Zeke Fatty Live Disease - Update w/ Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
I've read over this thread again, and I don't think that anyone has mentioned adding vegetable or mineral oil to his baby food. Try that. It really helps when mine have constipation. Also, are you giving Zeke any kind of probiotic? This restores the beneficial gut flora, and is very important. If he will have antibiotics, give the probiotic 6 hours after the antibiotic, or the probiotic can interfere with the medicine. Actually, my dad has been having diarreah problems for years. Thanks to this forum, and my dragons taking probiotics, I bought some for my dad. His smptoms are markedly decreased.

Probiotics include soy yogurt, or a commercially prepared probiotic. I use the Acidophilus+ available here:
[urlhttp://www.bug-de-lite.com/Products%20Page.html][/url]
You can alsoet the liquid calcium, or the Calci-blast, which is stronger at the same place. Tracie is one of our mods. She ships quickly, and her prices are very reasonable.

Postive thoughts and prayers coming for you and Zeke. Please keep us informed of his progress.

TASTIGER

Extreme Poster
if he had a high number of parasites for a long time they could have damaged his G.I. tract to the point that it stopped working normally.
It sounds like hes in alot of pain right now I really hope he pulls through :cry:

Mirrorakay

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
@Esther

I should have mention that I do mix the oil in with the baby food. In the past I've also had some luck with pumpkin so I have that on hand too. Unfortunately he is pretty much against the entire idea of food. I was surprised to see him even lick his lips twice for me earlier.

Also, normally, I do use a probiotic and give it several hours later. I use a soy yogurt, but I haven't been able to get any into him. In order to get the meds in him I actually had to make him upset to the point he hissed at me. Even then he just let a lot of it roll out of his mouth. I know he feels like poop, but he certainly isn't making this easy for either of us.

@Tastiger

My best guess is that he had parasites pretty solidly for 9 or 10 months, maybe a little more. When I got him we've get short breaks before the numbers spiked again, enough to give him diarreah. Ever since I got him we've bounced between diarreah and constipation. I adopted him in March 2011 and I think late November 2011 was the first time his poo was finally free of parasites. We would run the course of antibiotics and the runny, smelly poo would clear. However, he would take a while to bounce back and when he finally did, another bout of parasites hit. It wasn't until early Feb 2012 that he had his first "normal" poo, and even then it was only one or two that were hefty. After that they were scrawny, yet daily; I just never thought much of it since he was passing stool most days and they certainly looked healthier than what I had been seeing. I know when I adopted him he had parasites and considering the care he recieved, he probably had parasites for a long while too.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
I am so sorry that things are so difficult for you and Zeke. You are doing a wonderful job of taking care of him. Keeping you both in my prayers, Esther

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Please keep us posted on Zeke.
I think the mineral oil is a good idea, but definitely try a soft diet for awhile, too. He wont take any food from a dropper or syringe?
I am sorry he was not able to pass anything either & that a bath didn't help him out. Poor guy he has had a rough time of it.
You are doing a great job with him!

Tracie

Mirrorakay

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
@Tracie
No, so far he won't take food from a syringe. I'm going to keep trying and see if he'll take something for me today.

I'll be talking to the vet later tonight and update again with anything I find out.

Mirrorakay

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I'll admit, I wasn't expecting it, but I've got a bit of good news. It's small, but it is something! I'm not sure if it is coincidence or what, but after one dose of the Trimeth/Sulfa, there was a difference in Zeke today. He had his head lifted up off the ground. Granted, his eyes remained closed most of the day, but he responded to sounds around his tank. If someone walked by to see him, he'd crack his eyes open and give them one of his trademark death glares. My guess is he was actually awake most of the day. Zeke's beard is still black and he hasn't moved at all, but the fact that his head up has me very happy.

Unfortunately, as the day got later, he did put his head down and go back to sleep. He also hasn't passed any stool today, but I know getting him cleared out is a long road.

A few questions here!As for the vet, he wasn't able to see anything in the X-ray because of all the poo. He does want to continue the meds and see if Zeke continues to improve or not. He also told me that I need to force-feed Zeke since he isn't taking food on his own. I know I've read around here that force feeding isn't normally the way to go, but I know Zeke is entering week 6 without food. He also isn't willingly taking the mineral oil in that bath water, so I need to get that into him as well. Any tips? The vet told me to try and get 6-9 mls of food into him daily. Does that sound about right? And any flavors of babyfood you guys can suggest? We have prunes, winter squash, and canned pumpkin on hand, but I will happily get more. Also, should I mix some supplements into the babyfood (along with the oil) or hold off on that?

Oh, and if he continues to respond well to the Trimeth/Sulfa, does that mean we're dealing with coccidia? The vet mentioned he thinks it is more likely Zeke is picking up a systemic infection from all the poo in his system, but I haven't read anything about that med treating something like that.

Irwinshealth

Sub-Adult Member
Any sign of improvement makes me smile. I'm glad to hear you didn't have to make the hard decision. I cannot help with the medical questions but I'm sure Tracie will be on to check in. I just wanted you to know we are all thinking of Zeke! I will pray for poo tonight and lots of it ,lol What other site would get excited about poo like this bunch :D Hang in there Zeke

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thinking about you and Zeke. Sounds like a little bit of an improvement today, that's good.

Since he hasn't eaten in so long, mixing chicken and squash baby food together would be a good idea, you can even mix a little calcium in it. The protein in the chicken will help give him a much needed boost.

Good luck and please keep us updated.

Mirrorakay

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I just wanted to thank everyone who has commented so far. I've been so caught up in thinking I was losing my little guy that I forgot to tell everyone how much I appreciate your words. All of the advice has been invaluable and the support everyone has shown is probably the only reason I've been able to get Zeke this far. Ever since Saturday I've been so defeated and today is the first time I've felt like we may have a chance at getting through this. Thank you all and I will continue to update daily.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I know how you feel, watching him not feeling good, wondering if he's getting better, looking for any sign of an improvement, however small. I hope and pray he continually gets better.

Amy2

Hatchling Member
I can't offer any advice, but I wanted you to know that I am thinking of you and Zeke, and you are doing a wonderful job with him! :D

Mirrorakay

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
This morning Zeke's head has been down, but his eyes are open. His beard also seems to lighten up some when I get him out of his tank, which hasn't been happening so far. I was able to get 2 1/2 mls of babyfood mixed with liquid calcium into him. When I feed him a bit later I'll be mixing the food with mineral oil and try and get that into him. True to himself, he fought to get away from the syringe which is the most energy I have seen from him in quite some time.

I'm going to get him in the bath in a few hours and, if the rain stays away, see if I can get him outside for 30 mins. I'll let you guys know how that goes.

I'm still very stumped on how to get food into him if he won't lick it off his lips. I was lucky this morning and he took the whole 2.5 mls on his own (we had to take a few breaks but eventually got it), but that still left a 1/2 ml that I was unable to get into him. Any tips would help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom