The Adventures of Walrus, Hyuna, Harley & Quinn!:December 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had scoured the internet for a bearded dragon that perked my interest. I stumbled upon some silkback beardies and thought they were interesting so I contacted a breeder in my area who had posted an ad in some classifieds I was browsing and waited to hear back.
After a while, I finally recieved a phone call from the breeder, who is from A & J dragons, saying that he had sold the silkback dragons that he had posted but that he had one more in a pet store in his area that he could pick up and show me. So, I got in my car and drove to meet him.

When he got there he seemed upset. He told me that the pet shop had not been taking care of his dragons properly and that he had some bad news.

Turns out that the pet store had housed him with another much larger bearded dragon and it had "nipped" the silky. Nipped is definitely an understatement. His little right arm lays to his side totally limp. It's got visible kinks and discoloration in some of his toes. He was very, very dry due to the fact that they had not soaked him or lotioned him the whole time he was there. I posted on the forums about his arm here : viewtopic.php?f=45&t=194141 If you guys have any suggestions on how to care for this, please stop by and give me some input.

The breeder was furious and took all his bearded dragons that he housed at that pet store. He told me that he did not feel right making me spend the amount we had previously agreed on if I liked the little guy, and that he'd give him to me next to nothing, just enough to pay for the gas he used driving there and back to his home. He also gave me his guarantee that if the little guy didn't make it that he'd give me another silky in his place because he felt so bad about the whole thing.

So, now I've got a poor little injured silky. He's already stolen my heart. I've yet to name the little guy. I'm gonna give it a little bit of time before I give him a name. Here's some pics!

Annalee

Juvie Member
Original Poster
His first full day home has gone well. The little guy has a ferocious appetite. While I fed him crickets outside his cage, I put his dish with greens in his tank. When I went to put him back after he had eaten 3 crickets, he practically jumped off my hand at his greens and chowed down.

Good news on his leg, he let me put his medicine on his leg without any fuss so I'm guessing it didn't cause any pain. He seemed to love being rubbed with lotion as well. Signs of hope.

This little guy really has my heart already. I should really figure out a name for him... I'll post back when I figure out the perfect one. <3

lexus465

Juvie Member
Poor little guy! I'm glad the breeder took all the dragons. Hope this little guy thrives in his new loving home!

Have you taken him to the vet for his leg? I'm wondering if it should be amputated? I know dogs usually do better after amputation.

He's adorable!

Annalee

Juvie Member
Original Poster
lexus465":27vzb2h0 said:
Poor little guy! I'm glad the breeder took all the dragons. Hope this little guy thrives in his new loving home!

Have you taken him to the vet for his leg? I'm wondering if it should be amputated? I know dogs usually do better after amputation.

He's adorable!

The breeder seems like a great guy who chose a terrible pet store. He texted me this morning to see how the little guy was doing even.

I haven't taken him to the vet yet. I've done a lot of research on these forums on how to care for it and I'm hoping a vet won't be necessary. However, if it seems to take a turn for the worse in any way, I will make an appointment for him.

Thank you! I'm wondering what his "happy" colors will be like. He's darker from stress right now. God, I feel bad calling him just him. I've gotta figure out a name.

Annalee

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I was cleaning his room and he kept eyeing my Deathstar so we had some fun. He really liked to sit in it.

I also thought I'd show you guys how he moves with his leg being the way it is.

^ if you click that picture, it'll bring you to the video.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
The poor little guy. I would name him something that says he's a survivor but I can't think of anything specific right now. I hope he survives for you. You are right, they crawl right into your hearts and won't leave, even when they aren't with us any more (personal experience)

I don't know if it's my brouser but when I clicked on the video pic nothing came up.

Annalee

Juvie Member
Original Poster
beardie parents":3jty2gne said:
The poor little guy. I would name him something that says he's a survivor but I can't think of anything specific right now. I hope he survives for you. You are right, they crawl right into your hearts and won't leave, even when they aren't with us any more (personal experience)

I don't know if it's my brouser but when I clicked on the video pic nothing came up.

I think I've decided on a name.... Walrus. X.X His skin's kind of wrinkly and I want to see him grow up big and strong like one. (I'm a weirdo)

I too had a dragon pass away and it was and still is heart breaking. This little guy is helping heal the wounds a little.

http://s1230.photobucket.com/user/Annalee262/media/VID_20130609_133839_zps5e741187.mp4.html
There's a direct link to the video.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Thanks for that link. I watched it and your baby moves pretty good. I'm sure she/he will be fine. It may take awhile as he was stressed at the pet store and the move into a new home he doesn't know. They all go through relocation stress. He's probably glad to get away from that "huge" beardie that he was housed with.

I will try to keep up with his progress, as you post new pics and info about him/her.

Annalee

Juvie Member
Original Poster
beardie parents":12lyn8yp said:
Thanks for that link. I watched it and your baby moves pretty good. I'm sure she/he will be fine. It may take awhile as he was stressed at the pet store and the move into a new home he doesn't know. They all go through relocation stress. He's probably glad to get away from that "huge" beardie that he was housed with.

I will try to keep up with his progress, as you post new pics and info about him/her.

With Walrus being so little and all, I haven't been able to sex him or her yet. I'm not sure if it's his skin being so dry that's making it's hard to tell too. I checked on him this morning and he's brightening up a bit.
I will definitely keep posting about him as I'll probably be raving about Walrus a lot.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to say something. I'm aware there's a lot of controversy on silkbacks and whether they should even exist and blah blah but in all honesty, he already exists and I'm giving him the best care that I can. Walrus will not be used for breeding. He is a pet that I love very much.

Thanks for the support guys!

He's so tiny and cute! Do silkies need special cream rubbed on them then? I've only had experience with spikies! I think it's great that you're taking on Walrus. I'm sure he will be huge in no time with you looking after him! :D

Annalee

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thebeardedlady":3oxc58ej said:
He's so tiny and cute! Do silkies need special cream rubbed on them then? I've only had experience with spikies! I think it's great that you're taking on Walrus. I'm sure he will be huge in no time with you looking after him! :D

I'm using Utterly Smooth cream. It was originally made for cows so a lot of silkie owners use it. It's so weird. My last beardie was a normal dragon and having a bearded dragon that feels like it has human skin... it's different. His skin feels like the skin on a human eyelid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom