Your Disabled Dragon Needs This! Mine Loves it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero138

Hatchling Member
So My new dragon Ring Around is missing a total of 5 toes and 4 are from his front feet. As you might imagine he has problems with grabbing the branches to bask.
This is my Solution and it can all be made for around 15 bucks. I made mine for 8.53 because i had left over Repticarpet, if you dont have left over youll need to buy some but the materials needed can make quite a few of these so if you have multiple HandiCapped Dragons or you just want to add a second level its way easy and at the Lowes i was at He made all the cuts all i did was assemble it!
Supplies Needed
1 quater inch sheet of particle board 4 foot by 2 foot at lowes it was around 5 bucks
1 small hinge. Try to find one that has screws smaller than a quarter inch or youll have to do like i did an make a spacer
1 small 1 inch by .5 inch stud. they sell these for .84 cents at lowes and they are by the wood saw.

SO youll want to get the measurements for you tank but if your tank is the standard 12w youll need to cut your board at 11-9/16th wide
so here it is
DSCN7826.jpg

Here is the board after its been cut the width is 11 9/16th the length is up to you on how much of your tank you want to tank up and the ramp cutout is 4inches wide and youll make the cut at 5 inches from the back of the board (note that this is not the actual board in the finished pics all parts here are extras i had left over just to give you an idea)
DSCN7829.jpg

Next youll have the ramp cut Mine is 16.75inches long my 4inches wide
DSCN7832.jpg

then you will have the Studs cut down to the hight you need for your enclosure my tank is 19 high and i have decided through trial and error that cutting the studs down to 7 inches is perfect for this
DSCN7834.jpg

now for the carpeting you will want to have the cutout section for the ramp to be a little larger than the board so it covers the gap made by the hinge. I used Double sided heavy duty tape to attach the carpet to the board but thats because i didnt want to spend more than i needed to on this, however if i do it again i will use a spray adhesive
DSCN7830.jpg

Next you will hinge the two boards together Note you want to predrill the holes. Not so much because its particle board but more so because the hinge being straight is really important so line it up perfectly center and drill the holes first. ( youll notice the cut looks bad, hey lowes cut the notch out so thats not my handy work! oh you need to ask them to cut it and not be to picky this isnt something they do often so be nice)
DSCN7833.jpg

Next you will want to attach the legs to your new second level flooring.
DSCN7835.jpg

Now you should have the perfect little HandiCapped ramp for your lizard. Poor ring around was falling off the logs every time he went after crix now he can bask and he has no problems at all he seems much happier! let me know what you do with this Idea! Its easy, cheap and your Dragon will thank you!

DSCN7827.jpg

DSCN7826.jpg

Thanks!
DSCN7836.jpg

sirenique

Hatchling Member
Awww look how happy he is on his ramp!! He has a little "Thanks! You love me!" face on :D What a great, easy project!

Zero138

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well thanks so much! I think it's so easy and if you take the time to make sure you mark the back of the carpet you won't see sharpie lol and it can look really good! It's a fun easy way and loses did all the work! My dragon is happier now cause he can bask with no worries of falling!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom