Dragon - possibly dying - Please help - vet yesterday but..

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizbee

Juvie Member
Thats good you see some improvement! Keep up the great work. HOpe hubby and daughter are getting better too.
I don't have a store I just sell stuff on a regular basis.

tatum123

Original Poster
Hello everyone,
I am very sad - I had to have Carni put down early this morning.
I had recently taken him to the vet several more times, he had been given batril shots, calcium shots, and batril to take at home and eye ointment to kee his eyes from being stuck shut.
He had become so bad off that for the last two days, he had not lifted his head or even opened his eyes.
Not even during the warm baths.

My daughter and I figured out that we got him in 2001 we think, this would make him a reasonably old senior.
I think he must have had a tumor as the vet suggested, and it was just painful to watch him suffer and just lie there.
Both the vet and I agreed that it was the most humane thing for the poor little guy.

I held the little guy as he took his last breath.
I sure do feel guilty, and very sad today.

I wanted to thank everyone for their help.
His last days were made more comfortable by the help I had found here.
He has been a part of our family for so long, I sure will miss his being there.

I am going to find a rescue group to donate the tank and supplies.

RT

tatum123

Original Poster
Yes, this is how I felt.
Back when I used to do rescue, at first I wanted to save everything, no matter what.
Once I took this little cat that had been hit by a car and left on our street to die - to the vet, she had some spinal injury.
I asked the vet (whom I loved dearly) "can we save her"?
Her response to me was - Well, we can almost always save most of the animals that we see, but this cat may never be able to go to the bathroom by herself, and would probably always be dragging her back legs, so the question becomes, are you really doing this for YOU or are you doing this for the ANIMAL?
When does the the legnth of an animals life outweigh the quality of life?
You need to think of what is really the most humane thing for the animal.

I suddenly understood (I was a young adult probably 21) - and that is when I got it

I do not want to see anything suffer, and Carni clearly was not going to pull out of this.
I did not want to let him just sit there until his body started shutting down due to renal failure and such.
It was just his time.

I am VERY SAD today.
My family misses him, but it is not the same as being the one taking him to the vet and having to hold him while he expires.
Then I buried him in a spot near my garden - this was a bit tougher than I thought it would be.
It is really emotionally hard.

Anway, thanks for everything - to everyone here.
I am glad you all are here to help and support dragon owners.
You all make a huge difference.

Rhonda ~

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Im so sorry for your loss.
Your story put a huge lump in my throat.
You must be very proud that you did the right thing for your little one.
My heart goes out to you.

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
I'm so sorry. You did everything you possibly could, but you are right - sometimes what's right for the animal is what's hardest for us. It takes a lot of love and courage to make the right decision, like you did. I'm thinking of you.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I am so sorry. I know you didn't want him to go, but in the end, you did the right thing.
*hugs*

tatum123

Original Poster
Hello everyone,
Thanks for the support.
I cannot even express how sad I am.
I have just spent the whole day alone, sitting in my bedroom, working online, and feeling blue.
Every time I see his tank, it makes me feel like crying.
I am so used to taking care of him - now the tank is just empty and the lights are off.
I just could not bring myself to take it all apart today.

I am just plain depressed about the whole thing.
I know he is better off, but that does not make you miss the little guy any less.

It really is like loosing a family member. It makes me think of how bad it is going to be when it is time to put down our German Shepherd.
She is at least 12 years old, possibly older - she was adopted as an adult dog from a German Shepherd rescue group,she had been abused and was considered a older adult dog when we adopted her. Her papers said 4 years old.
We have had her since 2000. She was the first of our three rescue dogs.
Her breathing is becoming more and more labored as she has become older.
I know her time is not so very far away.

As for Carni, I know it was the right thing to do, and I am not sad that I had to put him down, I am sad that he had such a rough time at the end.
Ya know, we all want to think that when it is time for something to expire, that the passing will be painless and easy.
Sadly, that is just not how things work.
Why would something expire at all if its health were not failing.

No matter how you slice it, it is not pretty.
I often think of how cruel life can be - I guess I am one of those ones who thinks far too much on the matter, because when I see a fire in California, I always think of the animals there, or when I see a squirrel that has been hit by a car, I think of the babies that she may have left in the nest...
Just recently I saw a couple of teen guys in a little truck hit a squirrel on the street next to our house and yell wooohhhooooo.... (cruel)

I still have nightmares about a raccoon that I saw hit once - but it did not die instantly.
It was horriffic to me.

Anway - I am sure this will be with me for a very long time.
I will be ok, but to me it is just one more of those things that I see as the cruel reality of life as we know it.

Sad..

Rhonda

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
tatum123":8f288 said:
Ya know, we all want to think that when it is time for something to expire, that the passing will be painless and easy.
Sadly, that is just not how things work.
If the passing of our pets were painless and easy, then they didn't mean that much to us. The reason why we hurt emotionally is because we loved them and accepted them as a part of the human family. It's ok to grieve over the loss of our pets - it's perfectly natural.
tatum123":8f288 said:
I often think of how cruel life can be - I guess I am one of those ones who thinks far too much on the matter, because when I see a fire in California, I always think of the animals there, or when I see a squirrel that has been hit by a car, I think of the babies that she may have left in the nest...
I know exactly how you feel. I'm the same way.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh I am so sorry about your boy! That is so devastating I know. At least you were there with him, when he passed & he knew you were there, too. :cry: I am very sad for you & your family.
I hope that you will be able to find peace, but only in time will that happen. We are here if you need us.

Tracie

luvthydragon

Juvie Member
Just read through your story and now I'm weeping like a little girl :cry: It is clear how much you loved your dragon and all your pets. Carni was lucky to have you. I am so very sorry for your loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom