Reptaid Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

VEGASLIZARD

Sub-Adult Member
I bought reptaid several months ago from one of my local breeders (tiki tiki) when Scorch decided not to eat and it worked. I had taken her to the vet and he said she was fine, but she just refused to eat. The reptaid really helped with getting her apatite back. I was a dummy though and didn't put it in the frig, so now I'll have to buy some more. In my opinion it is worth every penny when they go on a hunger strike.

ChamNW

Hatchling Member
About using Reptaid with baby or young reptiles:
We have not had to use reptaid with very young chameleons. We do keep a very clean facility, as you can see from pictures on our website. And I think that having very healthy adult chameleons results in having very viable heathy eggs and in turn very healthy little babies. Almost every one of the eggs which hatch actually lives to grow up into an adult. So we really have not had the need to use Reptaid on any very young chameleons.

Another factor which contributes to having healthy babies is the food source. We do not use fruit flies. For one thing, I cannot stand them. I know they are supposed to be flightless but nobody told the fruitflies that. And I don't think they provide enough nutrition for baby reptiles. Another breeder friend would tell us about losing a lot of the babies in a clutch for some reason and they were feeding fruit flies. So, we breed our own crickets and feed countless hundreds a day to the baby chameleons. We gutload the crickets very well and the chams are getting a good meal in every bite. PLUS because we are breeding our own tiny crickets, we know that the crickets do not have pinworms or other parasites in them which is often the case when you buy crickets.

So all this adds up to not having to treat young chameleons with Reptaid.

I do know that there have been people who treated young leopard geckos with Reptaid sucessfully. You can just put a tiny drop of Reptaid on the tip of the nose of the gecko and he will lick it off. And for crested geckos which are eating CGD you can just mix the Reptaid into the diet mix for them.

As for the strength of the Pau d'arco in the Reptaid being too strong for a baby, I don't think so. The few people who have used it on a baby reptile, of whatever species, have not reported any real problem or negative effect. Amber tells me that the proportion of Pau D'arco is very small although they won't tell me what the percentage of each herb is in the mixture. Proprietary informtion.

I can say that I have talked to Amber Tech about formulating a third Reptaid.
We already have Reptaid XL for animals 250g and heavier.
We have regular Reptaid for animals less then 250 g.
And we want to have Reptaid SM for smaller animals like less then 50g. And this would be for small geckos, baby dragons, baby anything as the need arises. When it is available we will announce it on the forum.

ChamNW

Hatchling Member
About using Repaid post-operation
We had that one female egg-bound veiled chameleon which underwent surgery some time ago. We told the doctor that we would just put her on Reptaid (the cham, not the vet!) after the surgery. She said that was fine so we did so. I already knew what Baytril would do to that very weak chameleon after surgery. So instead we gave her Reptaid and in a few days she was fine. Running about, eating and pooping with the best of them. Her incision never got infected and when she went back to the vet after 2 weeks to have the stiches removed, the vet said that she looked great. So of course the vet was impressed with the effectiveness of Reptaid.

I really do not know what to say about using Reptaid and Repta-aid at the same time. Reptaid is all herbs and Repta-aid is a nutritional boost. So I do not think that it would hurt but since I have never tried that I cannot intelligently comment. Perhaps anyone who has used these two products at the same time would take a minute and comment on this thead about their experience.

Suzie22

Hatchling Member
I was really hoping to hear some positive stories with the use of reptaid and baby dragons. Since my baby is about 2 months old and I just bought reptaid (it should be getting here today). I dont feel confident enough to use it on him now. Maybe you should have something on your website that states that it may not be safe for baby bearded dragons. :(

Sunshinessmile

Hatchling Member
Suzie22":a724b said:
I was really hoping to hear some positive stories with the use of reptaid and baby dragons. Since my baby is about 2 months old and I just bought reptaid (it should be getting here today). I dont feel confident enough to use it on him now. Maybe you should have something on your website that states that it may not be safe for baby bearded dragons. :(

please correct me if I am wrong.

I believe the issue with using the regular would be dosage. I think that with the way it is administered you would have difficulty in being accurate in your dosage. Im not sure it would be seen as a direct matter of being safe or unsafe, only concentration and what not...

Suzie22

Hatchling Member
Sunshinessmile":cbca1 said:

I believe the issue with using the regular would be dosage. I think that with the way it is administered you would have difficulty in being accurate in your dosage. Im not sure it would be seen as a direct matter of being safe or unsafe, only concentration and what not...

Whether it be the concentration, the ingredients in it, the dosage, etc... I still need to know if this is safe to use on baby bearded dragons.

ajkry2

Gray-bearded Member
just bought my reptaid and will have before and after pics.

as a reminder, Sahara has coccydia and pinworms as of now...

wish me luck :blob8:

spyder79

Extreme Poster
Suzie22":27f18 said:
Sunshinessmile":27f18 said:

Whether it be the concentration, the ingredients in it, the dosage, etc... I still need to know if this is safe to use on baby bearded dragons.

I ran my babies on it at 4 weeks and again at 8 weeks just to help with relocation stress and what not. i had no ill side effects. granted you only give a drop or two as until they hit 50grams you dont have a exact amount to dose. but i saw nothing negative out of it in the least.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Oh I see well please keep us posted on the results.Do you plan on doing a fecal to minitor them?If you do please post the info as well :mrgreen:

ajkry2

Gray-bearded Member
Since I'm 99% sure of the coccydia and pinworms right now, I plan on doing 2 or 3 ten day runs with two days break between each ten day treatment. So I'll have another fecal done in about a month from now. I'll most definately post the results :)

I'm excited to give Reptaid a run for its money :blob5:

There is one thing I'm still confused about during this treatment. I know I'm supposed to bleach all of her viv, including all furniture, apparel, and the viv itself to avoid recontamination, but when? Should I do it before I start, during, or after treatment? If I'm taking a run at making my princess well, I want to do it right :mrgreen:

ChamNW

Hatchling Member
Really important, cleaning the habitat to eliminate the coccidia. And bleach will not kill coccidia. The best thing is hot steam. If you dont have a steam cleaner, then clean it with ammonia, about 25% solution. then rinse it very very well and then clean it with bleach. rinse it very very well again and reassemble only the basics . Keep just paper towels on the floor of her viv and change them often. Keep the poop cleaned up as much as you can. And then redo the cleaning about every 2 weeks. This should work. And the Reptaid will work for both the coccidia and the pinworms. Keep us posted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom