Lost teeth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mflav

Hello was wondering if it’s normal to loose teeth? Oscar is about 10mon old and I noticed today a lot of teeth are gone. Not sure about other side can’t see.
106350-7120319162.jpg

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
I find conflicting information.

From: Do Bearded Dragons Have Teeth? (The Surprising Truth)
A Bearded Dragons teeth are primarily for feeding. The teeth at the front are used to grip and hold insects and plantation such as vegetables if needed.

These front teeth actually have the ability to fall out and re-grow so if you notice one missing it’s not always as an instant cause for concern.

From: Understanding Reptile Dental Anatomy: Clinical Applications
Chameleons and agamid lizards, such as bearded dragons and water dragons, possess acrodont dentition.

Acrodont teeth are easily lost and are not replaced. Instead as teeth wear, the biting surface eventually becomes the bone itself.
And from the Journal of Herpetological Medicine and Surgery
Husbandry, Diseases, and Veterinary Care of the Bearded Dragon (Pogona vitticeps)
Bearded dragons belong to the family Agamidae. Agamids are the fourth largest family of lizards, with over 300 species spread throughout Africa, Asia, and Australia (Rogner, 1997). Bearded dragons possess round pupils, fleshy tongues, and acrodont dentition and are not capable of caudal autotomy (Raftery, 2004). Acrodont teeth are ankylosed to bone and are not replaced if damaged (Fig. 1). The natural habitat of bearded dragons consists of xeric woodlands. In the wild, bearded dragons consume arthropods, worms, small rodents, lizards, greens, fruits, and flowers.

i1529-9651-22-3-117-f01.gif

Figure 1.Acrodont dentition is characterized by fusion of the teeth to the crests of the maxillae and mandibles.
I find further articles supporting either POV; the former being articles about BDs as pets--the latter being more scholarly via Google Scholar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom