Please help Faye

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
If she's keeping her mouth open a lot in her tank, could be because it's warm and she's doing what's called "thermoregulating". If she's doing it OUT of her tank, that could be a sign of an URI, which is suspected from the vet, correct? Was an X-ray done to look at her lungs? The mucus in her eye could be from some kind of "cold" or could be from an infection. So now for the questions to maybe get you some more information from some others on here: Which meds were prescribed for her? Any idea of the name of the liver "virus"?? I know if they can become diseased but I don't know about a virus attacking the liver. Was any bloodwork done?? Did they give you any Critical Care or Carnivore Care to give her via syringe to get vitamins/minerals in her? Sorry about all the questions, just stuff that would be helpful for others to know if they can help you better! <3 Hope she starts to feel better soon!

Fayethedragon

Original Poster
Yes they did take an Xray. She didn't like the look of her longs and her liver. The virus is called something like adenovirus. I didn't catch it completely. I know it starts with an a. She said it attacks the liver and that there are treatments but that it hit and miss. They think they haven't exactly figured out the right dosage or something like that.

As for the antibiotics, the meds are: oral - enrofloxacin 25mg/ml Strawberry flavor. we're only supposed to give her 0.06 ml once a day
eye - BNP Ointment. Put a little ointment on both eyes once a day.

As for the Vitamin A supplement, she gave it to her orally with a weird metal rod down her throat. She told me to keep feeding her lots of vegetables with vitamin A in it to her. She also told me to keep giving her lots of calcium and uvb so she can absorb it.

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Angele,
I sent Tracie a PM about Faye having adenovirus. I know it's a bad thing and that's pretty much all I know. :( Tracie knows much more. Hopefully she will contact you soon!

Fayethedragon

Original Poster
She seems to be doing better. She's moving around the tank a little bit more today. She's opening her good eye more often. She's took her meds no problem. We just bought a bunch of necessary accessories for both of them. Hopefully both our lizard now thrive in their appropriate conditions.

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Glad to hear Faye seems to be feeling a little better! If/when she starts eating on her own, here is a list of greens high in calcium and vitamin A:
"Crisp, fresh, and delicious, dark leafy greens are great in a salad or steamed as a side. As a bonus they are also high in calcium. Kale provides the most vitamin A with 15376IU (308% DV) per 100g serving, 10302IU (206% DV) per cup. It is followed by Turnip Greens (232% DV), Mustard Greens (210% DV), Dandelion Greens (203% DV), Spinach (188% DV), and Collards (133% DV)."

Fayethedragon

Original Poster
thank you so much for that tidbit of information. I'll do my best to stock up on some just for her and well, King too lol.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry to hear Faye has Adenovirus.
It is not always a "death" sentence actually. Some dragons live with it a very long time that have had a strengthened immune system while others are very poor doers & do not make it. Honestly, a lot of it greatly depends on their genetics.
Was a blood test done or a liver biopsy performed?
To help with her liver function you can try Milk thistle extract or Serrapeptase. Using alternative therapy is much more helpful than drugs really for Adenovirus. I would recommend starting her on colloidal silver a few times per week, along with a small pinch of bee pollen daily to help with immune system.
How often is she to have the vitamin A? I would be very careful with using too much synthetic vitamin A for too long of a period of time as over time, it will build up in the system & become toxic.
How is her eye doing?

Tracie

Fayethedragon

Original Poster
no tests other than xray was done. the vet did not say for sure that Faye has adenovirus but says it's a possibility from what she saw in the xray due to the enlarged liver. She wants to work on the URI and eye infection before figuring out, if Faye doesn't get better, if it's adenovirus. As she said, medical treatment isn't necessarily effective but if we discover down the line that Faye does have adenovirus for sure, I will keep your recommendations in mind.

As for the vitamin supplements, the vet this not get specific. She just gave her the supplement while we were there and told us to come back in 2-5 weeks for a follow up. Not much was discussed other than we should implement more veggies into her diet to increase her vitamin A.

One eye is opening more frequently. The other does seem to open now and then but we can clearly see eye goop in it. It looks like the swelling is going down. We can now see a little orange in her eye color again. We're just taking it one day at a time.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
A previous poster mentioned Kale as being high in vit a. I checked on a nutrition website and that is correct but it is listed, color coded, as being a occasionally food for beardies. If I remember correctly, Kale causes calcium problems in beardies because of the calcium-phosoporus ratio.

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutritionframeset.html

This is the link to the website where you can see the nutrition info for beardies' foods. If you use a lot of kale, I suggest you increase their calcium, even using liquid calcium. We used to feed Goldie a little Zucchini daily for a long period then wondered why she was loosing the middle claw in both of her front feet, at least twice per foot, maybe even three for one, I can't remember for sure. Anyway, I checked on that site and found that zucchini also causes calcium issues in beardies, tho it's good for us.
There are a lot of other greens on there that are good for vit a for them.

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
DARN IT! Why can't I ever remember that food list?! *smacks head* :| That's the second time I've done that on bd.org (forgot that list)! Thank you Beardie Parents for posting that! :D WAAAAAY better than what I posted! What I put was for "humans" not beardies! DUH! :roll: I followed that list TO THE LETTER with my first beardie! :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom