Reptaid Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBrian

Juvie Member
Sounds like a great product, do you know what the usual common time it takes to get rid of parasites? Also is it aimed at all parasites or certain ones? Im mostly concerned about Coccadia and Pinworms.

Thanks.

ChamNW

Hatchling Member
Vicky
the warning about pregnant females comes from the dog and cat industry. We have used Reptaid for gravid female chameleons and many people have used it, with our encouragement, on gravid females of other species, without any problem. No problem to the female, no problem with the eggs, and no problem with the babies once they are hatched.
If a gravid female comes down with a serious URI it is urgent to treat the female right then rather than let the URI get worse and worse. If the situation is a mild parasitic infection and you want to wait until she lays her eggs, that is probably fine. But for a bacteriological infection like a URI or an eye infection or mouth rot, the sooner you treat it the better.
Again, we have never had any problem with treating a gravid female with Reptaid.

ChamNW

Hatchling Member
Pinworms can usually be knocked out in one 10 day treatment. Unless the infection is very severe. But you should treat with Reptaid for 10 days, give him a 2 day break and then treat for another 10 days to kill off any pinworm eggs that hatch.
Coccidia is a stubborn parasite and the best way to approach this is to get a fecal done after 10 days of treatment to see how the numbers have gone down. Then after a 2 day break go another 10 days and check the fecal again. If you don't want to pay for 2 or 3 fecals, then just give Reptaid for 3 10 day sessions and it should take care of the coccidia problem.

Sunshinessmile

Hatchling Member
I for one would like to say that im very interested in your product and have been considering it for one of my rescues that has been an overly fussy eater as an appetite stimulant.

HOWEVER,
On your web site you state that it has not been approved as a medication, only a supplement.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Can I ask why you are encouraging the use of your product over vet treatment?
ChamNW":b0949 said:
Many people just cannot afford a vet visit in this economy and Reptaid give us all an alternative to help our various reptiles get over their health issues.
Despite what your product claims, whether its good or bad or what have you(im not getting in to that issue), you are claiming to be the only solution needed, with out a vet diagnosis how do you rule out the possibility of something more serious? This was also apart of the last thread that stood out to me. I personally think you need to be carful what you are telling people before your claim of it being cheaper and more affective than a vet visit and treatment submits a dragon to a worse condition or to death.

Kate

ChamNW

Hatchling Member
Kate
I do appreciate your concern and your comments.
As with the case of any reptile breeder, and most reptile keepers, we have all used the vet to help with our reptiles so many many times. And I am not saying that people should not take their pet to the vet, IF they can. The issue is that many people cannot because they cannot afford to. Before Reptaid, you had no choice when your reptile was not feeling right or acting right, but to take him or her to the vet. And because so many people do not have the money to take a pet to the vet, I am afraid that many reptiles were just allowed to suffer and die.

Second thought. There are good reptile vets but search this forum for horror stories of folks who took a dragon to the vet and came away thinking that the Doctor really didn't know what he or she was doing. That they took a look at the animal, took your $100 or $150 and just sent you home with some panacur or baytril. Or they said that they really didn't know what was wrong and unless you were willing to pay another $100 for a complete blood workup, then they really could not help. Try the baytril. Try the panacur. Etc.

We use a couple of different vets and we think the world of them both. We recently paid $800 to our vet for surgery on an eggbound veiled chameleon which we rescued from a well meaning but unlearned keeper. The Doctor was superb and even allowed her technician to video the surgery for us. You might ask why were were willing to pay that kind of money for a chameleon which at best is only worth $125. Well, we valued her life more than the money.

But even if you take your dragon to the vet and they do all the fecal tests and blood work etc, the perscription drugs available to them are so hard on the system that sometimes the drugs end up killing the animal anyway. Also a lot of times, after the vet visit, all the tests and all the drugs, the animal's condition does not change or gets worse.

So there has to be another way to keep reptiles alive. This is Reptaid.

I will not tell anyone not to take their animal to the vet. If you can afford it fine. But I will say that if you do subject your animal to the harsh treatment of standard vet perscribed drugs, you will need the Reptaid to nurse them back to health afterward.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
But even if you take your dragon to the vet and they do all the fecal tests and blood work etc, the perscription drugs available to them are so hard on the system that sometimes the drugs end up killing the animal anyway. Also a lot of times, after the vet visit, all the tests and all the drugs, the animal's condition does not change or gets worse.
Exactly...I for one would rather us the reptaid over the harsh prescription drugs. I nearly lost Ms. Tiggs just over a year ago when she was treated for coccidia...I still do not know today exactly why :? whether the drug just had a bad reaction with her or if the vet administered the wrong amount. :roll: And Zak-n-Wheezie's delicate little systems had a hard time too...Plus the fact that taking all of our beardies to the vet cost us a credit card that we maxed out. So I do understand what Elliot is saying.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
I posted this in the other thread but I thought I might add my before and after of Itty Bitty in
this thread as well.

Here's a before an after pic of the first beardie I use the reptaid on.
Itty Bitty had been housed in a pet store with several beardies with the wrong UVB and the temps were literally cold for nearly 1 year. Her front fingers were curled under though you can't really tell in this pic...due to the lack of UVB and proper temps...MBD was setting in. Also see how dark her underside and beard are due to the parasites she was ridden with? Which a fecal test confirmed.

BEFORE
DSC00277.jpg

AFTER
Check this out after 2 rounds of Reptaid she doesn't even look like the same beardie. :mrgreen:
And her fingers did straighten out again which to me was like a miracle.
DSC02014.jpg

And now she is happily brumating. :mrgreen:

Someone had asked about gravid females? I have used this product to boost a females immune system and appetite after laying back to back clutches that were only 2 weeks apart. You can imagine just how thin and sucked up a female is after nearly 50 eggs in under 2 weeks. In a matter of only days she was nice and plump again where normally in the past it has taken weeks to get he weight back on and fat stores back. Of course part of the plumpness was due to the fact that she was gravid again...but my point is more directed toward the fat stores not the belly. BTW all 25 of the clutch that she laid after the 3 days of reptaid I gave her are doing just fine. No still births, no upside down babies, no problems what so ever. :wink:

I will try to locate a before pic so that I can show you the results. :wink:

Suzie22

Hatchling Member
The before and after pics of Itty Bitty are amazing! I just ordered mine and hope to have it here by tomorrow. I can't wait to try it out on my Drago. I hope he will get his appetite back with it.

spyder79

Extreme Poster
Just want to say something here. I firmly believe in the abilities of this product and will be a long time user of it. But i want to point out that you should never think you can 100% replace vet care with this. You still should take your beardie in at least once a year for a check up (suggested every 6 months) just to make sure everything is good. There are other things that affect their health besides parasites and bacteria and fungus. Just my .02 cents

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
I agree 100% with your statement Brian. :D
It is not a replacement for vet care, regular check ups, or fecal testing...it is an option to harsh meds.
Or a great way to assist in boosting their immune system.
Never leave your vet out of the loop if your dealing with a serious matter.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Thanks Barbara for posting those before and after pics that is a wonderful result.Has anyone used this product with babies?If so what were the results if any?
Elliot are you aware of anyone using it with babies?

I still have major concerns in regards to using this with baby beardies.The Pau Darco is an awfully strong herb do you think there may be a specific cut off in age when it might not be a good idea to use?

Also I am wondering about animals pre and post operative procedures.Has anyone used it during these times?Some of the ingredients are known blood thinners and I would be cautious about that as well.Any risks there?

Suzie22

Hatchling Member
I would also like to know if it is ok to use on babys...and at what age is ok. Has anyone used this on babys around 2 months of age or younger?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi Elliot, this thread was a good idea. I also have some concerns about using it on a baby. I also wonder about using it along with Repta-Aid, any worries about that? If you feel it is safe for a baby like 3 months and younger, would you still recommend 10 days on/2 days off? What about using a probiotic with it, is that suggested?

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Personally I would be worried about using it with babies.They have such intolerance to meds and although I know this is herbal its still quite potent as you can imagine judging by the results.The pau d'arco in it is quite a strong antibiotic in itself.I guess the question is how would their body tolerate in comparison to conventional meds.

ChamNW

Hatchling Member
Lets talk about the probiotic first.
A probiotic, for those who are not familiar with this product, is a way to re-introduce the beneficial bacteria into the gastro-intestinal tract (the guts) of the reptile after their own bacteria in their system has been wiped out by the use of standard antibiotics. A probiotic is the opposite of an antibiotic.
Well, it is well known that antibiotic drugs which we take as humans, or which we give to our reptiles all kill off that beneficial bacteria. After we take a regimen of antibiotic drugs we are supposed to take something like acidophilus to get our system back in balance. If the bacteria is all wiped out, then things like yeast grow in our bodies and begin to mess with our immune system and such like. So we take the acidophilus for a week or more and that usually helps.
With reptiles, after antibiotics, you should use a product like benebac to replace that gut-flora as it is called. It is there to help with digestion. When it is absent, digestion is not complete, the reptile gets a tummy ache, and he won't eat. Or at least we think he has a tummy ache. Most reptiles won't tell us why they don't feel good or why they won't eat. So there is some supposition here.

We have been using Reptaid in our Chameleon breeding facility now for about 18 months or more. We have started breeding geckos also and have been using Reptaid on some geckos just recently also. We used to use Baytril or other drugs but now we only use Reptaid for our antibiotic. And we never use a probiotic. Allow me to repeat that. We NEVER use a probiotic after or while administering Reptaid to any of our animals. If a probiotic was needed, we would use it. And if it was needed, we would not be seeing the incredible results from using Reptaid without any probiotic. So if you ask me for my opinion I would say emphatically that a probiotic is definitely not needed when using Reptaid.

Nevertheless there are members of this forum who feel quite strongly that a probiotic is needed with Reptaid because it is an antibiotic. So if you are so inclined, by all means, please use the probiotic. It won't hurt the dragon, I don't think.

On another note, there have been a lot of people who have written, asking about using Reptaid to restore the appetite of a dragon who went through the standard drug treatment and now he won't eat. And so after receiving assurance from myself or another forum member they get the reptaid , give it to the dragon and presto! Dragon is eating again in no time.

So to draw a conclusion here, I think that Reptaid has its own probiotic qualities within some of those herbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom