand what’s going on

Tweaked his basking temp down slightly.

UVB light is between 10-14 inches away from basking area, depending where he is on the log

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thanks for all your info.

Just got home from work and he was lying there with his eyes open, and didn’t react to me walking by Viv, I had to give him a little tap to make sure he was still alive. This is scary when you don’t understand what’s going on

Tweaked his basking temp down slightly.

UVB light is between 10-14 inches away from basking area, depending where he is on the log
Watch his behavior now w/ the temps lowered - uvb sounds good for distance - they will go off their food at times so just keep an eye on him and keep us posted

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaineyPoo
Top Bottom