Yellow spot in mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

oatmeal

Hello again! I know I said I wouldn't post anymore about my rescue guy (viewtopic.php?f=45&t=220260), but I noticed last night a yellow/orange discoloured spot on his gums. When I initially got him Nov10/15, I did check out his oral cavity and noticed that the teeth on his lower jaw seemed discoloured. I chalked this up to poor diet leading to poor oral health and not necessarily an active infection of some sort. My oldest beardie (nearly 14 yo now) has some discoloured teeth, so I wasn't too worried about this guy as he's also a bit older (8-9 yo).
However, I went to syringe feed him a small amount of olive oil (no poops in a few days), and noticed this:

full

There is no foul odour or discharge. I scraped the area with a blunted toothpick, and there was no residue that came off. I ended up swabbing the area last night with dilute chlorhexidine, but I'm a bit stumped as to what this could be.
Unfortunately, I haven't been monitoring the area closely, so I don't know what the progression as been like :(

The other side (his left side) does not look like this. The teeth are discoloured, but no discolouration of the gums.

Any ideas? :? I'm a bit worried!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That doesn't look so hot. Hopefully it's natural coloring and isn't progressing but I'd try to keep the area as clean as you can. Do you see gum deterioration, missing teeth, or jawbone visible? I suggest swabbing his teeth and gums with some Maxi Guard on a q-tip a couple of times a day. If it's bacterial in nature that may help fight it. http://www.amazon.com/MaxiGuard-Oral-Cleansing-Gel-oz/dp/B000FUOCOA If that doesn't help, a vet may need to cut away the infected tissue if it's deemed to be stomatitis.

How is he doing otherwise? Please do keep us updated on his progress and post as much as you'd like.

oatmeal

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3fahdlhr said:
That doesn't look so hot. Hopefully it's natural coloring and isn't progressing but I'd try to keep the area as clean as you can. Do you see gum deterioration, missing teeth, or jawbone visible? I suggest swabbing his teeth and gums with some Maxi Guard on a q-tip a couple of times a day. If it's bacterial in nature that may help fight it. http://www.amazon.com/MaxiGuard-Oral-Cleansing-Gel-oz/dp/B000FUOCOA If that doesn't help, a vet may need to cut away the infected tissue if it's deemed to be stomatitis.

How is he doing otherwise? Please do keep us updated on his progress and post as much as you'd like.

Right? Doesn't look great! He's doing fine otherwise. I've been tubing him critical care daily with fluids. Right now he isn't pooping, so I'm holding off on crit care and just giving fluids. He seems to be doing pretty well though besides this mouth thing that's popped up. His coordination is still pretty clumsy, but the other day I saw him flip over and right himself :eek:
I'll look around for some oral cleansing solution. I can think of a few places that might sell it or something similar. Of course I discover this right before I go back to work for a bunch of 12 hour shifts! Yeesh lol..

It's very odd though.. no signs of infection besides the discoloured tissue. I don't think the gum has receded. He does have some missing teeth around his mouth, but in those areas the gums look healthy (pale, but not orange/yellow). I don't see any jaw bone when I inspect the area, but then I'm not too sure what I'm looking for either :S I'll monitor it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom