Lighting Help for Newbies (:

Hi guys just joined just want some opinions on my mew setup.

Just bought 2 baby beardies, was told they were a couple off weeks old from a clutch off 15,
I have an exo terra thats size 90x45x45
I have a 150w infared bulb and a 80w solar glo beside it in the back left corner for the hot side, and then for the cold side i just have a very small heat mat.
Hot side is between 104f-97f and cold side where the heat mat is located is about 82f and top off the cold side where they sleep is about 72f.

I leave the red lamp on at night and its at about 89f when i wake up at 7am.
Just wondering is the setup ok?
They seem to be active enough and eating and both having the odd bit off cabbage. Just wondering if i should take the heat mat out or what?
Will be gettin a uvb tube bulb because ive heard its much better just dont wanna waste more money because lighting is expensive and i wanna choose the right bulbs.
Thanks in advance

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think your temperatures are a bit high and I would replace the red bulb with a bright white bulb. Think of lighting as trying to imitate a bright sunny day. You want a bright white light that produces heat and you want a strong UVB component all to combine over the basking area. I like using a 22'' T5 tube for UVB so I can set that at appropriate height (12'' up from the basking area) and control heat independently. They aren't cheap but last quite a long time so are well worth the investment. You want the basking surface temp to be between about 100-110 and the cool side surface should be around 75-80 or so with a gradient between.

They get quite territorial and might start competing for resources like food and basking sites. This may get violent so I suggest separating them and giving them their own spaces.

Well i was thinkimg off getting an exo terra unit that takes 2 tubes and have a repti sun 10.0 in one and a fluroscent light in the other just to light up the tank would that be better? I have a 100w infared ill throw that in instead for now that drops the temp down about 4-5 degrees celsius so that should be better for them.
Is it normal for them to be active at different times because one seems to sleep a bit more than the other one and its not as active but the other one is a bit more active but i think its just different times. Could uvb be anything to do with it? Luke surely if one is ok the other should be? Like i dont think theryre fighting for spots or anythint because they lie on each other under the solar glo.
And the one thats a bit more active is smaller aswell.
Theyre both eating a good bit but ive only had them a week so maybe they are not settled in fully yet.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A dual fixture is a good idea in some cases. I still recommend using a T5 dual fixture if you do that so it produces adequate UVB. Using a UVB tube in one side and a 6.5k daylight tube in the other will make things nice and bright. One thriving and one being lethargic may be a sign that one is dominating the other and getting better access to resources. It can sometimes just be as subtle as psychological intimidation keeping one from thriving.

Ok thanks, they seemed a lot better today both off them came running for food together and both seemed very active, also could just be because the one lethargic was finishing shedding so maybe thats why.. anyway ill keep an eye on them and make any adjustments i need to ?

Mikara18

I’m gonna be getting a bearded dragon soon and I’m getting the tank all together i have a 40 gallon zoo med kit i know i need to get a tube light and my friend has been using one form Home Depot that is a grow light fixture with a ReptiSun 10.0 light in it. I was thinking about going down the same path but not sure if i should I’ve had other people tell me it’s not the best idea any opinions

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Mikara18":a4y3o3i5 said:
I’m gonna be getting a bearded dragon soon and I’m getting the tank all together i have a 40 gallon zoo med kit i know i need to get a tube light and my friend has been using one form Home Depot that is a grow light fixture with a ReptiSun 10.0 light in it. I was thinking about going down the same path but not sure if i should I’ve had other people tell me it’s not the best idea any opinions

If you are going with a T5 ReptiSun 10.0 bulb then a grow light fixture is probably the most common and effective option for using it. A T5 22'' bulb (24'' fixture) is a good option for most situations.

Hey guys so i had a solar glow in my viv but didnt think it was the right choice so i got the dual exo terra light unit and i got a fluroscent tube and bought an exo terra uvb 200 tube today so just wondering can i take the solar glow away now or should i leave it there because now i have like 4 lights. Also i put the uvb in the tank just wondering is it in a good spot or where should i place it?
Heres a pic
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f36/daniel_mcloughlin2/20180524_184415_zpsf28oxg9c.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f36/daniel_mcloughlin2/20180524_184431_zps6mh6rwg8.jpg

TIA

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would get rid of the red light and either keep the Solar Glo for heat or replace it with a bright white halogen flood light or reptile basking light like the ZooMed Repti Basking bulb. Adjust that until your surface temps are 100-110 in the basking area and 75-85 on the other side of the tank. Take the new T8 Tube and move it over the basking area about 6-8'' above it. I would get a reflector for it and clip that behind it to make the most of the bulb.

Oh ok, i cant remove the red light just yet because i use that to keep them at the right temp because im in ireland and the 80w solar glow isnt quite hot enough for them. I will move the uvb tonight then and then look for a basking bulb, i just really like the look off that red light though?

should i keep a light on a light during the night because it drops to around 65f as i have air conditioning in my room. my other choice is to buy a CHE, but i don't have the money for it right now because i'm buying a UVA light that stretches across my tank. what should i do any suggestions?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Lexiesyms04":2rsrzrt8 said:
should i keep a light on a light during the night because it drops to around 65f as i have air conditioning in my room. my other choice is to buy a CHE, but i don't have the money for it right now because i'm buying a UVA light that stretches across my tank. what should i do any suggestions?

If it's at 65 it should be OK. Just put in something soft like a small fleece blanket so they can burrow a bit. Which UVB light are you planning to get? How far above the basking area are you planning to put it?

Jenniwashburn

Good morning! Just got our bearded a week ago from pet store and am so thankful I found this forum as it seems most of what the petstire told me was wrong and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed! In regards to lighting the store sold me an 18" zilla slimline dessert UV fixture and bulb for my 40 gallon tank. After reading this forum I went and purchased a Reptisun 10.0 UV light instead but my question is regarding fixture. Can I use this light in the zilla fixture and if so, do I need to remove the outer glass covering panel as it appears in the picture here there is no enclosure of the bulb. Also, I need to mount inside tank on back wall within 6-10" from basking spot correct?
Thanks so much!!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Jenniwashburn":17zixrss said:
Good morning! Just got our bearded a week ago from pet store and am so thankful I found this forum as it seems most of what the petstire told me was wrong and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed! In regards to lighting the store sold me an 18" zilla slimline dessert UV fixture and bulb for my 40 gallon tank. After reading this forum I went and purchased a Reptisun 10.0 UV light instead but my question is regarding fixture. Can I use this light in the zilla fixture and if so, do I need to remove the outer glass covering panel as it appears in the picture here there is no enclosure of the bulb. Also, I need to mount inside tank on back wall within 6-10" from basking spot correct?
Thanks so much!!

The Zilla fixture is OK. You definitely want to remove the clear plastic from the front as that will intercept all of the UVB. An 18'' T8 ReptiSun 10.0 should fit that fixture. They are a bit weak for a larger tank like that but if you mount it inside, directly over the basking area, and 6-8'' up it should be OK for now. Ultimately you will be better off investing in a 22'' T5 bulb and fixture that should sit about 12'' above the basking area (usually on top of a 40g tank is fine). http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/

TrackDawg

We decided to get a dragon, so I spent a few days building a vivarium. The tank is 54”x20”x20”. Currently I have a 100w incandescent on the left with a Reptisun 10.0 mini Compact fluorescent near the basking platform. The basking reaches a temp at 108 degrees. On the other side is a 24” Reptisun 10.0 tube. My concerns are the tube bulb on the right side is too high to be effective. Do you think this is a healthy setup? Also, if I replace my Reptisun 10.0 mini Compact fluorescent (eye health reasons) what MVB would you recommend to fit in a Reptisun mini combo deep dome (on left with incandescent)?
Thanks

2n8c18y.jpg

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom