Beardie Feeding Consistency

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobbieBlue

I'm about to get a beardie, but I have an inconsistent sleeping schedule. I'm wondering if a beardie (specifically a young one) needs to be fed the same time every.

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
I know with mine he knows when it’s feeding time and the same time every day he is waiting in the spot his food bowl goes.
A young beardie you need to feed 3 times a day so you couldn’t push meals back too much as then breakfast would be too close to lunch - and then lunch too close to dinner - then dinner gets pushed back and becomes too late for the beardie to bask for a good amount of time after which will result in improper digestion - which in itself brings many issues.
Consistency is quite important in all aspects of beardie keeping really- the meal times for reasons I said above - lighting on/off times for decent sleep as well as allowing time to warm up before breakfast after lights on in the morning
In saying that , to a certain extent they can work to a different schedule around you as long as it is consistent. for example if you needed to leave at 7am everyday you could have his lights on time at 5am so he could warm up and then have breakfast each day just before you leave then still do 12-14 hours lights on (some say 12 but I consistently do 14hrs) some use timers to ensure the consistency of lights.
The key is consistency - if you can find a routine that would work for you and a beardie and can be consistent then perfect :)
If not you may want to reconsider getting one until that can happen

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It isn't imperative that you feed him/her at the exact same time daily, but the youngsters do need
some type of schedule for feeding. They are growing rapidly & need protein support.
I think 2-3 times daily for feeding at that age is good.
The lighting does need to be consistent though, as their health greatly depends on the heating
& UVB in order for them to be at optimal health.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom