Spike 2 dying... Same symptoms as #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdm

I am sorry about what is happening. I read this thread and had to chime in as i went through something similar with 2 dragons, both babies.

Same symptoms, both going from just fine to death within 12-20 hours. Mouth open, gasping for air etc. Poor things and very frustrating feeling since you just don't know what to do.

The first one was basically a case of URI due to my fault of hydrating him too much since that's what people say you have to do :roll: Nope. They will inhale water or it will get in their ears and eventually end up trapped inside their bodies and few days later they will likely perish. As such at this point i have to say to never soak babies/young juvies unless you really know what you are doing, which as a new owner, you wouldn't know - just like i didnt. You can read all about it but chances are you will mess it up and get water in their system where it isn't supposed to be.

The 2nd one passed out due to dehydration (irony). Many people say babies need high temps to digest but you will just bake them with anything above say 95D basking (in my experience and im no expert on that so take it for what it is). It was not unusual for the humidity to drop to low 20% once the lights came on due to the already low humidity in the house. Dragon had a water dish so i figure it would do its thing. Wrong again. They are in fact quite stupid, especially when young. They will likely not drink still water or even notice it even if it is in front of their noses. The more they eat the faster they will dehydrate. About 2 weeks in my care, dragon 2 had breakfast one typical day, and by midday he was flat on the bottom of the tank breathing heavy. By the end of the day his tail was sunken in and so were the eyeballs. He didn't make it past the night. Back then i didn't know the signs to dehydration so i figured feeding him was what was needed - but i was making it all worse. (as for the signs - closing eyes, lethargic and end of the tail turning dark, base of tail shrinking, collarbone/pelvis exposed. wrinkled skin is the last stage imo and by then its too late to recover)

You have to teach them to drink, and when young they still might refuse to do so - so feed them moist items and not that many so their system doesn't send all their water in their gut to digest the food. Back to the water, if you are lucky bring him to the water dish and stir the water with your finger - that will get his attention and he should start drinking. If that doesn't work, stir water and flick some on him and around him. That usually gets him to chase the water and drink it. You do this a few times until he figures it out. Remember the younger they are the less they will care for the water. Also dragons are reactive not proactive creatures. They will not drink until basically dehydrated pretty bad. If they are thirsty they will just chill and brush it off. Once they get to critical then they will seek water out, assuming you've taught them or get their attention. A waterfall is a great reminder since the water is always moving. Misting and running droplets on the glass are also good attention getters.

Because of these intricates i've figured that the older the dragon the easier they are to deal with since they have likely figured out how to stay alive by now. After my 2 early failures i gave it another go with an older one (5 months old or so) and it went much better. Easier to get him to drink and he didnt shrink and dehydrate within the hour like hatchlings do. Then i got another one and both have been doing great for a long time now. Picked a 3rd one, adult, recently as well - awesome leatherback. A lot of breeders like to push babies because it maximizes their profits and clears space for new clutches and perhaps because a lot of people like to see their pets grow. However unless you know what you are doing, you will probably perish at least your first baby. They are more fiddly to raise than many say. So get older ones, perhaps even sub adults. The species is friendly and docile enough so you do not have to start them off young in order to get them used to you!

Good luck!

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
I'm sorry, but a 95 degree basking temp for a baby is not good, they will not thrive and they will not digest properly. That low temperature is not advised and I feel the need to say that outright with no hesitation. Please keep your babies at the proper recommended temps.

Yes the hydration issue is difficult with small babies, and that is why I will repeatedly and continuously come into threads like this and reiterate and advise that small babies are not a good first dragon, and are not for the inexperienced owner.

You absolutely cannot experiment with a little baby beardie. You can't get one and start learning how to care for them. You don't have time, the dragon will deteriorate and suffer by the time you think you have it figured out.

I did not want to come into this thread again, as a previous poster brought up that some of our posts were too negative. I believe that my posts were not negative, were constructive, but were just not what some people wanted to hear. While that is unfortunate, the facts are the facts, and at the end of the day, the facts prevail, they make sense, and when taken into account and taken to heart, they will (hopefully) save other people from making the same mistakes over and over, all at the cost of an innocent baby dragon.

And shame, shame on the irresponsible breeders selling teeny babies to first time dragon buyers. That is a sin, plain and simple, and I mean that and I will always stand by that. This is all from my personal experience as a successful bearded dragon keeper. I feel ethically and morally responsible for saying this in the interest of the welfare of bearded dragons, because I love them so much.

nanyque

I hope we can get an update on Spike 3. I've read through everything and you've gotten some good, and some not so good, advice. Removing the water dish was probably the best thing you could have done. Absolutely go back to your original UVB bulb, and just find a way to hang it better. In my temporary set up while I finish building my viv for my 7 month beard, I bought a cheap fixture from Wal-Mart, and used bolts and nuts to attach it to the screen so it is hanging from the screen, and I have a ramp that gets Saffron within 8 inches. It's worked out really well so far. She is currently in a 20 Long, so if that's what you have, that should work out well. For most of Saffron's 7 month life, we lived in Wisconsin, which is very humid most of the early summer (especially this year) as it is all wetlands/swamplands. Her basking temp has always been 105 degrees plus or minus a couple degrees. I know you commented that you had the temps up to 107 which is great for a baby but that Spike was hiding. That's okay. They aren't going to bask the entire day. Saffron has always been up and down, in and out of her hide, under and over her paper towel substrate, on her ramp, under her ramp, glass dancing. She's a hyper maniac some days, and that's okay. If you notice a ton of activity that seems unusual, especially the glass dancing, or Spike sitting on the cold end all day, double check your temps. They could have risen too high, but typically you won't have a problem.

We got saffron as an itty bitty 4 inches from head to tail baby. Perhaps we got lucky, but she's very healthy and I've been able to get her to a large, healthy 7 month old. Please feel free to PM me with any questions.

kjpetriel":aj4mz2lh said:
He said that my tank is too big for a little guy litke that. As such it will be easier to keep the small tank at a lower but reasonable temp. Let's face it, I'm not going to be able to have a 20 degree difference inside a 10 gallon tank.

I hate the ten gallon, because of the balancing act of removing the lights to remove the screen so I can feed/clean/play/house keep. I might try to figure out how to hang the lamps on retractable chords from the ceiling so I don't break any more bulbs. We used to slide the cover half off, but that melted the rim of the tank.
:banghead:

Amazon has a lamp hanger that can hang them from above the tank. its about $20 well worth it to not break $20 bulbs... That is what I got when my beardies are in a small tank bc I hate having to move the lights to open the screen...

kjpetriel":3360n7v6 said:
I don't have anything for measuring humidity. The humidity I quoted was from the weather channel. During the summer, my house tends to be more humid than outside.

My wife changed out the 75 watt basking bulb for a 100 watt.

So current baby setup is:
1 20 gallon long
1 reptile carpet
1 small salad bowl in the cold section
1 small water bowl, also in the cold section
1 100 watt basking bulb sitting on top of the tank grate
1 75 watt mini floressent UVB (The kind that looks like the energy saver bulbs) sirring on the grate.
The basking log is 6" from the basking bulb and maybe 7 inches from the UVB which are sittin on top of the tank grate.
The lights have been on since 6:30 am ( about 9 hours) and the temp of the log at the closest point to the bulb is 99F.

What should I change?

----
This morning, I fired up the viv that I built. I am going to bring home a four channel thermometer that I can hook to my pc and record the temps of the basking area, and several other spots over three days. Friday is supposed to be over 90 again, so I should be able to get a clue if I baked/steamed these poor creatures. Unfortunately the instrument for recording humidity is being used.
That viv has a 150 watt basking bulb & 75 watt basking bulb, a 150 watt ceramic heater, a 10uvb fluorescent bulb. Timers, thermostats….

I try to maintain a daytime and a night time temperature..
This thing is like the space shuttle but with off the shelf parts... But there is always a chance I messed up.

One thing I would look into is getting a regular florescent Reptisun 10.0 I live in FL also... Those compact bulbs have a bad rep for putting out too much UVB then decreasing VERY rapidly... That was the advice I have been given... I just ordered that bulb. Took the compact one out and my beardie has shown and Extreme improvement...
What kind of calcium/vits do u use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom