Silk worms

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
ReptilianArts has silk worms again if any one is looking - I just ordered 40 of them for $37.95 that is w/ shipping and food in the cup
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ouch that seems like a high price lol.

I guess I'm just used to buying eggs and raising them myself. Even with buying bulk food for them I feel I can get easily over 500 for that price once food is factored in.

You might look into that karrie.

Or maybe I should look into selling worms for a dollar each lol.

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Per worm price is the main reason ZaRDoZ has been epicurily (epicureanally? Are those even words? I can't find them. :oops: ) challenged.
He ain't never et 'em, and ain't likely to at those kinds of prices. :lol:

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
That looks interesting. Does anyone know if you have to remove the frass that builds up in the cup?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I thought that was good but what do I know I just feed them I have smalls now that I got I can't feed too little came from coastal silkworms- I clean cup out
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
DorgEndo":foheoxs9 said:
That looks interesting. Does anyone know if you have to remove the frass that builds up in the cup?
You should store them like hornworm cups. Upside down so the frass falls to the bottom (lid) and then remove lid and dump the frass.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
KarrieRee":27tdoo1c said:
I thought that was good but what do I know I just feed them I have smalls now that I got I can't feed too little came from coastal silkworms- I clean cup out
Karrie
Well I suppose its decent for live worms in this market. Live are hard to come by lately it seems. Idk why mulberryfarms isnt producing as many live as they used to.

I used to be able to buy live from them super cheap. Now they seem to always be out.

When they are in stock, 25 large worms in a cup are 6 or 7 bucks.

-Brandon

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Claudiusx":2wyg417b said:
You should store them like hornworm cups. Upside down so the frass falls to the bottom (lid) and then remove lid and dump the frass.

-Brandon
Thank you. I would have placed the cup food side down, it is how the pictures on the website look, the airholes are on the lid.

There used to be a place that sold live silk worms where I am for about $1.75 each. They no longer carry. A buck each seems like a decent deal.

yanchus17

Does anyone have some DIY instructions/pictures or tutorials on set up for silkworms or hornworms? Do you normally buy their food when you buy the worms or do you purchase and prepare the food yourself kind of thing?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
DorgEndo":38ox4rqx said:
YES get rid of it, it's high in moisture and will go moldy , white and yellow mold will kill your silkworms ( every one of them in no time flat ).
Key to keeping silkworm is getting rid of their poo and any dead worms and uneaten food FAST ( at least daily ).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
yanchus17":1c3nnr7j said:
How many of the silkworms should you give to an 18 month old beardie, and how often? Thanks!

I'd go with one large silkworm (maybe two) per day.

A large silkworm is big meal.

fyi
A medium sized silkworm will be about 2in long and is a lot of protein cf a medium sized cricket

A 30mm long silkworm is 0.5g = 2-3 medium crickets (12x MED = 3g)
A 40mm long silkworm is 1.3g = 5-6 medium crickets
a 2 inch long silkworm is 1.8g
a large silkworm about 3in is 2.3g = 8 - 10 medium crickets

yanchus17

Thanks for the reply. For an 18 month old, should I be giving feeders every 2-3 times a week and salads every day? Would that be too much protein if I gave silkworms every day?Appreciate the help, Im still learning lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom