Lighting Help for Newbies (:

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

Re: Lighting Help for Newbies (:

Postby CooperDragon » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:49 am

TrackDawg wrote:We decided to get a dragon, so I spent a few days building a vivarium. The tank is 54”x20”x20”. Currently I have a 100w incandescent on the left with a Reptisun 10.0 mini Compact fluorescent near the basking platform. The basking reaches a temp at 108 degrees. On the other side is a 24” Reptisun 10.0 tube. My concerns are the tube bulb on the right side is too high to be effective. Do you think this is a healthy setup? Also, if I replace my Reptisun 10.0 mini Compact fluorescent (eye health reasons) what MVB would you recommend to fit in a Reptisun mini combo deep dome (on left with incandescent)?
Thanks

Can you move your 24'' tube over the basking area? Your basking temperature is good but the mini compact UVB bulb isn't useful but the 24'' T8 tube at 6-8'' above the basking area will be decent.
CooperDragon
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby TrackDawg » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:26 am

CooperDragon wrote:Can you move your 24'' tube over the basking area? Your basking temperature is good but the mini compact UVB bulb isn't useful but the 24'' T8 tube at 6-8'' above the basking area will be decent.

Could I not replace the CF with a MVB or would it still be a useless setup on the left?
TrackDawg
Newbie Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:58 am

I wouldn't use a MVB because it will create a lot of heat and upset the gradient. They also don't produce as wide of a beam as the tube lights do so I prefer them in the main enclosure. MVBs are good in a small enclosure or as a portable basking light though.
CooperDragon
BD.org Sicko

Postby TrackDawg » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:02 am

10-4, If I slide the tube over to the CF I guess I will need to add some more lighting on the right side.
Thanks
TrackDawg
Newbie Poster

Postby Aaron1100us » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:44 am

What about the new Zoo Med 70 watt HID or the Exoterra 35,50,or70 watt HID for a 40 B tank?
Aaron1100us
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby CooperDragon » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:49 pm

The Metal Halide bulbs are very nice but they are quite powerful and tend to have fairly narrow beams. I prefer using a T5 UVB tube combined with a flood light for basking because of the wider area they provide for basking temps and basking UV. It is also nice to be able to control the heat and UVB output independently. I think MVBs and Metal Halide bulbs are better suited for travel and remote basking areas in the house rather than in a main enclosure.
CooperDragon
BD.org Sicko

Postby Nicanese » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:17 am

This is GREAT help! I was curious in regards to the overnight heat emitter, whether or not to use a black/moonlight HEAT bulb or to go ceramic since I have heard mixed reviews about both... I am going to invest in a ceramic bulb. This has been a helpful read :D
Nicanese
Newbie Poster

Postby TrackDawg » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:13 am

From what I have read you do not need a heat source at night unless your house get below the low 70's. A dragon can so those light spectrums and it will affect their sleep.
TrackDawg
Newbie Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:55 pm

Yeah for overnight heat they are OK without anything if the temps stay above 65 or so. Even when the temps drop lower (during winter in my house for example) I only bump the temps to 70-73. I use a MegaRay heat projector. Arcadia makes them too. They don't get quite so hot to the touch as a CHE does but provide plenty of heat without visible light. CHEs are good too but they get VERY hot.
CooperDragon
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Previous

Return to Enclosures