Zeus is sick - is it too late

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweaver

My 5 y/o male BD, Zeus has been noticeably sick for about 1 week. At first I thought he was impacted so I soaked him daily in warm water until he pooped - that wasn't it. His symptoms are lethargy, watery eyes, won't eat, won't drink, very pale, very dark beard. Took him to the vet yest. who heard rattling on his left side. Put him on Cipro and he's being force fed "Critical Care" formula from the vet - he's not really making any effort to swallow, but I'm getting some in him. Realized that old kitchen irridescent lighting does not provide UVB so for all these years he's been w/o UVB. Went out yesterday and corrected this immediatley. Is it too late for Zeus? I'm calling the vet shortly to see if I can get some oral calcium in him too. Need your thoughts. I am feeling very sad and guilty but putting my all into getting him better. Is there a chance??

Thanks - Sheryl

Nasubi77

Sub-Adult Member
I think he will be okay. You got vet attention when he was sick and that's the best thing you could have done. He probably has some MBD from lack of UVB, but that can be halted maybe somewhat corrected, if you make sure your husbandry is the best it can be.

We can help you with that if you answer the following questions:

How old is your dragon?
How long have you had your dragon?
How long is your dragon?
What is the sex of your dragon?
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in?
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?
Do you use UVB lights?
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB?
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage?
What are the basking temps?
What is the cool side temp?
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?
Do you bath your dragon? How often?
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon?
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?

Don't worry - dragons who have suffered all manner of neglect can make a comeback, and yours has not been neglected by any means, so he should be fine. His biggest issue right now is getting over the URI and getting his tummy feeling better after all those meds.

Best of Luck!
Susan

chancellor91

Juvie Member
yes, i would get a reptisun 10.0 tube, and get the fixture at home depot, you hopfully should start seeing an impovment, ask the vet for some calcium gloconate or gluconate dont no how to spell it

Tigg

Juvie Member
There is always a chance! :)

Your story is kind of sad but it is not too late. You should notice a fairly big change in his energy with the UVB lighting? Can you share which light you got? what brand and wattage? Do you know what your temps are throughout the enclosure? should be a hot, cool, and basking temp?

although most beardies might not eat from a syringe right away, they will most of the time eat whatever is in their mouth, you are going to need to be patient, and while holding him, most people have success by rubbing the corner of their mouths, they will open up and you can SLOWLY squeeze small amounts in. making sure he has time to swallow each mouthful after each attempt.

Keep it up with the baths, if your beardie is dehydrated at all this will benefit him as they are able to get a "cloacal drink" by absorbing water through their vent. I would give him a bath each day for 15-20min in warm water up to his armpits. replace the water immediately if he defecates in his bath. You can even give him a bath in CLEAR gatorade/Pedialite (Coloured stuff will dye his skin) and rinse off later.

Along with the Critical care, you can also mix up a "slurry" in a blender to keep his nourishment up... throw in some chicken baby food for protein, veggie or butternut squash baby food for fibre, a few crickets, some water or pedialite/gatorade to help with hydration, and a sprinkle of some calcium supplements, and multivitamins, and again feed through a syringe or medicine dropper.

chancellor91

Juvie Member
yes this will keep your bd some what healthy untill he starts feeling better from light

just keep going at it with syring he will eventualy take to it

you have to do it for him

chancellor

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It should not be to late to try & correct it. What sized tank are you using right now?
If you have at least a 30-40 gallon tank you should get a mercury vapor bulb such as the Megaray or the T-rex Active UV heat to really zap him with strong UVB light. It would be a night & day difference in him.
Also, get him started on some liquid calcium that would greatly help him out as well. Did the vet not get you any liquid calcium or do a blood test? The Cipro could help with any infection, if he has one. The Critical care is excellent. Try to get a few cc's or ml's in him daily to help his strength levels.
You can get the liquid calcium from this site here:

http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Meds.html#CalciumGluconate

Make sure to keep him well hydrated while he is on the Cipro. What is the dosage he is getting & how long will he be on it for?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaineyPoo
Top Bottom