Yolk Coelomitis / Pre Ovulatory Stasis

bleav913

I rescued a Female Bearded Dragon a couple months ago from terrible, terrible conditions. She was in very poor health and we didn’t think she was going to even make the night - she did, and began to recover and thrive!

In the last couple of weeks, she stopped eating and began losing weight again. I took her into the vet immediately and we did more blood work & xrays.

She has Pre Ovulatory Stasis and probably yolk coelomitis, which has made it difficult for her to breathe. The Vet estimated a 50/50 survival rate if we went through with the surgery.

Knowing that we decided we should do what we can to get her healthy enough to increase those odds by treating her Coccidia and syringe feeding again. It was going great for a week and a half, until she stopped eating her greens. She still shows interest in worms, and ate them great until it looked too difficult for her to eat.

I want to go through with the surgery ASAP because it’s her only chance at having a happy & healthy life, but I’m worried I’m being selfish. It truly is the one thing that could save her and she’s already beat the odds many times before this. But what if whole waiting for the surgery, she passes painfully :(

I called the vet early this morning, but she wasn’t in today. Hercules (beardie) has also had a black beard for the first time in months in the last 2 days. Not always constant, but she hasn’t had one since the first couple weeks I had her.

I need an opinion, or advice on what to do, or a similar story, please!

Attachments

• A49B1519-F7C8-4844-AB9B-9F138A247974.jpeg
    A49B1519-F7C8-4844-AB9B-9F138A247974.jpeg
    217.3 KB · Views: 92

Axil

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
Ultimately you are in the best position to know if it's time to let her go or not.

Because you asked, I'll share a story that happened to me a few years back. We had a wonderful dog named Loki who suddenly took a very bad turn. He had a nose bleed one night, and by morning could barely walk. When we took him to the vet they ran some tests and said his kidneys were failing, he had a bad infection, and they'd have to transfer him immediately to another vet for a blood transfusion and more testing. They didn't think he'd make it. My wife and I cried, talked about it, and decided with such a poor prognosis we didn't want him to suffer anymore and had him put down.

I have regretted that decision every day of my life since.

I don't know if all the treatment in the world would've saved him, the vet thought the chances were low. But an animal can't tell you when they are done fighting, and for me personally I'll never take the chance away from one of mine again if there is any way I can afford the treatment.

I'm sorry my story is not a happy one, and I would never judge someone else whatever they choose when put in a position like yours. But i wish someone had told me something similar before i made my decisions, so i figured i'd tell you how it was for me.

bleav913

Original Poster
Ultimately you are in the best position to know if it's time to let her go or not.

Because you asked, I'll share a story that happened to me a few years back. We had a wonderful dog named Loki who suddenly took a very bad turn. He had a nose bleed one night, and by morning could barely walk. When we took him to the vet they ran some tests and said his kidneys were failing, he had a bad infection, and they'd have to transfer him immediately to another vet for a blood transfusion and more testing. They didn't think he'd make it. My wife and I cried, talked about it, and decided with such a poor prognosis we didn't want him to suffer anymore and had him put down.

I have regretted that decision every day of my life since.

I don't know if all the treatment in the world would've saved him, the vet thought the chances were low. But an animal can't tell you when they are done fighting, and for me personally I'll never take the chance away from one of mine again if there is any way I can afford the treatment.

I'm sorry my story is not a happy one, and I would never judge someone else whatever they choose when put in a position like yours. But i wish someone had told me something similar before i made my decisions, so i figured i'd tell you how it was for me.
Thank you so so much for sharing!! I will pay anything to get her the surgery and get her feeling better because miracles can happen!! She’s already lived way longer than anyone thought she would.

Problem now is keeping her okay until she can get in for surgery. The vet isn’t back in until Monday at the earliest 😕 and it’s been scary. But she fights incredibly hard. I can see itwith how she regulates her breathing when it gets bad and how she carries herself. Definitely seems more difficult than before, but I can see her trying. It would’ve been easier for her to let go at any point throughout all of this with how bad it’s been. I don’t want to give up on her or let her down because I don’t think either of us are done fighting yet.

If it was her heart or something, then yes. But she just needs a common surgery w a few more risky factors :) *that’s what i’m telling myself ayleast*

I’m so very sorry about your dog 🫶🏻 And thank you so so much, again!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

We are all pulling for her!
This type of surgery is pretty routine, so everything should go smoothly! As long as they
anesthetize her properly she shouldn't have any complications. How is she doing today,
any black bearding?

Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

bleav913

Original Poster
Hello,

We are all pulling for her!
This type of surgery is pretty routine, so everything should go smoothly! As long as they
anesthetize her properly she shouldn't have any complications. How is she doing today,
any black bearding?

Keep us posted on her.

Tracie
Hi!! Thank you for your response!

The vet is very experienced when it comes to this surgery, our only concern is how sick she is, if she’ll even survive it.

She’s had a pretty consistent black beard for days now, but changes how dark it is, so it’s not always black black.

I wasn’t able to give her her Coccidia medicine the last 3 times bc of complications consuming things right now. She also hasn’t eaten in quite a bit, which isn’t great for her strength ofc leading up to a potential surgery. She’s also still dragging herself around more instead of walking.

She’s still pretty alert when it comes to moving her head and eyes around to look at things, not as much as before, but I can see her trying. She has tried to eat a bit of greens - she’ll eat 1, go bask, eat another then basking again. Her effort is definitely there.

The vet should be back tomorrow, instead of today:( so I will call again tomorrow, but she does have an appt that was scheduled already for this coming Wednesday evening for a recheck, a fecal and another antibiotic injection… so if I don’t hear from anyone tomorrow, I’m hoping Wednesday will be okay.

Very nervous about all of this waiting because I feel like we’re racing against the clock, even if it’s just a day or two extension.

Thank you!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I know, anytime they go through a surgery it is nerve wracking!
Poor girl, she probably isn't feeling optimal but hopefully you can get her doing better soon.
It's too bad she's still dragging herself around right now. At least she's still alert though so
that's a good sign.
Is she losing any weight right now? Bless her it does sound like she is trying to eat & is still
fighting! Did you hear back from the vet's office?

Tracie

bleav913

Original Poster
Hello,

Poor girl, she probably isn't feeling optimal but hopefully you can get her doing better soon.
It's too bad she's still dragging herself around right now. At least she's still alert though so
that's a good sign.
Is she losing any weight right now? Bless her it does sound like she is trying to eat & is still

Tracie
Hi!!

Her surgery is booked for May 15. If she seems to be doing better by then, we’ll push back the surgery date and continue w antibiotics since we’re not 100% sure what we’ll find if we go right into surgery.

She did lose another 20 grams, but not surprised as she didn’t eat for almost a week. Sitting at 254 grams right now. Working on getting that back up!

She ate yesterday and she pooped today!! Took a fecal in and the coccidia is cleared! They did however find a large amount of something that starts with F? And will go on metronidazole?

Attachments

• IMG_0803.jpeg
    IMG_0803.jpeg
    228.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 14EBB6400A97_20230428220641052.mov
    2.7 MB
  • IMG_0779.jpeg
    IMG_0779.jpeg
    215.5 KB · Views: 48

bleav913

Original Poster
Hello,

that's a good sign.

Tracie
Trying to upload a video of her eating; she was very alert then. Says file is too large even though it’s 9 seconds 😩

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh so they did find some Flagelletes? The Metronidazole should take care of that. I'm sure
that will clear it up. I hope she is feeling better soon & can get back to her normal activity
levels, too.

Tracie

bleav913

Original Poster
Hello,

Oh so they did find some Flagelletes? The Metronidazole should take care of that. I'm sure
that will clear it up. I hope she is feeling better soon & can get back to her normal activity
levels, too.

Tracie
Yes!! That was the word lol thank you! She’s still been pretty slow, but she has another injection this Saturday and then we’ll see how she’s doing closer to the surgery date.

Thank you so much for checking in!

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom