Why is my beardie changing colors???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Troyv2004":qxjd849k said:
One minute she is light, the next she is dark!! Is this bad???
Not bad, actually she is soaking up more heat when she turns dark, it is very normal behavior!!!

Troyv2004

Original Poster
Thanks! I didn't know that. Also, can I take her out to play with her, she is very playful in her tank.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Hi,

This is completely normal. They change color based on their perceived temperature. A beardie can turn itself a darker color when it's feeling cooler/cold in an attempt to absorb more visible light (and thus heat up). The reverse is true, and sometimes they will also open their mouths to thermoregulate if they're feeling really warm, and a basking beardie with its mouth open pretty much means it's at its optimal temperature for digesting food. They should have a hot white-light area of around 100-105 F to bask under, a warm side of the tank maybe in the low 90s, and a cooler area in the 80's or lower. That way, they can regulate their temp at will. At night, temps can go down to around the mid- to upper 60's, though if it gets lower than that, some supplemental heating with a ceramic heater (not a red heat lamp) might be required.

If you see your beardie with a black beard (only) that is a sign of aggression, stress, or illness, so that is something to look out for. It's not uncommon for me to take mine out of his cage and have him go from a pale tan to gray after a while, but that's easily solved with a "beardie snuggle". The little guy will climb up on me and I'll put a blanket over him to capture my body heat. He's usually out like a light after a little while, and when it's time to go back to the viv for the night, he's back to a comfy pale tan again.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Troyv2004":148mlwpy said:
Thanks! I didn't know that. Also, can I take her out to play with her, she is very playful in her tank.

By all means! The more you bond with them, the better. Out of tank time with little Otto is something I look forward to, and my wife just texted me saying he's "clingy", which means he's probably missing me since I'm away at a conference this week. They are smart enough to tell people apart, and not bragging or anything, but Ot loves me best. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom