Your opinion on Zoo Med and other Terrariums?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xHaleyRose

Hatchling Member
I am looking to get my baby a special tank that will be good for her.
I want to make sure I get the right size and am cautious about the right tank set up for her.. I already lost one sick dragon that I got from the store... I'm trying to do everything possible that is perfect for the one thats still alive.

I like the look of the Zoo Med Terrariums.. But I wanted to get opinions on it, before I go out and get one.

like this:
glass_terrarium_1%5B1%5D.jpg

(Of course not with the amount of water in it.. but they mostly look like that general design)

They're really the only set ups that you see around here.. but I am always willing to look at others!! I'm actually interested in finding more than just the zoo med one.. I want to poke around before I buy one. I've still got some time as she's only a few months old (I think).... and I'm still not even sure she is a she xD

Cinder9

Juvie Member
the important thing is floor space, tanks like the one pictured have more height to them and not enough floor space especially since they will grow out of it quickly. unless you want to spend alot to get one like that with a good enough size. zilla critter cages are very good store bought tanks for the price, thats what i used in the beginning and i loved it.

bobbittle

The zoo med terrariums aren't big enough. The larger two sizes are only 18x18 footprint. Exo terra makes hinged door terrariums like the zoo med ones but with a 36x18 footprint. They're expensive though. The zilla critter cage, 40 or the new 90, would probably be the cheapest store bought cage. Tetrafauna has a new 40b with sliding glass front doors and a screen top, but the msrp on them is 199 I think.

xHaleyRose

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I was planning on spending like $200 - $250 on the set up so I dont have to worry about it later on :p

bobbittle

xHaleyRose":snp2m3un said:
I was planning on spending like $200 - $250 on the set up so I dont have to worry about it later on :p

Set up meaning all your lights, cage, etc? Or just the cage?

Msrp on the exo terra cages:

36x18x18 - 319.99
36x18x24 - 359.99

Can you find them much cheaper than that? Most likely.

If you have the room get the zilla 90g critter cage I'd say.

xHaleyRose

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hmm I'll look up on that!! Thank you!!
When I get an idea of what I want, I'm going to go to my favorite store and have them order something nice for me :p

Edit: Wow Actually those exo terras were the ones that I was checking out when I was at zoo creatures.. They were running at $225 - $250 there.. I think I may like one of those :p

I have the hood light.. I just need to get a new thermometer, and I want a waterfall sort of thing for her cage because she refuses to drink out of anything thats still. I have to give her water out of a dropper or she drinks when she's in the bath..

Kidster96

Hatchling Member
Having a waterfall will raise the humidity :( I wanted one to but meh, not worth the risk of upper respiratory infection.

xHaleyRose

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Even with a large enclosure? Hmm.. Its so hard to get her to drink because she's stubborn. I have to give her water through a dropper throughout the day or else she doesnt really drink.

Cinder9

Juvie Member
about that new zilla 90 tank. i tried lookin everywhere for a place that sells it but i cant find it anywhere. anyone know of a place that sells them?

McSkweeky

Juvie Member
I just ordered a new XL Critter Cage from my local private pet store. They didn't have it in stock but were able to order it. I adopted a fully grown beardie and needed the space ASAP. You can check Zilla's store locator to see if there is a vendor in your area who can help you out. Since they are so big no one around here really seems to keep them in stock. http://www.zilla-rules.com/locator/

Definitely try to stay away from the waterfall. Beardie's natural environment is very dry, so increasing the humidity can increase the risk of an upper respiratory infection. If you are bathing your beardie on a regular basis and making sure she is eating well, she will keep hydrated thru her food and baths. They absorb water thru their vents when she is bathed and the food she eats has some moisture as well.

--Maggie

FBradshaw

Juvie Member
A waterfall will definitely raise the humidity too high. Bearded dragons don't necessarily need to drink, they get their water from live feeders, veggies, and absorb it through their skin and vent while bathing. Out of my 5 dragons only 2 actually drink and it's very rare to see it.

Cinder9

Juvie Member
Well i have like 6 petstores in my area including petco and petsmart so i think ill try all of them until someone says they can order one. How much was it for you?

ash0587

Hatchling Member
I got the exoterra 36x18x18 at petsmart for $199 plus tax. the only complain I have is the support bars across the screen top. it causes my combo hood to not sit properly on the top so a decent amount of heat escapes :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom