Zilla Critter Cages

Status
Not open for further replies.

marriott1012

Original Poster
suzuki4life":2g8gmsbg said:
a 40 gallon breeder is fine for a single dragon.

OK thank you. I feel as if everyone kind of has there own opinion and there were a alot of contradicting statement out there. I have reads few times that this tank is sufficient but have also read many times you aleast need a 55. Gallon. Thanks for your advice :D ........also why do they call it a breeder tank

suzuki4life

Juvie Member
Most people I know of use 3x2x 18's for adults

The internet boasts a 4x2x2 is bare minimium

a 55 is 4x12= 4 sq ft
a 40 is 3x1.4= 4.5 sq ft..

a 40 has mroe sq ft
a 55 has more cubic ft.

so unless the beardie can fly or you give tons of climbing items and it lives in the trees, the 40 is just as good if not better.

kjinxx2

Sub-Adult Member
The advantages of "breeder" size tanks is they are shallower and wider, allowing more oxygen exchange surface area and heavier stocking compared to a similar gallonage in a different ratio. They also have (which is why we like them) more floor area which allows for more plants, decorations, etc where the fish can lay eggs/give birth.

XtinaBeardieMom

Juvie Member
kjinxx2":sb3ebapa said:
The advantages of "breeder" size tanks is they are shallower and wider, allowing more oxygen exchange surface area and heavier stocking compared to a similar gallonage in a different ratio. They also have (which is why we like them) more floor area which allows for more plants, decorations, etc where the fish can lay eggs/give birth.

Ah, I see... makes sense. But what exactly qualifies as a breeder tank then? I really only see the term in reference to 40gal tanks - can other size/volume tanks be considered "breeders" depending on dimensions? Not trying to hijack the thread, but thought it was an appropriate question considering the original poster asked about the subject.

marriott1012

Original Poster
Question is justified hijacking is not an issue here. lol I just heard every one using that term and it did not really make sense until now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom