my 3year old female bearedy is unwell

Status
Not open for further replies.

chez61

:cry: she stoped eatting 4 week ago she as lost weight and is very lethargic but she is drinking when put in the bath can any one help me to make her better any idea what is wrong with her

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
Hello and welcome to the site.
I am sorry your beardie is not feeling well.
Can you give us some info about your setup, maybe someone may see something to change that may make your beardie feel better.

dreshany

Hatchling Member
Maybe a trip to the vet is in order and a fecal to check for parasites.
Could it possibly be brumation? Is she losing weight?

Yes, It would be good to review your set up, especially the substrate you use, type of UV lights, Temps, etc.

When was the last time she pooped? Possible impaction?

K9KidsLove

Sub-Adult Member
Hi...Welcome to the forum.
I am going to give you a list of questions concerning your husbandry to see if we can pinpoint something that might need to be changed.

How long have you had her?
What size is her enclosure?
What substrate is on her floor?
What brand & number is her UVB? Is it a coil, compact, long fluorescent tube or MVB (Mercury Vapor Bulb)?
How old is her UVB?
How close can she get to her UVB?
What is the watts of her heat/basking bulb?
What is the temp of her basking spot?
What is the temp of her cool end?
What do you use to take temps? stick on, temp gun, digital with a probe on the end of a wire?
Being specific...what do you offer her to eat, and how often?
Do you gutload her live food?
What brand of calcium & of vitamins do you use & how often?
How often does she poop? What does it look like?
Is she housed with another dragon?
How often do you soak her & for how long?
Have you taken a poop sample of poop to a reptile vet for a fecal to check for parasites, coccicia, bacteria, etc.?

Good luck
Patsy

spud

How long have you had her?........about a year but she's 3
What size is her enclosure?.......3ft long 1ft high 1 & 1/2 ft depth
What substrate is on her floor?......slate and childs play-sand
What brand & number is her UVB? Is it a coil, compact, long fluorescent tube or MVB (Mercury Vapor Bulb)?......it's a fluorescent i'll check on the make & number
How old is her UVB?......about a month
How close can she get to her UVB?........roughly 10"
What is the watts of her heat/basking bulb?...........100 watts
What is the temp of her basking spot?...........103
What is the temp of her cool end?.......89
What do you use to take temps? stick on, temp gun, digital with a probe on the end of a wire?..............digital with a probe on the end of a wire
Being specific...what do you offer her to eat, and how often?.....hoppers and mealworms everyday now and cabbage,spring greens also everyday
Do you gutload her live food?......they are fed twice a week on cabbage etc..
How often does she poop? What does it look like?......at present she doesnt,but she used to go most days and it looked the same as my others with a nice white bit
Is she housed with another dragon?...........not originally no but she did have a spell with another female to try and cheer her up (she gets lonely
How often do you soak her & for how long?..........every day for 15 mins
Have you taken a poop sample of poop to a reptile vet for a fecal to check for parasites, coccicia, bacteria, etc.?............our vets wont do it and theres nowhere near here that we can get to.

i'm answering these on behalf on chez as she lives with me, and i never knew she posted this as i've posted a similar question in the health section
apologies

K9KidsLove

Sub-Adult Member
spud":69802 said:
***She needs a larger enclosure. The smallest should be 4' x 18" x18". And of course bigger is better. How long is she?

What brand & number is her UVB? Is it a coil, compact, long fluorescent tube or MVB (Mercury Vapor Bulb)?......it's a fluorescent i'll check on the make & number
***please do check as there are many bulbs that cause problems

***She needs to be able to get 6"-8" from her fluorescent tube. If she is farther away she isn't getting enough UVB rays.

***This may be too much. I use 100 watts in a 40 gallon breeder & 55 gal tanks

***good, if you are taking the temps correctly

***This temp needs to be a little cooler. Can you move the heat light farther from the cool end? Is it right beside the UVB?

What do you use to take temps? stick on, temp gun, digital with a probe on the end of a wire?..............digital with a probe on the end of a wire
***Are you leaving the probe on the basking spot 45 minutes to get a correct reading?

Being specific...what do you offer her to eat, and how often?.....hoppers and mealworms everyday now and cabbage,spring greens also everyday
***Mealworms aren't recommended because they have very little nutrition. They are very fatty & have a hard chitin outer layer that sometimes causes impaction. Cabbage should be given very seldom as it causes binding of their calcium. Collard, dandelion, mustard, & turnip greens are a better choice. Squashes are also good...summer, zucchini, butternut (Peel this one). Also fresh pumpkin when in season, or a teaspoon or 2 of 100% canned pumpkin (In pie fillings section of store) can be given once a month to help keep parasites flushed out.

***You should gutload your live food for at least a day before each time you feed. So if you feed daily, keep food & cricket quencher or carrots or potatoes in there for them to eat & drink all the time. I go to the farm store & get a bag of chick starter for feeding crickets (a pound will last a long time & is about $2)

***You didn't answer this one

How often does she poop? What does it look like?......at present she doesnt,but she used to go most days and it looked the same as my others with a nice white bit
***Many adults go only once or twice a week. Try giving her some babyfood applesauce or some 100% canned pumpkin to get her going again. Once she is back eating better she will poop more.

Is she housed with another dragon?...........not originally no but she did have a spell with another female to try and cheer her up (she gets lonely
***So can she see the other female now? If so, move one of them so they can't see each other. They don't get lonely for other dragons, just for more attention from their human slaves! They feel threatened by others, especially if they have not grown up together.

***Good. Is the water up to her armpits?

Have you taken a fresh sample of poop to a reptile vet for a fecal to check for parasites, coccicia, bacteria, etc.?............our vets wont do it and theres nowhere near here that we can get to.
***Even a puppy/kitty vet can do a fecal. They would have to either call a reptile vet or check in one of their books to get a dose for medication as it is dosed different from mammals. Just ask him to do the fecal. It will be rated on a scale of 1 - 4, with 3 & 4 needing medication. Panacur is used for worms & Albon is used for coccidia... the same meds as mammals. You can get her weight and come on here and ask Drache613 (Tracie) for a dose. However I would make the changes suggested and give her some pumpkin first before bothering with a non reptile vet.

i'm answering these on behalf on chez as she lives with me, and i never knew she posted this as i've posted a similar question in the health section
apologies
***No problem...you might get some different suggestions there that I may have forgotten.

Let us know how she is doing
Good luck
Patsy

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Just a few questions, is your basking light directly beside the UVB light for maximal brightness & to protect the eyes?
Are you using calcium & if so how often? At her age of 3 she still does need calcium 3 times per week. Has she ever laid infertile eggs that you know of?
How much weight has she lost, approximately & do her eyes appear sunken in or are they still bright & raised? What about her fatpads on top of her head, are they raised or sunken in?

Tracie

spud

Drache613":c227a said:
Hello,

Just a few questions, is your basking light directly beside the UVB light for maximal brightness & to protect the eyes?
Are you using calcium & if so how often? At her age of 3 she still does need calcium 3 times per week. Has she ever laid infertile eggs that you know of?
How much weight has she lost, approximately & do her eyes appear sunken in or are they still bright & raised? What about her fatpads on top of her head, are they raised or sunken in?

Tracie

yes the basking light and UV are about 5" apart on the roof of her cage.
well as she's not eating she's not getting any calci powder atm apart from what i put in her bath water which she drinks (hoping this is beneficial) but everything food wise i offer her has been dusted.
i can't say for sure how much she has lost but i'd say around 100grams her belly looks plump still not withdrawn in anyway it's just her top half so to speak ie. the ribs and base of tail.
her eyes aren't sunken and as much as they ever were are still bright and raised, although her fat pads are diminishing and have flattened slightly.

spud

K9KidsLove":f4544 said:
spud":f4544 said:
***She needs a larger enclosure. The smallest should be 4' x 18" x18". And of course bigger is better. How long is she?...

***please do check as there are many bulbs that cause problems

***She needs to be able to get 6"-8" from her fluorescent tube. If she is farther away she isn't getting enough UVB rays.

***This may be too much. I use 100 watts in a 40 gallon breeder & 55 gal tanks

***good, if you are taking the temps correctly

***This temp needs to be a little cooler. Can you move the heat light farther from the cool end? Is it right beside the UVB?

***Are you leaving the probe on the basking spot 45 minutes to get a correct reading?

***Mealworms aren't recommended because they have very little nutrition. They are very fatty & have a hard chitin outer layer that sometimes causes impaction. Cabbage should be given very seldom as it causes binding of their calcium. Collard, dandelion, mustard, & turnip greens are a better choice. Squashes are also good...summer, zucchini, butternut (Peel this one). Also fresh pumpkin when in season, or a teaspoon or 2 of 100% canned pumpkin (In pie fillings section of store) can be given once a month to help keep parasites flushed out.

***You should gutload your live food for at least a day before each time you feed. So if you feed daily, keep food & cricket quencher or carrots or potatoes in there for them to eat & drink all the time. I go to the farm store & get a bag of chick starter for feeding crickets (a pound will last a long time & is about $2)

***You didn't answer this one

***Many adults go only once or twice a week. Try giving her some babyfood applesauce or some 100% canned pumpkin to get her going again. Once she is back eating better she will poop more.

***So can she see the other female now? If so, move one of them so they can't see each other. They don't get lonely for other dragons, just for more attention from their human slaves! They feel threatened by others, especially if they have not grown up together.

***Good. Is the water up to her armpits?

Have you taken a fresh sample of poop to a reptile vet for a fecal to check for parasites, coccicia, bacteria, etc.?............our vets wont do it and theres nowhere near here that we can get to.
***Even a puppy/kitty vet can do a fecal. They would have to either call a reptile vet or check in one of their books to get a dose for medication as it is dosed different from mammals. Just ask him to do the fecal. It will be rated on a scale of 1 - 4, with 3 & 4 needing medication. Panacur is used for worms & Albon is used for coccidia... the same meds as mammals. You can get her weight and come on here and ask Drache613 (Tracie) for a dose. However I would make the changes suggested and give her some pumpkin first before bothering with a non reptile vet.

apologies
***No problem...you might get some different suggestions there that I may have forgotten.

Let us know how she is doing
Good luck
Patsy

she's 18-19" long
The UVB light is a Reptisun (the only one our local pet shop stocks) and its made esp. for beardies apparently
right i'll move the light down more then for her
sorry the calci-powder is made by Euro Rep and called Repton
alas even when she was well she wouldn't touch squash for love nor money but i'll peservere with that one.(and being in the UK those other ones unless they go by a different name i cant hold of here.)i'll try the baby apple sauce and see if i can get tinned pumpkins anywhere.
yeah the probe was in there all day
thats what i thought as well it was human company she wanted but that never worked once she saw the other female she seemed to perk up a bit as if she was pleased to see her and the other one was the same,(they've known each other for over a year now)
yeah the water is well over her armpits as she loves to lay down and soak like a human would.
right i'll implement the changes you suggested and then if no joy i'll go down the vets and shout a bit
(if she doesnt take the apple sauce or pumpkin would you recommend syringe feeding her it? or forcing her to?

many thanks for all your help.

K9KidsLove

Sub-Adult Member
Hi...Her tank really is too small. She would have to bend her body in order to turn around. Her tank or enclosure needs to be at least 18" wide...24" would be better.

Is the ReptiSun you have a compact, coil or fluorescent tube?
I am hoping someone comes on to tell you the brand of UK bulb that is good. I just can't remember. It is a 12% fluorescent.

You can thin the canned 100% pumpkin or squash & syringe it to her. It might take some effort. Try just putting some on her nose first. If she doesn't lick it, syringe it to her. I hold mine on my chest with my left hand holding the head. Push the syringe (no needle)into the side of the lips carefully but firmly. Push a little food in at a time, leaving the syringe in the mouth.

Good luck
Patsy

spud

right she's now in the deepest viv i have presently which is a little over 18" deep,
i tried her on the baby food as suggested above using a syringe i didnt have to force her as such she wasn't to keen the syringe at first but once she got a taste for the baby food she loved it and let me feed her no problem and she ate a whole syringe full and was in comparison to recently alot more active for about 30-45 mins.
Is it possible that she could have tooth/jaw ache in some way which is whats putting her off chewing her food?
and for how long do you advise I keep her on the baby food? does it have any detrimental effects after a while or could she theoretically live off it permanantly?
and would blending up some pinkies be of any benefit to her at all?

sorry for all the questions but she ate for the first time yesterday and i've finally got a bit of hope to hold onto many thanks to everyone whos answered me

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How old is your Reptisun 10 flourescent tube bulb? If it is older than 5-6 months, then it is time to replace it as the UVB emissions do decline with age.
As for the babyfood, you can have them on it for awhile to support them while they are not feeling well. They will easily get spoiled so it will be a little hard to get them off of it. While you are feeding her with babyfood, add some powdered calcium in with it. Unless she drinks from the bath, she most likely is not getting much benefit from soaking in calcium. She needs oral calcium.
I think if she is not improving a decent amount that I would get a fecal done & possibly a bloodtest to rule kidney & liver problems out.
That is great you got her to eat though, & that she appeared to have more energy afterwards, too.
You can look for bee pollen or royal jelly both of which help with appetite stimulation. You should be able to find them at a health food store or a pharmacy.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom