Young beardie won't eat! Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardlover

Juvie Member
My beardie is about 7-8 months (give or take) and she suddenly stopped eating. Normally she loves to eat her fruit/veggies, crickets and super worms but recently she shows little to no interest in her food. Her eyes are starting to look sunken in and she has become bony around her back hips. Does any one have any suggestions on what to do or why she won't eat? HELP!!!

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
You can try a slurry. Here is a recipe that a rescuer gave me just in case.

OH! And pedialite can help TONS for an appetite boost. Also, the leopard gecko slurry may help as well:
"In a blender, combine:

1 small can Hill's A/D pet food (available at most vets)
¼ cup Ensure (not chocolate)
1 jar baby food squash or pumpkin
¼ cup Pedialite
*2 tabs or contents of 2 capsules milk thistle (herbal supplement, liver purifier, found at most drug stores).
*2 tabs or contents of 2 capsules of Acidophilus (GI system probiotic, found at most drug stores).
1 tsp. calcium powder w/Vitamin D3
1/2 tsp. herp vitamin powder
2-4 X-large handful of mealworms, added slowly while mixture is blending until it is about the consistency of a milkshake.

*optional ingredients

Puree all ingredients until completely smooth. Pour into ice cube tray(s) and freeze. Store cubes in zip-lock bag in the freezer until ready to use, then thaw out 1 cube at a time and store in fridge for 2-3 days. You can use the empty baby food jar for this purpose, washing it thoroughly after each use.

Using this mixture, draw a full 1ml dropper (eye dropper type) and place a drop on the gecko's nose, being careful not to plug the nostrils. Be patient and do not force-feed! The gecko will lick it of its nose, and as it does, slowly squeeze out a little at a time. Most geckos love this food, and will lap it up. "

Replace the meal worms with roaches though.

Try this and see if it helps. Also give a bath that helps to stimulate appetites.
Hope this helps out !
Janie.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
The slurry is a great way to help get nutrition going but I would also like ot figire out why your beardie isnt eating as well.What type of UVB are you using?How old is it?What are the temps in the tank?How and Where are you measuring them?What do you normally feed and how much/often?When was your beardies last poop?How often are you bathing him?

Edit:Janie I just saw your slurry recipe.I am not sure that is the best method for beardies.Isnt that a gecko formula?Beardies dont tolerate lactose well.I would just go with a simple babyfood/pedialyte/calcium slurry to start with.

beardlover

Juvie Member
Original Poster
She is about 7-8 months old, and has been having regular bowl movements...2 small ones yesterday and a normal sized one the day before that.
She gets fed twice a day, crickets (dusted in reptile vitamins) at one feeding and either fruit (apples, peeled grapes...) or veggies (lettuce, bell peppers...).
The temps in her cage rage from 80 at the warmest to 70 at the coolest. I have 4 thermometers in her tank and she has all new UV bulbs (all have been replaced within the last 2 months).
Last week I hadn't noticed her poop in a couple days so I gave her a bath and she has been regular since.
This morning she acknowledged her veggies but didn't eat any, instead she went directly to her water dish and drank more then I have ever seen her drink.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Okay the first thing we need to do is get those temps up. Basking temps should be right around 100-120*F. I would recommend a 40w house hold flood light, and work up from there. Cool end should be around 80*, no less than 60-65* at night.
You can also use a Ceramic Heat Emitter, no light but all heat.
Janie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom