Swollen legs , sometimes has spasms

Skyfall350

Beardie name(s)
Leo
Hello
We bought this baby on 04-05 from a store , he was little slow and didnt move as much , now hes more energetic eating running moving , but his legs doesnt look right he weights 18grams dont know his gender yet , we brought him to VET but they dont work much with reptiles but they gave him vitamin b in mucle injections once a week 2times and some antiinfection medicine , we bought a package of food for him every week diffrent food arrives this week he has wax moths , last week he had turkestan cockrouches and week before he had crickets he eats 3/5 of them a day , i put all his food in calcium before he eats it , dont know if he has right lamps everything we bough for it we googled so not sure ill put pictures of what lamps he has.
Sorry for my english
Would apprieciate some tips thanks!

Attachments

• Messenger_creation_1c00a20c-b549-4ed3-8794-4b2f49c338c3.jpeg
    Messenger_creation_1c00a20c-b549-4ed3-8794-4b2f49c338c3.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Messenger_creation_ee738ab0-a41f-42c4-b664-9b193b143246.jpeg
    Messenger_creation_ee738ab0-a41f-42c4-b664-9b193b143246.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 20240406_205039.jpg
    20240406_205039.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 20240406_205031.jpg
    20240406_205031.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 24

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello
We bought this baby on 04-05 from a store , he was little slow and didnt move as much , now hes more energetic eating running moving , but his legs doesnt look right he weights 18grams dont know his gender yet , we brought him to VET but they dont work much with reptiles but they gave him vitamin b in mucle injections once a week 2times and some antiinfection medicine , we bought a package of food for him every week diffrent food arrives this week he has wax moths , last week he had turkestan cockrouches and week before he had crickets he eats 3/5 of them a day , i put all his food in calcium before he eats it , dont know if he has right lamps everything we bough for it we googled so not sure ill put pictures of what lamps he has.
Sorry for my english
Would apprieciate some tips thanks!
Ok welcome to the forum --- we need to get the correct lighting for him or he will not survive --- first get rid of the coil UVB that is not any good -- you want a long tube fixture like one of these I am going to post links for you - 24" fixture for a 40 + gallon tank
this comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you want a 10.0 bulb I will post a link as well
Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood
22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO High Output Fluorescent Bulb pangea was out of this bulb -
or this one can be found at PetSmart you want the 12% 24 watt bulb
Arcadia Reptile ProT5 UV-B Kit | reptile Light Fixtures | PetSmart
or this one you will need to change the bulb out to the Reptisun posted above
you want the 2 ft or 24" fixture https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster...mp.html?opts=eyJhdHRyaWJ1dGU5MDEiOiI2NjEwIn0=
next you need 2 digital probe thermometers one for the hot side and one for the cool side of the tank - surface basking temps 105-110 place the probe where he will sit to bask 10 min or so get the temp cool side of the tank 80ish -- night time temps 65-75 cool and dark
next you need a clear solid bright white basking bulb that will keep the surface basking temps I posted - this things are critical for the dragons survival ---
start w/ a 100 watt bulb here are some bulbs you can use Flukers Basking Bulb Incandescent Reptile Light
Exo Terra Intense Basking Spot Lamp
Arcadia Halogen Basking Spotlight ( 50w / 75w / 100w )
Zoo Med Digital Thermometer
Please get this as soon as you can -- which leg are you talkin about being swollen? Are you using any kind of hammocks in the tank? Next we need to work on diet ---- the lighting needs to be on par or the dragon will not eat or will quit eating - the surface basking temps and UVB are going to keep him eating but they must be correct --- he needs salads everyday here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale info its outdated --
Nutrition Content
He needs a staple insect like crickets dubia roaches silk worms or BSFL --- the BSFL are good staple feeders for babies and good lures to the salad bowl --- I would get those and some dubia roaches please do not feed any insect bigger than the space between his eyes - the BSFL I would order mediums for his - put them on top of his salads like 20-25 at a time - if he eats them to fast they will come out undigested - you can get a bowl like this for salads and to keep the BSFL in along w/ the small dubia roaches -- Amazon.com
Please if you need more help or have questions please ask
When you get the UVB please post back on here the screen on the tank will determine placement and distance for it

Skyfall350

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Thats a lot of info thanks ! He has about 30C temp on his rock where he stays under lamps at night time he has 19/20C
His right front leg has the biggest swole and left one has a little swolen and back left has little little swollen aswell , he likes eating he is catching food running for it , we were told that he needs no more than 29C for him
Humidity is 35/40%
So you saying his lights are bad ? Because we were told by the store that sells food for exotic creatures thats its okay for now
At first he ate some lamb lettuce but stoppet eating vegies , only insects .

Attachments

• Messenger_creation_1c00a20c-b549-4ed3-8794-4b2f49c338c3.jpeg
    Messenger_creation_1c00a20c-b549-4ed3-8794-4b2f49c338c3.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 16

Skyfall350

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Ok welcome to the forum --- we need to get the correct lighting for him or he will not survive --- first get rid of the coil UVB that is not any good -- you want a long tube fixture like one of these I am going to post links for you - 24" fixture for a 40 + gallon tank
22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO High Output Fluorescent Bulb pangea was out of this bulb -
you want the 2 ft or 24" fixture https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster...mp.html?opts=eyJhdHRyaWJ1dGU5MDEiOiI2NjEwIn0=
next you need 2 digital probe thermometers one for the hot side and one for the cool side of the tank - surface basking temps 105-110 place the probe where he will sit to bask 10 min or so get the temp cool side of the tank 80ish -- night time temps 65-75 cool and dark
next you need a clear solid bright white basking bulb that will keep the surface basking temps I posted - this things are critical for the dragons survival ---
start w/ a 100 watt bulb here are some bulbs you can use Flukers Basking Bulb Incandescent Reptile Light
Please get this as soon as you can -- which leg are you talkin about being swollen? Are you using any kind of hammocks in the tank? Next we need to work on diet ---- the lighting needs to be on par or the dragon will not eat or will quit eating - the surface basking temps and UVB are going to keep him eating but they must be correct --- he needs salads everyday here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale info its outdated --
Nutrition Content
He needs a staple insect like crickets dubia roaches silk worms or BSFL --- the BSFL are good staple feeders for babies and good lures to the salad bowl --- I would get those and some dubia roaches please do not feed any insect bigger than the space between his eyes - the BSFL I would order mediums for his - put them on top of his salads like 20-25 at a time - if he eats them to fast they will come out undigested - you can get a bowl like this for salads and to keep the BSFL in along w/ the small dubia roaches -- Amazon.com
When you get the UVB please post back on here the screen on the tank will determine placement and distance for it

Attachments

• 17141483420606930921344673298958.jpg
    17141483420606930921344673298958.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 23

ChileanTaco

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
So you saying his lights are bad ? Because we were told by the store that sells food for exotic creatures thats its okay for now
At first he ate some lamb lettuce but stoppet eating vegies , only insects .
I can add to what KarrieRee wrote: Coils are not the correct ones - they are dangerous. It is super crucial for your dragon's health, from the beginning on. These coil lamps will lead to MBD, a serious disease of bones and nerves which leads to disability and death. Spasms are a first sign of that. So it is important to get the tube light, along with getting the temperature correct. Otherwise his body cannot use the calcium.

You haven't done any wrong as you tried to get appropriate lights, but sadly often wrong advice is given, even at pet stores, and those coils are often sold "for bearded dragons", even with bearded dragon image on the package. This is why we here in the forum immediately ask for those things.

Skyfall350

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
I can add to what KarrieRee wrote: Coils are not the correct ones - they are dangerous. It is super crucial for your dragon's health, from the beginning on. These coil lamps will lead to MBD, a serious disease of bones and nerves which leads to disability and death. Spasms are a first sign of that. So it is important to get the tube light, along with getting the temperature correct. Otherwise his body cannot use the calcium.

You haven't done any wrong as you tried to get appropriate lights, but sadly often wrong advice is given, even at pet stores, and those coils are often sold "for bearded dragons", even with bearded dragon image on the package. This is why we here in the forum immediately ask for those things.
So i need a long uvb light and is the uva lamp good or do i need to change it aswell?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So i need a long uvb light and is the uva lamp good or do i need to change it aswell?
You need to get both the UVB fixture and a good solid clear bright white basking bulb they provide UVA - I would also look at getting him off the sand --- babies are really bad about ingesting sand and it will cause impaction --- you can use paper towels for now or some textured NON adhesive shelf liner - cut to the size of the tank - clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 wipe down with clean cloth

ChileanTaco

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
The UVB coil is the most problematic one - this must be exchanged with a tube fixture.
The UVA one might be okay but is not of the recommended brands. I would exchange it also.

Regarding the sand: This looks very powdery to me, like sand you can let run through your fingers. Not good because of ingestion, also it can get in their nose, and walking on loose sand can cause problems with the joints.
I'd also recommend what KarrieRee wrote regarding this. I do keep my dragon on sand (IMHO fine especially once they are larger), but the sand in my dragon's enclosure is not fine and powdery but forms a solid surface like you would see it on a hiking trail. Once you use sand, I'd recommend playsand mixed with organic soil (no fertilizers, no styrofoam balls in the soil) and burrowing clay (Zoo Med Excavator Clay Burrowing Substrate). (I can use natural sand directly from the desert but this is a situation in which you might not be, and the above will be a very good replacement.) Spraying this lightly with water, it will form a solid surface when it's drying under the lamps.

Skyfall350

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Could you maybe tell me which one is the best from this site please ? Thanks !
Its complicated to order stuff from amazon in Lithuania
And here is diffrent marking and numbers i dont yet understand.

Skyfall350

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo

Dont know if you get notified when i just post and not reply so ill copy paste reply

Exo Terra

terariumai.lt
terariumai.lt

Skyfall350

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Nutrition Content
Dont know if you get notified when i just post and not reply so ill copy paste reply.

Exo Terra

terariumai.lt
terariumai.lt

ChileanTaco

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
I'm only familiar with the T5 tubes, but those are T8. Are there other stores that sell T5? (I understand that things can be different to get in some countries; i'm in the same situation and as well cannot order from Amazon.)
Otherwise, if there is no store that sells T5: I'm not familiar with the T8 ones, maybe somebody else knows?

Skyfall350

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
I'm only familiar with the T5 tubes, but those are T8. Are there other stores that sell T5? (I understand that things can be different to get in some countries; i'm in the same situation and as well cannot order from Amazon.)
Otherwise, if there is no store that sells T5: I'm not familiar with the T8 ones, maybe somebody else knows?
Maybe something good here ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
T 8s are good for smaller tanks - distance needs to be closer than the T 5's they are not as strong as the T 5 and expire faster than T 5's -- if I post a link coming from Amazon can you get the product? How about this site Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO 10.0 UVB 24w-39w this is just the bulb - you need a fixture so I am gonna post the Arcadia Arcadia Pro T5 UVB Kit - Desert 12%
https://www.amazon.com/Reptisun-T5-...&sprefix=zoo+med+reptile+UVB+,aps,112&sr=8-43
you can try and contact Zoo Med - see if they can provide a website for order directly from them

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom