10 month old dragon scratching, digging and pacing

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She's doing fine, this is just normal teenage behavior. Her mouth is fine, no rot there starting. It's going in to a shed and there's nothing of concern on the inside. No paranoia necessary on this thread. :)

DanielleGia920

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Lmao, I’m driving myself crazy!!! The fact that she’s not really eating and won’t take water is driving me nuts.

Thanks AHBD!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, there isn't any mouth issues going on, it looks very healthy. She is going to shed
on her face/mouth area a bit.
She still isn't eating or drinking? It can be frustrating for sure!
That is one large laybox....too bad she wont stay in it. Has she dug much at all yet? If
she has eggs, I hope she lays them soon.

Tracie

DanielleGia920

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I never had any luck with the lay box. She digs in her tank but as soon as you put her in the box she stops digging and all she focuses on is getting out of the laybox. Yesterday she stayed in the cool end all day, her temp was 77 degress ? I was pretty worried so I started Inspecting her yet again last night lol and saw a couple of scales on her toe looked blackish. At first, I thought she stepped in something so I put her in the bath and cleaned her feet using a tooth brush, but it wouldn’t come off. I Put her back in the tank and looked at it under the light and saw a thick shed wrapped around her toes.
93630-1701912885.jpg
she usually doesn’t like me touching her toes but she literally held her foot up for me as I soaked her feet and tried removing the shed. At one point, I got a nice piece of shed off and she immediately flung her foot right up to her face, she looked at it, licked it, and then put it back and held it up for me to continue. It was pretty funny! This is what her foot looks like now
93630-3974768249.jpg
93630-8468702463.jpg
Since I removed most of the shed last night she’s eaten 7 supers and took 3mls of water from a dropper willingly. The symptoms first started when she was shedding her back legs, maybe that’s what was bothering her all along. I’m going to soak her again today and keep spraying the foot with the shed ease, hopefully everything returns to normal. ?

DanielleGia920

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yippeee she seems to be doing better. She ate 30 crickets today. Even though she went off her food for about two weeks she has only lost 2 grams ? She was 311 grams and yesterday when I weighed her she was 309 grams. Awesome!

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
She looks very healthy, big, and happy. It sounds a lot like the shed was bothering her, and she did have a few spots of retained shed or "stuck" shed that was probably bothering her, but no cause for concern at all.

Just as an FYI to you, since you obviously really care about your girl and much like I do, you'll drive yourself insane every time you think something is wrong, lol, so I thought I would just let you know what I just went through, or am still going through, lol, with my girl. I'm a few months a head of you, as my girl is 1 year and 2 months old, but she looks almost exactly like your girl, same length, same all-around shape with the big belly, same face, same head, same everything except Izzy is a bit more orange than your girl is, that's it. Otherwise they look exactly the same. I weighed Izzy yesterday before a bath and she weighed 522 grams, then she pooped in the bath so I weighed her again and she weighed 497 grams. And most of her weight is in her belly and her tail, her tail is really wide and heavy at the base. But the reason I'm telling you this is because Izzy started acting exactly the same way that your girl is now a few months ago, probably when she was around 11 months old. My first dragon was a male who lived to be just shy of 13, and he didn't go through this like Izzy is, and after reading your post I feel better, as I'm now thinking this may be a female hormonal thing...

I got Izzy at Petco when she was probably about a month old, just 4.5" long. She has eaten large BSFL as her main staple since I brought her home, with a hornworm or a wax worm as occasional treats. She's always been given a fresh salad every single day, but she never really touched it until a few months ago, while my 8 month old boy has eaten a large amount of salad since he was a month old. Izzy really wouldn't touch her greens/veggies unless I hand-fed them to her one piece at a time, like a piece of greens, then maybe a little piece of broccoli flower, a shed of carrot, but that's it. She loved her bugs though, and she has never once stopped eating them. She's never been sick, never had parasites or any other health issues at all. Then at around 11 months old she started to trash her enclosure, and I mean trash it! She started glass-surfing at the front doors of her enclosure all day long, I'd let her out (she's usually free in my bedroom a lot of the time anyway, I have a MegaRay basking spot set-up for her in there, and her enclosure is on the floor so she can come and go as she pleases, with the door to the bedroom latched). She would throw her salad all over the place, flip over basking logs and rocks, flip over her little kitten-bed she sleeps in, then jump in her large water dish and splash around all over the place. So that's when I started letting her run around my room, and run she did! She would hall-butt all over my bedroom, until she finally got tired and would fall asleep somewhere, but then she would just start over again.

Then she started slowing down on eating her bugs, which really worried me because she never had any issues with eating a ton of live BSFL and whatever else I offered her every day. But then i noticed one morning, while I was worrying about her refusing her bugs, that her entire salad was gone. I figured it was just tossed under all of the decor she had wrecked and thrown everywhere, but nope, it was gone, and she refused any bugs that day. So I made her a much larger salad the next day, left for a few hours, came home and the entire salad was gone again. I couldn't believe she had eaten that much salad, but since she was eating no live bugs it made sense. So essentially she just suddenly switched herself over from live bugs to a huge salad every day. i was afraid that she was going to lose weight, but at that time she only weighed in the low 400 grams, and since she started eating probably 85% salad and 15% bugs she has gained about 100 grams! She now hovers around 510 grams. And she's now all-belly, which I too thought might be infertile eggs when combined with all the glass-surfing and tank-trashing, but nope, no eggs. I'm looking at her right now as I'm typing and she's digging to get out right now...ugh.

She went to my CRV last month for her yearly wellness checkup, and this time I had a full blood panel done because I was worried about her weight gain and the big belly, I wanted to make sure there was no Fatty Liver Disease or Kidney issues...Oh, also, she hadn't had a shed in quite a while, probably not since she was 6-7 months old, and that wasn't a full body shed...well right at the beginning of January she started to shed her tail, then everything else followed, which made her even crazier. She just finished the shed, it took forever for her tail to shed this time, and since she finished the shed she has calmed down considerably, though she still does scratch to get out every day, and she still loves to over-turn her salad and throw it all over the enclosure before eating it, lol...

So her blood work was perfect, her fecal test was negative except for a few pinworm eggs that do not need to be treated, and her x-ray showed perfect bone density. So I asked my vet why she was flipping out every day, and why she suddenly decided to switch herself from almost all live bugs and no salad to almost all salad and no bugs in literally one day, and he summed it up to puberty and the shedding. Other than that she's perfectly healthy and happy, and even though everyone who sees her tells me she's fat and needs to lose weight because "she's going to develop Fatty Liver Disease if her belly stays that large", her blood work proves otherwise. She's just a big, healthy girl full of hormones who went through a long full-body shed that pissed her off, lol.

This is Izzy at 8 months old, before she put on the belly:

89968-1809753748.jpg

And was her around Christmas time in her new bed, bigger belly, but not full-Buddha yet:

89968-6216429965.jpg

During the shed, not happy at all, wondering why "I am" doing this to her, lol:
89968-9449392450.jpg

This is her yesterday, hiding the belly inside the bed...trust me, it's massive:
89968-9471213906.jpg

DanielleGia920

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
She is very pretty! Sounds a lot like what I’m dealing with. Deka has become very destructive lately which isn’t meshing well with my OCD. It’s like having a third child, I’m constantly cleaning up after her lol ? she seems likes she doing a little better, her tail is starting a shed now so back into grump mode. I’ll try offering her more options in her salad, maybe she’s starting to lose interest in the bugs and wants more salad. Thanks for the info Ellen.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It sounds like her shedding was really getting to her, but you can't blame her!
So no eggs yet? LOL So many of them don't lay in the layboxes & end up laying in their
tanks, randomly.
How are the darker scales looking or have they cleared up yet?
Hopefully her appetite will continue to improve, but they definitely change up from time
to time as to what foods they want.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom