Rocky - Papa Smurf's brother & the rest of the Rescues!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We finally have Rocky...! I am so excited and relieved to have this little guy in my home for some TLC and rehab time. Here is a back story for those of you who don't know:

Six months ago we took in a little blue rescue bearded dragon and named him Papa Smurf for his blueness, small size and grey beard. He was surrendered to the owner of our local reptile shop by two pre-teen girls in a cookie tin, unable to walk due to severe MBD, neglect and starvation. They tried to surrender both of their beardies, but one of them ran off into the woods and escaped. This was the first week of December 2011. The second beardie was found in a shed unexpectedly, 5 months after he disappeared and the girls surrendered him to the same shop. We got the call that Papa Smurf's long lost brother was found, and we were in disbelief, to be honest. Just blows my mind that a dragon can be lost outdoors all winter and survive. I know this is Florida but we have a wet and cold winter here, as we live in the Northern part.

We picked Rocky up today from the store, brought him home, and showed him to Sleepy Smurf. Smurf opened his eye, narrowed it and gave a tired, calculated stare as if to say, "When my nap's over ima get you." :lol: I whisked Rocky off to the bath, scrubbed him up, and let him explore the couch and living room floor.

He is alert and curious, but has severe mobility issues in his front legs, neck, shoulder and head. It will be interesting to watch him recover and gain strength. He walks with a very stiff, jerky movement, and looks to have some spasm or intermittent contracture of the right arm. I'm going to treat it as a vitamin B deficiency, because it's the easiest thing to rule out. Normal gut flora plays a key role in the synthesis of B vitamins, so I will be giving him liquid B vitamins and AcidolphiLiz, a probiotic that will increase the numbers of good gut flora, allowing the B vitamins to be synthesized and absorbed, and hopefully the spasms and contracture will stop. Wish me (and Rocky) luck! :D

The reptile shop has had him for the last month or so, and they have been doing a good job of putting weight on him, so he looks pretty good. He needs to gain muscle mass, and since he isn't malnourished, I will be giving him plenty of silkworms, since they are high in protein. They also have natural serrapeptase, an enzyme found in the silkworm, which they excrete to break down their cocoon when they become a moth. The serrapeptase breaks down inflamed tissue and helps with stiffness and pain. It is a natural anti-inflammatory that has been used in human medicine in Europe for the last 25+ years. It really helped Papa Smurf, so I am sure it will help Rocky.

Well, enough talking. Here is our newest boy, Rocky:

Here he is right when we got him home. Notice how his front legs are held close and almost underneath him. He has limited range of motion.
7475144796_ce21f43d9e.jpg

Here is a close up of his sweet face. The reptile shop really worked to get him to a healthy weight and he looks pretty good. :D
7475144078_43c0658696.jpg

" I close my eyes and pretend I am not sitting in water...me no likey."
7475126934_f2664d11b2.jpg

He finally did relax and begin to enjoy the warm water and my attention. I keep saying his name over and over so he can learn it.
He almost looks like Papa Smurf in this picture. :shock:
7475126166_7bbd15cfa5.jpg

King of the couch! It's uncanny how they settle in when they look around and see they are in a home and not the reptile shop. Papa did the same thing, but it took longer because Papa was so critical and sickly. Papa lived in a daze for several days before he seemed to notice his surroundings. At least Rocky is able to move a bit and explore.
7475128114_302574c841.jpg

I feels really good to have them both now, as I have felt like a piece of the story was left out, and we constantly talked about "the one that got away." I'm so glad to share the good news with all my friends here. :D

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I'm so glad to hear that you have Rocky & he looks great for being in the great outdoors for 5 mo! Amazing! I noticed the thick tail base right away & he sure has awesome colours, guess being in the sun all winter helped him alot. And that he was found at all is amazing! Glad to hear the pet shop took good care of him & now he'll have your great care to help him heal 100%. I can just imagine what Papa's greeting is going to be like, just like he is with Chief, I"m sure, open mouth, black beard & stomping, just to make it clear that HE'S the boss!

Hi Rocky, you're in a great place now, you'll see what great care you're going to get! :D :D :D
Deb

Menolly07

Juvie Member
Oh my gosh! He looks JUST like Papa! I mean, aside from the obvious differences. At least I think so. Wow... What an amazing story and a lucky little guy. Rocky like his start.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Deb, Papa isn't going to be impressed at all. I thought Rocky was missing part of his tail, too, for some reason. Now I can't remember where I got that information. It appears that Rocky ate the end of Papa's tail, and Papa never got a chance to return the favor. Rocky has his tail all the way to the tip, so that will be one way we can tell their butts apart :lol: and their faces are easy because of the jaw. Rocky definitely got the better end of the deal physically, but his walking is really bad. The reptile shop said he never moved around at all and stayed in the same place all the time. I put him on the floor and he was very eager to explore, but he had so much trouble.

Tomorrow we are doing 'musical vivs,' which is a lot of work because they have to all be very strictly disinfected, and lighting and timers changed and....makes me tired thinking about it. :p Scarlet is in a 30 g breeder, and she will get a new 40 g breeder that we got at PetCo during the $1/gallon sale. Papa is going to get Scarlet's 30 g breeder!! :blob5: He is going to have so much floor space and I am going to make him a very low hide - he will be so happy. Papa has a tendency to sleep a lot if allowed, so I have to make a hide that he can hide his head in but not his whole body. With his MBD history, I want him to be able to get UVB while sleeping, so I will have to get my pen and paper out and see what ideas I have. :) Then Rocky will get Smurf's 20 long with no furniture so he can be safe and not risk flipping over. It's just like when we first got Papa - we just had him in the tank on the floor until we knew he would be safe with a low basking ladder.

And yes, once I took pics and settled Rocky in, I was shocked at how their expressions are so similar. Rocky has a sweet face like Smurf.

Kalyn876

Sub-Adult Member
Welcome home Rocky!! You have found the best home ever!
Congrats you guys, the resemblance between brothers is uncanny.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Thanks, all of you! They really do look so much alike, but they act nothing alike. I have to put up a barrier between their vivs so they can't see each other during the day because Papa gets so infuriated at the sight of Rocky and then Rocky gets upset and tries to glass dance and gets very close to flipping himself over. They can only stand each other in small does. lol Hubby says Papa will never forgive me for bringing Rocky into his house. :shock: :?

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Menolly07":1pw5bbdt said:
I don't think Papa would forgive you for anything that he couldn't puff and strut for....

LOL!!! Perhaps! I tried to get Rocky and Papa as a united front against Chief yesterday and they couldn't handle it. Chief was in his viv and they were both outside of it looking in. I would get them both united against Chief for about 15 seconds and then one would turn on the other. *sigh* I kept having to redirect them...over and over. I think they hate each other more than they hate Chief. :p

Menolly07

Juvie Member
That's hilarious. Three boys. and a bunch of girls.. I'm curious if Rocky ends up being as much of a Casanova as Papa.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Nah, I can already tell Rocky has a different heart. It is going to be so hard to rehome him when he is rehabilitated. :? I can't even imagine....! I'm worried about how much function he will get back in that right arm, too. I'm hoping the problem is temporary, like Papa's paralysis was...we shall see!!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
You have a ways to go before you have to rehome him, he'll need lots of time to get back to as normal as he can. Look what you've done for Papa! He's not at all the same beardie you brought home in December. :D :D

Hercules

Hatchling Member
This is a pretty incredible story, just the fact that he survived outside for so long is crazy and then to be lucky enough to be brought into a home where he will be truly cared for and get nursed back to health. You are doing an amazing thing for your beardies!

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
sweetiepie9":3ui3phbi said:
You have a ways to go before you have to rehome him, he'll need lots of time to get back to as normal as he can. Look what you've done for Papa! He's not at all the same beardie you brought home in December. :D :D

Papa is certainly not the same beardie he was in December! My goodness he ran away from me today and went under one of our reptile baker's racks and gave me the stink eye...all because I wanted to feed him. We have started feeding more carnivore care/critical care/baby food mixture since he doesn't have parasites now and he should be eating more. He wasn't having any of it and I'm going to have to stop letting him get away with that bad behavior. It was cute when he was in such bad shape (and it's cute now I won't lie) but it isn't really good and hubby is right, it is time for Papa to gain a bit more weight now.

So between Papa fighting me and Rocky fighting me...well, I'm going to have to toughen up a little bit. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom