Lighting Help for Newbies (:

I am going through this whole post trying to narrow down what I need and am getting overwhelmed :shock:

Currently we are keeping Kiwi in a 20 gallon tank, he is only a few months old. But I have just purchased a 40 gallon tank that we are getting ready for him/her to move into.

I see posts for lighting, but get overwhelmed with all the info. :banghead: I am trying though LOL

Needs for lighting:
1 Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO Lamp, 24 Watts that I need to find a way to hang in the enclosure (not sure what ballast means or any of that. I will be googling the hell out of this)
2 other lights for basking. I have a double dome currently, could I use that in the larger enclosure or do I need to purchase 2 separate domes?

I have laser temp gauge so I am good there. Just really want to get this lighting correct. I tried to check some of the links provided in the earlier postings on here to cheat and just buy what someone had already linked, but I can't get them to work

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
shelly2314":38bonhxb said:
I am going through this whole post trying to narrow down what I need and am getting overwhelmed :shock:

Currently we are keeping Kiwi in a 20 gallon tank, he is only a few months old. But I have just purchased a 40 gallon tank that we are getting ready for him/her to move into.

I see posts for lighting, but get overwhelmed with all the info. :banghead: I am trying though LOL

Needs for lighting:
1 Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO Lamp, 24 Watts that I need to find a way to hang in the enclosure (not sure what ballast means or any of that. I will be googling the hell out of this)
2 other lights for basking. I have a double dome currently, could I use that in the larger enclosure or do I need to purchase 2 separate domes?

I have laser temp gauge so I am good there. Just really want to get this lighting correct. I tried to check some of the links provided in the earlier postings on here to cheat and just buy what someone had already linked, but I can't get them to work

A T5 10.0 bulb is good for a 40g tank. I'd move in there now as soon as you get your lighting. You can get this fixture/bulb combo and it will work well. http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/
Or you could buy this fixture https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-26053-Reptisun-Terrarium/dp/B00AQU8F2O and replace the bulb that comes with it with this one https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-26061-Reptisun-Fluorescent/dp/B00AQU8HAO/ Either combination can go on top of a 40g about 12'' above the main basking area.

For basking, it all comes down to temperature gradient. Not all bulbs will produce the same results so you want a bright white basking bulb that produces the proper heat (100-110 basking surface with a gradient down to 75-85 on the far side of the tank - roughly). I've had good luck using halogen flood lights but the wattage you need will vary. Try a few out and see how it goes. You can use the double dome if it is rated to handle the wattage of bulb you are using. You can use two lower wattage bulbs together or one higher wattage and a ceramic heat emitter for overnight if needed (tank temps below 65).

Eldemarco

Wanted to ask, is this bulb ok for beardies, or should I stick to a tube?

61BTbUKgNZL.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That bulb will work it just needs to be kept a certain distance freon the basking area since it pumps out some pretty decent uvb. I can't recall the optimal distance off the top of my head.

-Brandon

Eldemarco

claudiusx":2w5smtq2 said:
That bulb will work it just needs to be kept a certain distance freon the basking area since it pumps out some pretty decent uvb. I can't recall the optimal distance off the top of my head.

-Brandon
optimal for the 160 Watt is 10-14 inches, but since it's on top of a screen, shouldn't it be a little closer?

Thank you sooo much...first site was out of stock so I ordered the others through amazon. We don't need a ceramic heater as we live in fl and it doesn't get colder than 70 in our house. Thank you for all of your help!

heat
CooperDragon":1ijteui7 said:
shelly2314":1ijteui7 said:
I l

A T5 10.0 bulb is good for a 40g tank. I'd move in there now as soon as you get your lighting. You can get this fixture/bulb combo and it will work well. http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/
Or you could buy this fixture https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-26053-Reptisun-Terrarium/dp/B00AQU8F2O and replace the bulb that comes with it with this one https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-26061-Reptisun-Fluorescent/dp/B00AQU8HAO/ Either combination can go on top of a 40g about 12'' above the main basking area.

For basking, it all comes down to temperature gradient. Not all bulbs will produce the same results so you want a bright white basking bulb that produces the proper heat (100-110 basking surface with a gradient down to 75-85 on the far side of the tank - roughly). I've had good luck using halogen flood lights but the wattage you need will vary. Try a few out and see how it goes. You can use the double dome if it is rated to handle the wattage of bulb you are using. You can use two lower wattage bulbs together or one higher wattage and a ceramic heat emitter for overnight if needed (tank temps below 65).

Greg

I noticed my newly acquired 3 year old Male beardie Sleeping a lot more but eating well so I’m thinking it’s Burnation time. I’ve only ownvthis Guy about 6 weeks and don’t know anything about his history
I was told by a reptile dealer and breeder of dragons to leave the lights on 24-7 to keep a dragon from going into brumation and it’s better for there heath any thoughts on this because I’ve been doing this for a week and not noticing any chance just a lazy dragon.

Sammimic

I think I need a bit more help. We are getting a bearded dragon for my son for his birthday. He wants a baby. We already have a 75 gallon tank set up with everything except the lights and the thermometer. I’ve been researching non stop and am very overwhelmed. I thought getting the compact fluorescent 10 uvb lights would be a bit easier for us as our screen on top opens on each side instead of front and back. However, I’ve seen the tube lights with a cheaper fixture that you can place inside as well. I just want to make sure I have enough uvb and enough warmth for a baby dragon in a tank that’s so large. Can someone tell me the exact light and that cheaper Walmart/Home Depot fixture that goes inside? It seems to be sold out or I am not looking at the right one. Or, should I get the compact? But I’ve read it can blind them. Oye. It’s a lot of info out there. And do I get one for one side of the tank or one that goes all the way across? Also I’ve heard the cheapo thermometers at the pet store don’t work well. What is the best thermometer to get? Sorry for so many questions. Thanks for the info in advance!!!

Eldemarco

Sammimic":3jtukkb6 said:
I think I need a bit more help. We are getting a bearded dragon for my son for his birthday. He wants a baby. We already have a 75 gallon tank set up with everything except the lights and the thermometer. I’ve been researching non stop and am very overwhelmed. I thought getting the compact fluorescent 10 uvb lights would be a bit easier for us as our screen on top opens on each side instead of front and back. However, I’ve seen the tube lights with a cheaper fixture that you can place inside as well. I just want to make sure I have enough uvb and enough warmth for a baby dragon in a tank that’s so large. Can someone tell me the exact light and that cheaper Walmart/Home Depot fixture that goes inside? It seems to be sold out or I am not looking at the right one. Or, should I get the compact? But I’ve read it can blind them. Oye. It’s a lot of info out there. And do I get one for one side of the tank or one that goes all the way across? Also I’ve heard the cheapo thermometers at the pet store don’t work well. What is the best thermometer to get? Sorry for so many questions. Thanks for the info in advance!!!

There are 2 ways that you can go about it. You can have a "under the cabinet" fixture inside the tank using velcro, or command hooks, or you can use a Mercury Vapor bulb with a dome lamp. Due to the way your tank opens, I would use the first option. a 24" fixture will be fine if placed near the basking spot. I will provide links to UVB distance by bulb below.

Due to the size of the tank, it might be a good idea to put some heat tape along the cool side on the back wall (you can put the humid hide there, and the heat will help maintain humidity in that area).

https://zoomed.com/wp-content/uploads/Choosing-Correct-UVB-Lamp-2018-07.pdf

Sammimic

OK. My tank is a 75 gallon. It is 4 feet long by 21 in high, by 18 in deep. I decided on the 36in fixture and light. Does that seem right?

I ordered this light fixture:

American Fluorescent 36" White 1-Light 25 Watt T8 Plug-In Undercabinet Light
Here's the link----
https://www.menards.com/main/lighting-ceiling-fans/indoor-lighting/accent-lights/american-fluorescent-36-white-1-light-25-watt-t8-plug-in-undercabinet-light/vtr25/p-1444423576865-c-7490.htm?searchTermToProduct=3466524

And I am about to order this light to go in it:

Zoo Med OS36 T8 ReptiSun UVB 10.0 HO
Here's the link ----
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001F97J86/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=APUR2MHW28P9F&psc=1

Would those be appropriate?

Also...what is the best thermometer to get? And I see Jess said to just get a 50-75 watt bright white light or flood light? There are so many different kinds of lights and many say soft, or halogen, etc. Would the following one work?

https://www.target.com/p/75w-reveal-2pk-aline-led-light-bulb-white-general-electric/-/A-53698496

I am on overload with all this information and maybe I'm overthinking it, but I just want to make sure we make the best decisions for our new pet. Thanks!!!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The fixture and tube bulb you ordered will work great.

As far as your basking bulb try not to get too overwhelmed with the type of bulb or whatnot, it really is quite simple :)

The bulb you linked will not be suitable. Why? Because it's an LED bulb and LEDs dont put out much heat.
You have two needs out of your basking bulb.
1. It produces the heat that you need for your basking surface
2. It produces a visible white light.

Number 1 is trial and error and depends on the type of bulb you use. Some people can use a 50w, some people have to use a 150w bulb. Different bulb types produce different amounts of heat too. For instance the globe lightbulbs I use in my bathroom are only 55w but if I use them in my tank they get my basking surface up to 109.

As far as number 2 goes, it's mainly just a statement stating the basking bulb shouldn't be a colored light like red or blue or purple.
Most household bulbs have terms that relate to their Kelvin rating which is a measurement of the color of light they put off to simplify things.
So terms light soft white, bright white, daylight, etc all are terms used to describe the color light a bulb puts off. Ideally youd want a bright white bulb. Soft whites are ok but they are a bit yellower of a light.

So really what I would do, is try a couple bulbs you have lying around the house and see if any of them get you the temp you need. If not, you can try buying some others, or you can buy a reptile basking bulb and just see which wattage of those you need.

It's a little trial and error to start out, but once you figure out your wattage then you're all set.

And make sure you're using a good thermometer. No dial stick ons!

-Brandon

Sammimic

Thank you so much for the info!!! Do you have a specific thermometer you use? Also, do I need to worry much about humidity with a desert reptile? Like could it get too humid for them?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Not so much as long as you dont live in an overly humid place.

Any of the digital ones you can pick up at petstores or Amazon should be fine. The difference in accuracy between the cheap 10 dollar ones and the really expensive ones isnt that big of a difference to make or break your temps. If using Amazon just look for one with decent reviews :)

-Brandon

LizardLover22

lilacdragon":1sb95hf0 said:
:D
Very good summary Jess, and great photo.

My only comment is a very unimportant one, but I'd suggest folks buy the best quality under-the-counter fixture they can afford, for their fluorescent tube. Ideally, get one with an electronic ballast rather than the very cheap magnetic ones. Tests have shown that the UVB output is better, and the tube lasts longer, if a good quality fixture is used; and a good fixture should last a lifetime.
In the UK we use aquarium "controllers" with cables holding the tube with end-caps, eg. the Arcadia range. These make it very easy to hang the tube where you want it, but strangely, the USA stores don't seem to sell them.
You can keep a ZooMed Reptisun 10.0 tube on a good ballast for a full year; the UVB hardly drops at all between 6 and 12 months.

Frances
I have a question reguarding getting a good ballast for the UVB Bulb I'm still in the process of researching everything I need for a Bearded Dragon but I've been researching on and off for a few years sense I was between 8 and10 so about 15-17 years on top of many other reptiles but now I'm in the process of getting everything I need for a bearded Dragon do you have any good tips for a good ballast I'm in the USA and I was planning on getting either the Reptisun 10.0 T5 HO or the ReptiSun T8 bulb which one is better as well ?
Also for the Basking Bulbs is the Zoo Med Basking Spot or the Exo Terra Intense Respti basking Spot lamp better and what wattage for a 40 Gallon Breeder glass Tank with a screen cover the dimensions are 36"L×18"W ×18"H I plan on eventually getting a bigger tank and it's an adult bearded Dragon I plan on starting with for my first thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom