Tengu's great adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all!

So, now my BD is 16 months old and she is at 42cm long and 355g. We believe she is fully grown and would like some advice on feeding.

Currently she gets fresh salad every day and 20 L size crickets once a day. Should we now start decreasing the amount of crickets? She LOVES them of course and salad is like a "Do I have to eat it?"

So any advice at the age she is at etc?

Thank you in advance

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
What size is her tank now?
Mine are all in 40 gallon breeder tanks. I'm not very good at metric, so 3' long, 18" high and 18" deep. They're in their tanks for life, but they get outside time every day, well almost.

If you're getting a 75 gallon, then it's 4' long x 2' high by 2' deep. Always make sure the tank is at least 18" deep. If you get a 75 gallon you'll need to have higher wattage lights, including the ceramic heat emitter. And if you get the bigger tank, then have the ceramic heat emitter beside her on the cool side so she stays warmer. If you want to make sure the heal is in the middle, too, then you have to get 2 heat emitters. I'm just guessing as it's been awhile since I had a larger tank in my place. And because I leave the heat on in the living room, I've never had to deal with a ceramic heat emitter.

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hi there

Sorry for my late reply.

Her tank is a 51 gallon one.

Thinking of getting a bigger one but I guess she doesn't really need it if yours are 40 gallon and I cannot see her getting much bigger.

Since I have been moving the thermostat she is definitely better. Still not eating like she was but maybe she has a touch of brumation in her? (if you know what I mean) ate 12 crickets today which is better than before. She is having her vet check next month so it will be interesting to see if anything is wrong or not (of course I hope not) also the vet will be shocked at her size because last time she was 90g and now she is 536g LOL

Oh, any thoughts on how to get blueberry off the side of her mouth? :D it is stuck and I don't want to hurt her by picking it off.

Hope all is well :D

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Hi David,

Unfortunately, picking it off is all you can do, unless it comes off in the bath. Good luck, she just might have blue skin there for awhile. Wet the area down first, though, then you can pick it off with ease and it won't bother her. Or try a wet facecloth, see if that works.

And 51 gallon is fine but as long as the tank is 46 cm deep. Then she has enough room to turn around. A 75 gallon would be better but it's much higher, too. So if she's happy in what she has, then good. As long as she has outside time every day, that helps, too. That's why mine are ok in 40 gallon tanks, when I'm working they each get 1/2 hr most days, more on weekends. Right now, because 2 are brumating (Leo and Cierra, yes she's back in her hide) the 3 boys awake are getting 2 hours each daily. That will change once I'm back to work, though. But that won't be until January at the earliest. I'm just starting to walk without the air cast (boot) on my left foot, but baby steps as my left foot is very weak, as is my leg. I'm going to the gym on the stationary bike, but haven't been since Wed as got very tired & sore. So I'll go back on Monday. I see my physio on Tuesday for an assessment, see if I need any actual physio or if it's all exercising and walking. Will let you know.

The lack of appetite isn't unusual in the winter, it's part of the colder weather. It's known as winter slow down, but not full brumation.Full brumation is when they sleep deeply and don't eat, sometimes for months at a time. If you want to know more about it, check the brumation article under the Care Sheets and Articles at the top of the page. A friend of mine wrote it and I read it at the beginning of every winter to refresh myself. She had 3 dragons that all brumated differently. Dragons run by the barometer, so when weather changes, it affects them. I find mine get slower when it rains and when it gets cold, not as active as when it's sunny and warm. Right now it's become quite cold, +5C during the day & sunny, which is nice but up to -5 at night. So cold for my area of Canada.

Your vet is going to be quite surprised to see her so much bigger and so healthy. It's good to get a yearly check up & get a fecal sample checked for parasites. I get mine done every fall, before brumation, at least fecals. My vet knows me well enough now that I don't have to bring my dragons in anymore if I just want fecals checked. She only charges me for fecals that are positive for parasites, if they're all clear, no charge. I still try to get them all in yearly for a wellness check, but now that I'm on disability, have to wait until I'm back to work and at full salary again. So I'll try to get them all in by April.

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hey!

Thank you for that :)

She definitely sleeps earlier, now she is in her sleep place and looks very comfy LOL but it is only 17:39 here so too early. It is interesting to see them change during colder months, first time for me.

I gave Tengu "roam time" yesterday and she is so much more confident now. I LAUGHED SO HARD because she stood on the sofa and then walked off and sort of lept onto the pillow! It was so funny!!! It wasn't a jump it was a sort of throw myself on to the pillow and hope I stick :lol: :lol: :lol: then she did the same onto the arm f the sofa and realized it was high and then clawed her way down to the carpet and licked everything in sight! I let her out for 30 minutes only as it gets cold so I wanted to ask you, how long can they roam without a heat light type place?

Yes a parasite check was done last time as will it be done this time.

Glad to know about the ankle, I know what you mean by being so sore after exercise. My knee went very bad a few days ago and I have no idea why but WOW it hurts to walk and even straighten at the moment. I am hesitant about going to the clinic with it as it will just be a lot of visits for treatment. I have always had trouble with my knee so I know it just needs rest.

lets see!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Your knee probably needs the same treatment I had to use on my lower back. Heat for 20 min, off for 10, on for 20 min, on for 10. I did this for about 5 hours one day and the pain was gone & really hasn't come back. Alternately, it's 20 min warm heat, then 10 min cold (ice pack), do this for a few hours during the day, seems to work, but you might need to do this a few times a day for a few days. Otherwise it's time to see the doctor & get some testing done, CT scan, maybe MRI to find out what is really wrong with your knee.

My dragons are sleepy by 13:00 hours and Castiel, especially lays down & is asleep within an hour. It's strange but their lights go on at 5:30a, I never changed them when we put the time back an hour. So I'm thinking I should change that to 6:30a to see if they stay up longer. They all had baths today and all got at least 1 1/2 hrs out. I have a ramp with a UVB/heat bulb at the top". I'll have to take a picture and show you what I mean. So this means any of my dragons can be out for any amount of time and they have a place to warm up. My husband put this together years ago when we first started to take care of dragons and I've had it ever since.

I'm glad Tengu got out for a run around, you can do this every day, it's good for her to run around and jump from things to things. I gives her good use of her legs. You can also just put a gooseneck lamp out with a regular bulb, just for her to warm up. You don't have to go to the expense I do with the ramp that I have.

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Nice!

Knee wise heat seems to make it angry :roll: if no improvement in a week I will go to the doctor :cry:

This morning I tried to get the blueberry off her mouth and she was a very good girl :) she just stood there while I rubbed at it with wet cloth. It surprised me a little as I thought she would be out of there LOL i got bits off but main bit wont come off yet, I will keep doing it until it breaks down.

I do have a light that i attach to a bar that's across my window (Japanese thing, don't ask) and I guess she would understand to go to it if she feels cold. I want to make a cat scratch type thing for her with a hammock below the light, but I will wait until we move.

Today i will wait until she has done her business and then let her out for a roam. She seems to like doing her business when shes roaming!!

have a good night

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Yes, no-one comes out at my place unless they've done their poops for the day. I hate cleaning it off the carpet. I took a picture of the ramp:
11887-9010054003.jpg

So I guess your knee needs ice to help it. Definitely worth seeing your doctor about. Knee pain is awful, both of my knees hurt but for me it's arthritis and nothing much can be done. Exercise helps, but that's about it.

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
:D :lol: :lol: I can just imagine your dragons walking up that and basking like king of the hill!!!

Queen Tengu will like something like that for sure!! Thanks for showing that.

Now she is sleeping. She hides her head by the side of the rock while her body is sticking out enjoying the heat from the night light. Very cute how they know whats what!

Also she is getting better in the bath now for sure. She has a little huff and puff but now she lowers herself to water level and drinks some and then lets me pour water over her until she is ready to do her business and when she does its a quick clean up and wrap up in her towel. She sticks her head out as if to say "okay back to tank please" but without the please!

Talk soon

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
She's got such a great personality :D I'm glad she's getting better in the bath & that she's still doing her business there. Mine tend to do that, too, but Nathaniel tends to poop in his tank, then tries to run through it. Luckily I'm home and keep an eye on him, he's so full of energy, now that he's had his brumation, he thinks it's spring LOL

I'm going to go out today for a short errand with using the boot on my leg, just a crutch. Wish me luck! First time I"m attempting this. I'm going to the physio tomorrow so have alot of questions for her and want to tell her that I did try walking outside. Wish me luck! I'll let you know how it goes!

Everyone but Nathaniel is slow this am. Castiel is hiding in his hide, Cierra is very subdued, Leo ate a bit and is sleeping already and Gabriel is sleeping on his basking platform. So quiet morning, good time to get outside.

Talk soon for sure!

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Nathaniel sounds funny!!

Good luck with the ankle and I hope your walk went okay!

Have you ever noticed that when they go for their food and they miss it or it drops etc they don't bother with it.....? With Tengu at the beginning I fed her with wooden pincers to give her food. It built trust, and she does take from my hand but now of course she likes the pincers :D but if something like fruit slips off or she bites it and it falls she tends to think "ahh forget it" is that the same with most dragons or just my queen?

Also she seems to be basking under the cool lamp a lot lately. It is a constant 28 degrees while the actual basking lam is at 38 - 39 she does use the actual place after food or after bath but seems comfortable chillin under the 28 light. Such strange creatures aren't they!!! It is no surprise they don't get along together as they are so stubborn and independent and all have their own personality.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I think that's just part of winter slow down. My dragons are all pretty much done by 13:00, their lights go off at 15:00 and they're all sound asleep by then. I have Cierra and Gabriel asleep beside me on the bed, covered up. I'll grab them later and warm them up and then put them to bed.

And yes, my walk went very well. I parked quite far away from the store and walked back and forth. Then walked a bit to get the knee walker back to that store. My left calf is already filling in, so resting for now but may go to the gym later as they're open until 22:00. We'll see how I feel.

It was great to put the boot together and store it in my closet! No more boot, my foot is now strong enough, with a crutch, to walk outside. Inside I don't use a crutch anymore. I'm so pleased with myself!

And yes, you're right, they are very independent. Some dragons, though, mainly females get along fine. I have a friend who's dragons Rumba and Pumpkin mated (unkown to her) and Rumba had 2 clutches. One clutch died because the power went out and the temp in the incubator went too low. But she had 13 healthy babies. My friend kept 3 of the girls and they live together in an 8.5 m enclosure. They stay together, though, most of the time in their enclosure and even outside. The mom passed away recently, so my friend is so glad she has her 3 girls. The other 10 were given to friends when the babies were 3 months old. They all keep in touch and made up a Facebook site to show off the siblings. It's quite a wonderful story. And I can't get over how the 3 girls get along, they're 6 or 7 mo old now and still get along great. I've never seen anything like it. My friend still has a couple of free tanks, in case something happens that they don't get along, but so far, so good.

I did find Cierra and Gabriel sitting together on the ramp yesterday, that really surprised me.
11887-1729211668.jpg

So here's what my boys do every morning, black beard, bob and stomp their feet (especially Nathaniel, he's all juiced up lately)
Nathaniel:
11887-2951281392.jpg
Full shot of his body when he black beards, goes down his arms, too.
11887-8332435097.jpg

Castiel:
11887-6234607436.jpg

Gabriel:
11887-3712098249.jpg

It's a black beard fest, I tell you!

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Firstly............. LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: at those pictures!!! I have never seen such a BLACK beard!!!! Whats that about???? It almost looks like hes been for a walk up a chimney! If Tengu did that I would run away!!

So why stomping and black beard? To get out? shocked!!!

You said about your lights out at 15:00? I read they need 12-14 hours of uva uvb so for example I out her light and uva/b lights on at 07:30am and off at 20:00pm that's okay right? She is in the habit as at around 19:30pm she starts going to her sleep place and gets comfy. Should I turn the light off then?

Glad your walk went well :D must feel great!!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I always do them less in the winter, then more in the spring and summer and early fall. In the winter they go on at 5:30a, then off at 15:00, in the spring and summer I move the time up in the morning to 6:30a and then they lights go off at 17:30p. I've never put the lights on for 12-14 hours. When she's sleeping in the late afternoon, you can turn the lights off. They sleep more in the winter, so I don't see the point of leaving the light on and using up the UVB when they're not awake to absorb it. I also figure 10 hours are more than enough for adults, but that's just me. The babies seem to need longer with their lights as they're growing. Once they're over 2 years old, I reduce the amount of UVB because they're not growing anymore. But that's just me. I've been doing this for 9 years and have learned how their cycles work. Plus in the summer it gets very hot over here in my small apartment, so having the lights go off at 17:30p, cools them off. they can stay up longer, it's very light here in the summer, but the lights off is better for them so they don't get too hot.

Males are like that. They show dominance by the black bearding, bobbing and stomping, plus I have a female, so they're always showing off to her, trying to get her attention. It's all part of their makeup. I love the way they show themselves off, though, it's so funny to watch. One day I'll make a video up of Nathaniel and Castiel doing their showing off when Cierra is out. It's a good show LOL. I live in a small space and have 4 males, so this is how they show off. They even bob at me once in awhile, guess to let me know who's boss :lol: I think they think of me as a bit white lizard who doesn't want to eat them. It's hard to know how they perceive us.

If you get a male, be prepared for this kind of display often. They only have two things on their minds, dominance and mating. They tend to slow down in the fall, but once they've gotten past winter slow down, they will always display like this when they're young. My Leo doesn't display much anymore, he's 8 years old now. He just looks at them like they're nuts, but he used to display like Nathaniel for a few years when I first got him. He slowed down a couple of years ago but can still show off a bit black beard when he wants to. He's brumating right now, a few days at a time, then bath, poop and food. I won't let him sleep for long periods of time because he was so sick not that long ago and my vet and I agreed that 3 days is the most he'll sleep before he's up for at least a day. Then he can sleep again. He'll do this cycle for a couple of months, then he'll be up.

I had to rest a good part of the afternoon and had a nap in the evening, which is why I'm up so late for my time, almost 2a now. But it's going to be like this as I recover. My left leg is already feeling firmer, but it still has a long way to go before it's normal again. But I'm glad to have that boot off me and be wearing my new shoes that my sister gave me for my birthday last week. I have to use a crutch to help me, as I can only walk on my own at home, even then I have a crutch waiting in case I need it.

So I'll talk to you soon!

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you for all that!

Really interesting to know all of that. I will put her lights out then when she decides to sleep. I will keep them on at 07:00 - 07:30 and off around 18:00 during the colder months.

Today has been fun :) I gave her a bath and she did her business and set up a light in the living room. She is currently walking around exploring and as I was writing this she crawled over my foot and gave me a fright! LOL she did it another two times , its kinda cute :) I am waiting to see if she goes back to light source but currently she is enjoying the walkabout. I just heard her scratching the floor actually I hope that isn't a sign of false pregnancy!!

Males sound funny!!!!! Dominance and mating :lol: :lol: so human like! You have to make up a video of that I would love to see that :) I still cannot believe how BLACK they were!! All the times I thought Tengu was black bearding me and she wasn't at all!! :lol:

Great new on the ankle. My knee seems to be getting better. I notice riding my bicycle helps as it is sort of working it but no pressure as such. Lets see!

Talk soon

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I hope the bike works on your knee, too, it does wonders with mine. Have to get to the gym twice a week, that's what my physio said, also said I have to stop being lazy and do my exercises and my left foot isn't as supple as it should be, which is my fault. She suggested a cane but with the bad shoulders I have, a cane isn't what I want, told her as soon as I can walk without aid, the crutches won't be used and I only use the crutch when I'm outside for support, don't use it at home at all. So have to stop being lazy and do my exercises twice a day. See her again on Dec 22 to make sure I'm progressing properly.

I'm so glad Tengu is getting out and about, it's so important for them. Only my 3 youngest boys were up today, Cierra has decided to get back into her hide and sleep and Leo is sleeping, too, so they each had more than 2 hours outside time today. Then Gabriel came to snuggle with me while the other two went to sleep.

Talk to you soon!
And I'll see about that video.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom