Yellow fungus

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i bought a bearded dragon in january his tail had to be amputated a few months ago because his tail looked like it was a badly retained shed. So after that his tail looked like it started doing it again and there was some yellow spots under the tight spot in his tail. Then he got another on the side of his tail. So i brought him back to the vet and she said it looks like he had yellow fungus all along. His tail has to be amputated up even farther this time and hell have almost nothing left now. Im takingg him in later today to get this done. But do you think theres any chance it could spread even more after its all cut off? How do i take care of a bearded dragon with this? And should i clean his tank with anything specific before he comes back from the vet so he doesnt just catch it again? Im so sick of going back to the vet every month but i guess this is what i get for getting one from petsmart:(

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You might want to discuss medicine with the vet. Perhaps a combination of topical anti-fungals along with internal meds like Voriconizole to help beat the infection. You also want to keep any surface that comes into contact with your dragon sanitized to help prevent re-infection. Using F10SC should be effective for doing this as mentioned.

Trashboat69

Original Poster
85633-3901012428.jpg

I forgot to mention i bought this disinfectant spray for his tank a while ago i use this everytime i clean his tank. Its called chlorhexidine solution and its safe for animals and is antifungal would this work just as good as the one youre mentioning if i clean everything in there with it?

Yeah im gunna have to ask about getting some type of medicine like that for him, theyre cutting off the entire yellow/brown tight area today, but im wondering is there any way it could still be there in his body and spread again even if all the yellow spots appear to be gone? I think last time they didnt get it all because they thought it was just a retained shed and cut where his tail was hanging

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah that disinfectant should work as well. My concern with cutting the visible area is that there may be smaller areas of infection that you may not be seeing that could be stopped from growing by offering antifungal meds.

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
Chlorhexidine diacetate is a disinfectant, bactericide, viricide. Marketed as Nolvasan. I am unsure about its ability to kill fungus.

Chlorhexidine gluconate 2% is a germicidal. This is the one that does not have to be rinsed. I'm pretty sure this one does not kill fungus.

Trashboat69

Original Poster
The vet told me they offer something called a byopsy to test if theres any more fungus on him we arent seeing after his tail gets amputated. I think i might just end up doing that to be safe. Hopefully it all works>.<

Trashboat69

Original Poster
DaisyDragon123":qepvez0p said:
Chlorhexidine diacetate is a disinfectant, bactericide, viricide. Marketed as Nolvasan. I am unsure about its ability to kill fungus.

Chlorhexidine gluconate 2% is a germicidal. This is the one that does not have to be rinsed. I'm pretty sure this one does not kill fungus.

Hm okay maybe ill have to try that other one you mentioned. Do you know anywhere i could buy it from today he just got dropped off at the vet so i cant order it online or anything because i want his tank completely cleaned by the time i get him back home. Also i use a repti carpet for his substrate should i throw that out or would cleaning that too be okay?

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
F10sc can be ordered online. Your vet would probably be able to advise you as to which product he recommends. You might ask him or her to give you enough to get by.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom