bearded dragon and a pregnant woman

Discuss health questions, issues, problems, etc! For urgent issues please use the Beardie ER forum.

bearded dragon and a pregnant woman

Postby XavierCh » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:16 am

[TOPIC AUTO-LOCKED DUE TO INACTIVITY]

so my wife is pregnant and i have my bearded dragon and his tank in our bed room...is this ok or do i have to move him to a different location?
"Say Cheese spike"......No >_>
XavierCh
Hatchling Poster

Re: bearded dragon and a pregnant woman

Postby RandyMarsh » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:10 am

XavierCh wrote:so my wife is pregnant and i have my bearded dragon and his tank in our bed room...is this ok or do i have to move him to a different location?

I think the more important thing to do here is to ask your wife if she wants him moved?
Name: Franklin Reynolds
color: Marketed Leucistic, het for AWESOME
size: 430-something Grams
RandyMarsh
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby Fuzzyviper » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:46 pm

Him being in the room will be fine. Salmonella is a very minor risk with proper hygiene and handling practices. The only thing you might want to change is for you to take over all the reptile cleaning tasks or have her wear rubber gloves when cleaning the enclosure. Make sure she washes her hands well after handling him as well.
Fuzzyviper
Hatchling Poster

Postby XavierCh » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:52 pm

she loves him she doesnt mind...im just being extra cautious

but thanks for the advice i will be taking over all cleanups from now on...and will be more careful when handling him
"Say Cheese spike"......No >_>
XavierCh
Hatchling Poster

Postby AtlasStrike » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:01 pm

I don't know if you house your beardie on sand, but if you do I would suggest switching it out because if fecal matter dries out in it, the particles could become airborn. Normally, that probably wouldn't have any severe side effects for a healthy person if the viv is cleaned often enough, but pregnancy can do all kinds of strange things to the body and the immune system.

Congratulations, by the way. :D
AtlasStrike
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby CaptainVimes » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:29 am

There is always the fact that NOT ALL REPTILES carry salmonella.

Proven Fact.

However, unless you have had your beardie tested, you will never know, so it is always wide to practice caution.

Salmonella can be fatal in people of exceptionally weakened immune systems, so be VERY VERY careful when dealing with beardie, and then touching your wife.

I haven't checked if it can be passed to the foetus, but if you are sensible, you won't even need to worry. :)
CaptainVimes
Hatchling Poster

Return to Health